2.0 egr pipe removal

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Hi, long story short... I have a 2014 tdi jetta. I purchased a darkside egr pipe so that I could get some boost readings since malone tune and ps3 gauge have problems displaying boost values together.

Has anyone removed the egr tube that goes from the egr valve and disappears behind the engine? That thing kicked my butt. I had airbox and battery and cool air charge tube removed and some other things but just couldn't get to the 13mm bolts which look to be on the turbo. What a pita. I'm thinking of just tapping into the egr itself. Any suggestions on getting that tube removed? Removal is one thing and getting blockoff plate back on looks to be another challenge. I ran out of time and had to put all of that crap back together. Grrrr :confused:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Which EGR pipe are you talking about? There are two completely separate EGR systems on that car. High or low pressure? From where to where?

I find the best way to get at some items on these cars is to make more room by taking stuff out of the way. But some of it is pretty buried in there for sure.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Which EGR pipe are you talking about? There are two completely separate EGR systems on that car. High or low pressure? From where to where?

I find the best way to get at some items on these cars is to make more room by taking stuff out of the way. But some of it is pretty buried in there for sure.
Looks to be a low pressure tube. If looking at the front of the engine, it is the goldish tube that connects to the right side of the EGR. Typically has some meshing on it and it runs towards the back of the engine and I traced it out to exhaust manifold? The darkside kit came with a blockoff plate and I'm assuming that would be where it goes if you remove the tube. Rusty studs with some 13 mm bolts to it holding the tube on. Part of the problem I think is not using the right tools since all my stuff got stolen during Harvey. Working with some basic craftsman stuff at the moment. Have to come up with something clever to get up in there..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If your just looking for a boost reading you shouldn't have to do anything to the EGR nor a EGR tap, just need to tap intake path (near IC or before the intake valve) and connect it to the P3 gauge.

Which P3 gauge do you have, the one with the dedicated boost tap? If not, the lesser one only reads the boost via ECU which maybe the issue you're having.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Looks to be a low pressure tube. If looking at the front of the engine, it is the goldish tube that connects to the right side of the EGR. Typically has some meshing on it and it runs towards the back of the engine and I traced it out to exhaust manifold? The darkside kit came with a blockoff plate and I'm assuming that would be where it goes if you remove the tube. Rusty studs with some 13 mm bolts to it holding the tube on. Part of the problem I think is not using the right tools since all my stuff got stolen during Harvey. Working with some basic craftsman stuff at the moment. Have to come up with something clever to get up in there..

Also that's the high pressure EGR system, goes from the hot side of the turbo to the intake.

LP goes from after the DPF thru EGR cooler then back to the intake path before the intake of the turbo.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
If your just looking for a boost reading you shouldn't have to do anything to the EGR nor a EGR tap, just need to tap intake path (near IC or before the intake valve) and connect it to the P3 gauge.

Which P3 gauge do you have, the one with the dedicated boost tap? If not, the lesser one only reads the boost via ECU which maybe the issue you're having.

I have purchased the analog boost adapter. It was reading digital from the ecu until tunes were introduced.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is the high side EGR tube, it goes from the turbocharger housing (exhaust manifold) around to the EGR valve.

Those rear nuts are tricky, for sure... I use a wobble extension, and have the ratchet over near the master cylinder. I've had a few of those off, due to turbo failures, so I know what you mean. I remove the center hold down clamp and the bolts at the EGR valve, and weasel it out. Actually, when doing a turbo, I just leave it lay loose and out of the way. Just so long as it clears the studs you can slide the turbo assembly off.

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
So was there ever any write up or videos or pics of how to remove and block this tube off? I'm in the same boat of race pipe and not wanting to use the included block off plate on the stinkin pipe sittin there

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So was there ever any write up or videos or pics of how to remove and block this tube off? I'm in the same boat of race pipe and not wanting to use the included block off plate on the stinkin pipe sittin there
The plate goes on the exhaust manifold. Not on the EGR valve side. I can make a video for you tomorrow if you really need.

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Just a list of stuff to take off so can remove that pipe for good and block off correctly and not get a leak. Its my DD so i just try to make sure I'm squared away on research before tearing stuff apart lol. Remove airbox and can get to it? Or jack up and go from underneath the car near where the rawtec block side blockoff plate went?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just a list of stuff to take off so can remove that pipe for good and block off correctly and not get a leak. Its my DD so i just try to make sure I'm squared away on research before tearing stuff apart lol. Remove airbox and can get to it? Or jack up and go from underneath the car near where the rawtec block side blockoff plate went?
Well to remove mine.... I cut it in multiple places. Lots has to come off to remove it ...

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
To install the block off plate on the manifold. Intake has to come off . Total intake to the turbo. Loosen the EGR tube. Put new gasket in, add plate. You have a thick or thin one? If thin it's sandwiched between the gasket and tube flange. If thick one don't reinstall the tube .

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thank you. That's what I'm sayin. I cant find one video that has that process in it. I'm just the type where if i don't have a diy guide it will 100% get messed up in some way. Cant change how many times i was dropped on my head, can only move forward lol