ZDDP additive?

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Hello all!
My oil change is due very soon in my 2006 Jetta TDI and I am thinking of getting a bottle of ZDDP. I didn't know what the ratio is for ZDDP to oil. KermaTDI sells a 4ounce bottle and I believe it says to add the entire bottle to 5 quarts but I also read that some people only add 1-2 ounces of the additive...Just wondering if anyone here has used it before and can give some input. Thank you!

- Dalon

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Too bad you don't read other posts here.
Just posted yesterday.
It comes down to - if you love your car - put the correct oil in it, without additives. It will keep going longer, with fewer problems (at least related to lubrication).
What scooperhsd said.

The only thing that should ever be added to the high quality diesel rated synthetic oil in your TDI is MORE high quality diesel rated synthetic oil to top the level off if necessary.

Last edited:

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Hello all!
My oil change is due very soon in my 2006 Jetta TDI and I am thinking of getting a bottle of ZDDP. I didn't know what the ratio is for ZDDP to oil. KermaTDI sells a 4ounce bottle and I believe it says to add the entire bottle to 5 quarts but I also read that some people only add 1-2 ounces of the additive...Just wondering if anyone here has used it before and can give some input. Thank you!

- Dalon
Dalon, First, presuming you're using a good oil for your BRM (Mobil 1 TDT, Rotella T6, among others), adding ZDDP is a good idea to mitigate for wear of your cam and lifters. Your particular vehicle is more vulnerable to the cam/lifter wear than the BEW of the previous years and probably any other TDI.

These better oils actually have a goodly amount of zinc in them but it does wear out. I add half a bottle at 6500 miles into my OCI and the other half at 13000 miles (I change at 20K intervals due to a 2 micron bypass filter system).

My UOAs always come back stellar with notation from Blackstone that I could go longer on the intervals.

Two TDI gurus I know advocate for ZDDP use.

There are plenty of other threads on this topic too!

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Dalon, First, presuming you're using a good oil for your BRM (Mobil 1 TDT, Rotella T6, among others), adding ZDDP is a good idea to mitigate for wear of your cam and lifters. Your particular vehicle is more vulnerable to the cam/lifter wear than the BEW of the previous years and probably any other TDI.

These better oils actually have a goodly amount of zinc in them but it does wear out. I add half a bottle at 6500 miles into my OCI and the other half at 13000 miles (I change at 20K intervals due to a 2 micron bypass filter system).

My UOAs always come back stellar with notation from Blackstone that I could go longer on the intervals.

Two TDI gurus I know advocate for ZDDP use.

There are plenty of other threads on this topic too!
Yeah I had been using Amsoil and was just wondering if I should add ZDDP for safe measure. So do you add any ZDDP initially or just two ounces at 6500 miles? Thank you!

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Just out of curiosity, what amsoil blend are you running in your brm? Afl has given some unfavorable uoa results to a number of us including myself. Hopefully you are using DEO. It's add pack is better suited for the flat tappet cam in our engines. As for ZDDP doping, I have experimented with it myself and I have found that if I use it or if I don't I see very similiar results in uoa's. As posted above ZDDP can be used when running an extended oci as the ZDDP is used up over time and may fall to sub par numbers depending on the original level within the oil you are using. I plan on using up my store of ZDDP and just running the oil without it. I do not run my oil past 10-12k miles, so replenishment is not needed and a good cj4 rated oil has so much zinc in it already adding ZDDP is not necessary, nor harmful as long as you do not dump 6 bottles in. So use it if you want. It's not going to hurt anything. My 2 cents from my experience. Others may have a different experience with it.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I add half a bottle at 6500 miles into my OCI and the other half at 13000 miles (I change at 20K intervals due to a 2 micron bypass filter system).
Great advice to someone who probably doesn't use a 2 micron bypass and probably doesn't do 20k OCI's. You have been very helpful draining the OPs wallet by telling him that the Gurus you know advocate additional zinc outside of what is in the oil to start with.
Please list your Gurus and tell us why they advocate Zddp in adition to the already boosted zinc pack in a good premium 5W40 diesel oil. More is better?

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Just out of curiosity, what amsoil blend are you running in your brm? Afl has given some unfavorable uoa results to a number of us including myself. Hopefully you are using DEO. It's add pack is better suited for the flat tappet cam in our engines. As for ZDDP doping, I have experimented with it myself and I have found that if I use it or if I don't I see very similiar results in uoa's. As posted above ZDDP can be used when running an extended oci as the ZDDP is used up over time and may fall to sub par numbers depending on the original level within the oil you are using. I plan on using up my store of ZDDP and just running the oil without it. I do not run my oil past 10-12k miles, so replenishment is not needed and a good cj4 rated oil has so much zinc in it already adding ZDDP is not necessary, nor harmful as long as you do not dump 6 bottles in. So use it if you want. It's not going to hurt anything. My 2 cents from my experience. Others may have a different experience with it.
I have previously been using the oil found at this link http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...mula-5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AFLQT-EA Is that the DEO oil? I also do oil changes every 10k currently.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
The first link is afl. Your second link is DEO. You can keep using afl if you want to but that is not a cj4 rated oil. It is however suggested for use were vw505.01 vw spec applies which your engine does. I experienced high we're number during my use of afl. You can find posted used oil analysis of both DEO and afl on this forum. DEO use results in better wear number in the pd engine. Afl is a good oil. DEO is just better for our application as shown in uoa's posted on this very forum? I run afl in my r32 with great results. Totally different beast though. I would say ditch the ZDDP and if you are a proponent of amsoil go with deo. If you are not set on amsoil, do a search. I use Schaeffers s9000 or Mobil 1 tdt. Mobil 1 tdt can be bought at your local Walmart at a good price. Rotella is also good. Cj4 oils perform very well in these engines. Stay with full synthetic 5w40 cj4. Only reason I tried ZDDP Was to see if as stated above, if more is better. In this case there is already so much zinc in the oil there is no benefit to adding more unless you run 2 filter and run your oil for 2 to 3 times the factory suggested interval. Again. That's been my experience. Others may have a different one.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The first link is afl. Your second link is DEO. You can keep using afl if you want to but that is not a cj4 rated oil. It is however suggested for use were vw505.01 vw spec applies which your engine does. I experienced high we're number during my use of afl. You can find posted used oil analysis of both DEO and afl on this forum. DEO use results in better wear number in the pd engine. Afl is a good oil. DEO is just better for our application as shown in uoa's posted on this very forum? I run afl in my r32 with great results. Totally different beast though. I would say ditch the ZDDP and if you are a proponent of amsoil go with deo. If you are not set on amsoil, do a search. I use Schaeffers s9000 or Mobil 1 tdt. Mobil 1 tdt can be bought at your local Walmart at a good price. Rotella is also good. Cj4 oils perform very well in these engines. Stay with full synthetic 5w40 cj4. Only reason I tried ZDDP Was to see if as stated above, if more is better. In this case there is already so much zinc in the oil there is no benefit to adding more unless you run 2 filter and run your oil for 2 to 3 times the factory suggested interval. Again. That's been my experience. Others may have a different one.
Well said my friend, totally unbiased and spoken from experience. Basically use a good cj4 oil and forget about it. All will be well. No Gurus advice and no extended OCI's with added filtration to justify additional ZDPP.

Last edited:

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! I had been running AFL but I ordered DEO today. When I get back from basic training, I am going to get Frank06's camshaft and start running Schaeffer's S9000 with it probably. Thank you for all the help though man! I appreciate it!

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Awesome! I had been running AFL but I ordered DEO today. When I get back from basic training, I am going to get Frank06's camshaft and start running Schaeffer's S9000 with it probably. Thank you for all the help though man! I appreciate it!
glad to help