The Adventures of CompuDub

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Jason got a little more wiring done on the car and the CB install is complete.

Cobra 29 LX with an Astatic 636L noise canceling mic

Old school Palomar 225HD (nothing to see here...) ;)

Wilson 5000

The Cobra 29 WX NW BT mentioned earlier in this thread has moved to the Jetta and will get a Wilson 1000. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Where's the mike mounted? With the Cobra mounted that way, do you use an external speaker?

I'm still toying with reactivating my K40 CB set.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Mic is hanging from a Gear Keeper retractor that is on the passenger's side sun visor. No external speaker because there's a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the radio and the center console - pretty good audio from the stock speaker in the radio.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I stick a sheet of regular printer paper under the antenna and replace it every few months. Tear off the excess so it's only under the antenna. It does a great job of protecting the paint.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I used a soft cloth under my antenna years ago after putting on a heavy coat of wax; what about a microfiber cloth that you can just rinse out at the end of each week or so?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yep - it's on there all the time. So far there is no paint damage from the printer paper trick. The car is due for a good waxing - I'll be having it detailed in the spring.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Regarding magnet mount antennas and paint damage:

Keep the magnet mount and the paint it sets on perfectly clean. Any dust or dirt acts as an abrasive.
Keep a clean cloth in the car (zip lock) and simply tilt the magnet over and wipe both it and the car off DAILY. (any dew will have a dirt component to it)
If you leave the antenna in place long enough (years) the surrounding paint may fade from exposure. I would not put anything between the magnet and the paint unless it is a 'Magnet Pad' that is a replacement for the one that came on the magnet mount when it was new.

The key here is to keep the area very clean and not let anything imbed itself in the bottom of the mag mount.

Bill

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I notice the hood is up on the 6.0. Typical pose for them. I'm pulling the one out of our van today at 335000 miles.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well I didn't break the 60 MPG mark due to a few extra stops to check the Vanagon - that thing must be the slowest production vehicle on the planet... Seriously. We kept it between 50 and 55 MPH for the 200 mile trip back from Atlantic City (that's the best it could do).

From Atlantic City, NJ to Springfield, VA...

The rest of this tank including the trip up...

950+ miles estimated range. :eek:

And a pic I shot before I stopped by my office on the way home...

So close! :p

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Glad you guys made it home safely.

Yes, it probably IS the slowest production road going vehicle sold here since the '30s.

Jason said it seems like the accelerator pedal wasn't getting full travel, though.

Either way, sounds like it would be best to just trailer it home instead of fly out and drive it back. What is somewhat ironic is that the '55 Ferguson tractor I just sold was trailered back to PA. I could have just brought it out there for the guy.

Not looking forward to driving the F350 that far, but it should make it... just noisy. At least it is closer than it was, thanks a million.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We checked the accelerator and it is working fine. I think trailering it is an excellent idea - unless you're feeling extra adventurous.

oilhammer

TDI
I've had enough adventure in my life recently. :eek:

Is the pump arm moving full swing? There is an adjustment on that (I'm sure you know that, though). There is also a full speed stop, which would need to be set with a tach hooked up of course. Given that Jason said it didn't smoke at all, maybe there is a little fueling left in the pump. I'd not want to tweak it too much, though, given the task that little engine needs to do.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Everything seemed to be functioning normally. There was a slight haze from the exhaust but I'm not sure if that was from oil or fuel or the German demons being expelled out the back. The engineer who decided that a 1.6 diesel would be a good engine for a van this size really needs to have his head examined.

oilhammer

TDI
Hehe, you should drive my buddy's '63 double door panel van with the 40hp 1200 engine. :p

They were really for inner city low speed stop and go delivery. However, it should be able to do 65 on level ground, so it may need some love. (or a turbo :D ).

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
There were some bubble cars that made it to this side of the pond in the 50s and 60s, pretty sure that some of those were slower.

A Messerschmitt KR200 could do 55-60 mph flat-out, as I understand, and that was one of the faster ones.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Our family car was a VW Bus for years, we had three. The first was a '64, 1200cc. I remember that it really wasn't happy going much over 50 MPH, especially when it was cold out, for some reason. It made the '71 60 HP one we had seem like a rocket. Kind of.

oilhammer

TDI
'64 should have been the 1500, '63 was the changeover year (although the 1200 engine option continued in Europe through '67). Easiest way to tell the difference between a 1200 and 1500 Bus engine (without actually driving one) is the carburetor. The 1500 engine had a governor, the 1200 did not. I guess they felt safe unleashing ALL of those 40 horses at once, whereas the 1500's 50 horses needed some reining in. :p

I've owned several 1600 T2 Buses, they were no rockets of course, but they could do 65 on level ground without any problems. My '71 Westy had a tach, and at 65 it was about 3800 RPMs. Those boxers (in stock form) don't really spin much faster. 34mm carb won't let them.

Really the Type IV engines, especially the 2.0L, finally gave the poor Bus some decent power. My 2.0L T2 will cruise at 75 all day long on level ground. They don't really like hills, though. But around town, it is actually pretty peppy. But still, the standard issue engine in the T2 in Europe (and other markets) was a 1600 carb engine, as well as the T3 early on.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
YOU GOT 59 mpg's in the Passat?! That's amazing!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
And what is the one (perhaps more, but pick the most important) thing about it that you'd change?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
3 big items on the list for the Passat: Install the factory HID lights and get the AFS working. Find a way to make the sunroof wind deflector quieter. Replace the noisy Hankook tires at some point. I've done enough diddling that it's a short list now :)

-J