Torque Converter replacement

howardc64

TDI
Not TDI :(
Just replaced the TC not too long ago due to chewed up ring gear (RG). Here is some info

- I got a Precision reman TC for about $200. I hear Precision is the best.
- Must get the TC seated at proper depth in the transmission. If not, parts will smash together and ruins tranny internals during reassembly. See link below.
- Good time to replace the differential fluid while the tranny is out. Pump it out and pour the same amount back in.
- Last and the most important part! My Napa remanufactured starter was still riding on the RG after starting (this is what chewed up the RG to begin with). I had to lubricate the bandix (I just used a light teflon bicycle chain oil. Just pull the bandix out and lube the shaft) so it wouldn't get hung up on the bushing when retracting. There is a lot of spring tension to pull the bendix back but I guess any hang up on the return will cause it to ride on the RG. I'll probably pull the starter every couple of years to lube the bendix based on how much problem this starter design have with hanging on the RG (seems common for this car)
- This MKIV has 4 different starters for this car. Manual and auto have different number of teeth and TDI's starter motor is bigger. So get the right one.
- I replaced the seal between TC and transmission with OEM seal. No leaks. You can decide for yourself. Old seal "looked" perfectly fine.

Here is where I got all the DIY info.

http://kansascitytdi.com/how-to/

Last edited: