2003 jetta tdi turbo rebuild.

moose187

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 176k miles, 2001 jetta tdi 208k miles
Hello, im going to rebuild my turbo soon and i need to know what seals or gaskets that i should be replace when i do this. Also any advice for doing this will be greatly appreciated as well.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Use the part number off your turbo and buy the right kit, it'll come with everything you need. If the compressor or turbine are damaged though they need to be bought separately.

The nut on the compressor end is a left hand thread too and remember you'll either need to mark the nut, compressor wheel and shaft really well so you can put it all back exactly as is or it'll need to get balanced.

That nut comes off then the compressor wheel then the turbine wheel and shaft come out then you split the cartridge. Lay all the parts out one at a time as you dismantle it in the order they come out so you know where it all goes back in.

For the housings the cold side is just 6 little bolts and off it comes but the exhaust end will probably need a good soaking, those little 10mm bolts can break quite easy and the housing is often stuck on quite well with the heat, rust and carbon. It'll need a bit of hammering to get it off. Just look up vnt cleaning for more on that.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Buy a new one.

OP: said perhaps in a different way... the factory does not consider these turbos to be rebuildable...there are no factory-made rebuild kits available. Meaning: any rebuild kits you find are after-market, for better or worse.

Lots of folks rebuild them, lots of folks decide that when they go bad they can take your engine with them.. and buy new. 'Tis a call only the individual can make. :):)

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Don't mess with it. Buy a new one from one of the trusted vendors on here. Frans has rebuilt ones too. His are laser balanced and reliable. There aren't any trustworthy domestic turbo rebuilders for our high rpm tdi turbos. Search my threads and save your money. A good used one is also an option if you know your source.

moose187

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 176k miles, 2001 jetta tdi 208k miles
There is a pretty good rebuild kit on amazon. It costs about 60 bucks. Unfortunately it was sooo badly damaged from rust and saltwater damage i had to replace. I sis get the right gaskets due to everybody's advice so thank you

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
There is a pretty good rebuild kit on amazon. It costs about 60 bucks. Unfortunately it was sooo badly damaged from rust and saltwater damage i had to replace. I sis get the right gaskets due to everybody's advice so thank you

Glad you got it all sorted. Did you do the install yourself?

congrats