Pan heater cord routing

jws3

TDI
2001 Silver GLS
Those of you that have installed an oil pan heater, where are you routing the cord, and where does it exit the car to make plugging in easy?

Craig

Veteran Member
Piece of cake. Takes a minute or two. After installing the pad, there is enough clearance for the plug to take it this way. Go up and over the vertical plastic pan mount at the front of the car (driver's side), then through a metal bracket near the horn, then out through the lower grill. I have the plug just sticking out the grill opening, and the plug cover prevents it from going back in. Use one tie rap within a foot of the heater to tie to a hose. Use the other to tie to the bracket by the horn (this is the hardest part if you don’t have small hands). Everything is routed above the belly pan which goes on now.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
To some it is a PITA to do what I have done, but I routed it just behind the radiator fan on the driver's side and then lay the plug by the air filter box, just inside of the edge where the edge of the hood goes. The plug end will drop into a small space there and keep everything out of the way.

When I plug it in, I put a blanket over the engine after raising the hood to get plug access.

Why all this bother? Yes, I admit it is a bother. OTOH, if I didn't have the hood up, some morning I'd jump into the car and drive off without unplugging it, and rip up stuff, possibly causing shorts, circuit breaker pops, or possibly a fire.

I'm just trying to protect me from myself.

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I routed mine like PowderHound but then changed my mind and routed a thick extension cord from the plug at the airbox to underneath the bottom airdam (it's a NB). The plug can be wedged in out of site when not use (which is like most of the time
)

Glenn

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi, I had my pan heater installed at the dealer and a blank type battery warmer. The pan heater cord is routed to the rear drivers side behind the air filter.

The battery warm is in place of the current battery blanket. The cord runs to the back of the air filter box and is connectted to a extension cord. This is routed to the front via the right sides of the air filter and battery, down by the headlamp and out to the right of lic. braket.

I hope this helps

Glenn