Vag Com Help July 17th midnight

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Hay Guys and Gals
LurkerMike and I will be diagnosing my 2000 NB with the help of a vag-com, which LurkerMike is bringing over to my place. We both are new at doing the decode thing and would love to have the help of everyone and anyone who has worked with a vag com. We will be posting the codes and asking for help from ya'll.

My NB has no power and is hard to start. I have R&I the intake and cleaned it, cleaned the egr, changed the vacuum lines, cleaned the IC, checked all electricial connections, replaced the fuel filter, primed the IP, replaced the battery (it just went bad, nothing to do with this problem), the turbo seems to be working, when you take the hose off the egr there is lots of push, the actuator on the turbo is moving about 3/4 of an inch, replaced the MAF as it was throwing that code with an OBD.

The problem started gradually with two or three limp modes, than just driving down the interstate it went into limp mode and has not came out. Yes there is lots of white smoke on start up. Now no power over 2200 rpms.
I don't baby this beauty, always about 80 in 4th while getting onto the interstate. It is meant to be driven hard.

This will be fun and interesting for all of us who have not worked with a vag-com before, we will be giving step by step (play by play, blow by blow) results as we go through this process.

Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat station, tomorrow night at the witching hour of midnight. Hope to get lots of ya'll looking and making suggestions. We will look at them all and answer as we can.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Midnight July 17th EDT.
Richard55

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
What about the n75 valve have you tried a new one or had a go cleaning the one thats on.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Thanks for the input, as of yet I have not replaced or cleaned the N75, I think that may be the problem, just wanted to wait for the vag com before throwing more $ at it.
I will steal the one off LurkerMikes car to check it out, don't tell him he doesn't know that yet. ops he will read this thread won't he?
how do you clean it?

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I have used the dielectric on it and no differance. Anything else or can I tear it apart and clean it. I seems to be holding a vacuum, with a vacuum pump it does not leak down. Could a bad N17 make it run this way?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Check vac lines, also clean both check valves in the vac system.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
we are here and will now post the codes.

Richard’s Bug
VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-UD
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 012 N
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC G400SG 2509
Software Coding: 00002
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
4 Faults Found:
17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation
P1248 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17552 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
P1144 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71): Open/Short to Ground
P1156 - 35-00 - -
17569 - Manifold Temp Sensor (G72): Open or Short to Plus
P1161 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 1 4 0 0 0

anyone have any input please post back.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
P.S. The onset of power loss was gradual and the battery was found to be outputting only 11 volts.

The battery was replaced yet the power loss remained.

We cleared the codes and they did not return yet it was hard to start and was still way down on power.

VAG-COM showed a good fuel balance between all 4 cylinders but the IQ was 9 - 10. The timing was under the upper green line, about half-way from the center blue line to the green upper line.

There was no noticeable blow-by from the dipstick tube.

I did not think about checking the voltage while I was there to verify the alternator was putting out at least 13.5+ volts.

What's the deal with the mash the throttle down and hold it to reset the ECU deal? Could that help?

I don't know what the MAP/MAF should look like or what else to look for?

We didn't swap n75's... I didn't think about it and after meeting me he probably did not want to risk me getting stranded for the night... or three... :eek: :D

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Lurker is so full of s88t, he is a great guy to get to know. He can all the way from Atl to Rutledge with his trustie vag -com in tow, spent 3-4 hours showing me the ropes and on top of all that is a really nice (sic) guy.
Thanks publicly Mike I know I will see you again soon.
If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.
I probably will tow it to Roger next week if no one can come up with an answer from this forum. Roger is booked for the next week or so.
I want my NB back.
Mike the stars are great in the country, aren't they!

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot there were stars in the night sky... heck, I even had forgotten the night sky is supposed to be black and not a light shade of pastel baby blue...

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Roger Feldt is on the updated list now... his associate, Troy (his lastname escapes me at the moment) will be moving to the area soon as well...

-Mike

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Richard55 said:
Lurker
I see that someone in Colorado needs access to a vag com. I told him you would be over tonight at midnight. hahhahaha
Not a problem, you're a pilot, pick me up at Charlie Brown Airport in Mableton GA, fly us out there and land us as close as you can... we could make some $$$ if this catches on! ;) :D :D :D

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
LurkerMike said:
Not a problem, you're a pilot, pick me up at Charlie Brown Airport in Mableton GA, fly us out there and land us as close as you can... we could make some $$$ if this catches on! ;) :D :D :D
Have Vag-com and helicoptor, will scan for $200/hour! That'd be a great slogan for your future business! :eek:

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Ed's TDI said:
Have Vag-com and helicoptor, will scan for $200/hour! That's be a great slogan for your future business! :eek:
Next week I need to see someone with a Vag-com. Can I get a discount for being a club member?:cool:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Ed's TDI said:
Have Vag-com and helicoptor, will scan for $200/hour! That'd be a great slogan for your future business! :eek:
We offer free towing for club members!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
doc_m said:
perhaps to drop off all of the parts you'll be making :) come with personal delivery ;)
Mass production = Mass delivery!

Lurker Factoid: I helped build C130's and C5B's back in the mid-1980's... ;)

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Mike
It 50.00 per hour for fuel and 250.00 and hour for the Mooney, we can break even at about 300.00 per hour. Anyone who wants Paladin and his vag com send money orders with home address to LurkerMike and we will be on our way. We can go in any direction at the rate of about 150 miles per hour. You figure it out and we will be on our way. Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work we go.
PS
We will buzz your house to let you know when we are there.
Richard55

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Chicken,
I will, we used to see the sr71 take off and land at McCord afb in tacoma in the early 70's. It was beautiful and could it climb. I was in the Air Force during the Viet Nam conflict and went all over the world in the jump seat of a starlifter C141, great plane. Lots of C5a time out of Travis AFB in Sacramento CA. More HU's than you can shake a stick at out of Ft Lewis Washington. "Over the top" more times than I want to remember, all in C141s. Longest trip I can remember was Tacoma, Wn to Tel Aviv, Isreal in 1973, don't ever want to go back. It was the longest because we did not go "over the top". I have been in most of the planes you have but not all. I love to fly, but alas not enough time for everything. I miss my 1965 M20C Mooney, one of those things that when you sell it you tell yourself you will just get another one, but that never happens. oh well

Last edited: