Bad driver door harness effectng rear door window/locks

oakdub

TDI
06 Jetta
So my parents are having some problems with their 06 TDI Jetta...
It started with the driver side door lock/unlock switch not unlocking the doors, which seems like its probably an issue with the driver door wiring harness which was a common issue on these years. But now the driver side rear door wont lock and the window wont go up or down.
What im trying to see is if a faulty driver side door wiring harness could cause problems with the rear door as well? Or is the rear door most likely a separate issue like a faulty door lock module which was also a common problem?
If someone could save me some time before I go and take apart 2 doors and lock modules that would be great. :)

jsharum

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Its possible to be the module yes. Also possible to be the wiring. Best to scan it with VCDS to know.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If the wiring is messed up scanning it may not tell you much, if anything. Scans only work if they can communicate with everything and if the wiring is messed up, it may look dead anyway. Fix the wiring properly then scan.

oakdub

TDI
06 Jetta
So I got it working.
Took the door apart and had a look at the old harness, turns out someone has been messing with it. My parents have had the car since new and claim it must of been VW that messed with the harness, when they brought it in for a tranny service a couple years back VW said they "fixed" some wiring in the door.

Fixed wiring:

Anyway instead of trying to sort this mess I just went and bought a new harness at VW, $255. :mad: Installed it and when I went to test the window and door lock, nothing changed. Same issues. Then I remembered I probably had to reset the computer by unplugging the battery for a couple mins. Lo and behold everything works now.

So recap for anyone searching:

Issues before driver door harness swap:
Lock/unlock switch not working
Rear door not closing.
Rear window not opening.

Swapping the driver harness fixed all issues. :)

Thanks for the quick responses guys, im sure someone will find this helpful in the future.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
$255 is highway robbery. I bought a drivers door harness for $125 from 1rst VW Parts, a VW dealers that sells OEM parts online.

Your local dealer probably didn't have the harness in stock so you probably saved zero time over ordering it online.

Last edited:

oakdub

TDI
06 Jetta
$255 is highway robbery. I bought a drivers door harness for $125 from 1rst VW Parts, a VW dealers that sells OEM parts online.

Your local dealer probably didn't have the harness in stock so you probably saved zero time over ordering it online.
It was in stock, which was the only reason I got it. Had the car apart in an attempt to fix the old harness. If I had to wait for the dealer to get it I would just order it online at that point since I would have to put the door back together anyway.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Oh, OK. That is unusual for a dealer to have something like that in stock. I got mine in anticipation of a problem and at 142K miles, my drivers door harness has zero issues.:rolleyes: