Best cam and injectors for AHU fuel economy?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm building an ahu for my 1980 early westy caddy, I've got the lower end built and I'm getting ready to build the head. I have new valves, guides, lifters, seals, etc, I think I plan to mildly port and polish, and all. I'm not going for power (though it's fine if it has more) since it will have much more than the OEM 48hp the truck had before.
My goal is for fuel economy and longevity.
The block is rebuilt with stock internals and I have ARP studs for the head, I have a couple of different turbos i have on hand that I'm considering, they're all a bit bigger than stock. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head though.

Anyway, I'm going to want a new cam, and I'm weighing my options. I've heard some people say that the Colt cams really don't do much in the lower rpm range, which is probably where I'll try to stick. I've also seen people talking about using the stock 1.6 idi cam on the ahu, and saying it's a bit better lift than the stock one? Anybody had experience with any aftermarket ones, or should I stick to stock?
Also on injectors... I'll be having them rebuilt, what's going to be the best tip size?
I'll be tuning, probably with Malone, since that's what the local guy does, I'll be deleting EGR, and MAF, as well as probably turning it up a little bit.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Is it turbocharged? If not, that will be the biggest help in the MPG department.

Cam's, can't help you there, except I've done Colt stage 2 on a couple ALH's,it helped all around, but that could also be due to the cams being worn as well.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Is it turbocharged? If not, that will be the biggest help in the MPG department.

Cam's, can't help you there, except I've done Colt stage 2 on a couple ALH's,it helped all around, but that could also be due to the cams being worn as well.
Yes, it's turbocharged. It's the ahu TDI from a 1997 Jetta. I'm building it to replace the 1.5 diesel from my early westy caddy. Sorry i wasn't very clear about that.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
No worries. As long as everything is optimized, IE no smoke, proper operating temp, that will be the biggest bet for MPG.