Webasto install

duncgee

Where do I fit The tee for the fuel supply to the Webasto heater? It was suggested by my Webasto supplier that it could be at the filter, I presume this would be on the return line after the filter.

I dont see any posts on the forum where the supply is from this area, they seem to take the supply from the tank as in this pdf http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/1305Standheizung_supplement.pdf

It would be much easier if the supply point and the pump could be within the engine bay.

Thanks.

duncgee

On second thoughts wouldn't it be better to take the fuel supply from the feed side of the filter, between filter and IP? After it goes through the filter the Webasto will get clean fuel.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I wanted to put a filter for mine as well, but chose to go with mounting it in the tank through a hole in the lift pump cover like in the pdf you posted.

So far so good.

Last edited:

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought it would be difficult passing fuel line to the engine bay but it was quite easy. Just do it before it gets too cold (if you don't have access to a garage)

duncgee

mtltdi, thanks for the reply.

I should have said in my first post this is going into a 2000 Jetta tdi

In my kit I didn't get the fittings to go into the sender unit. There is a tee to fit into one of the existing fuel pipes.

I had the fuel gauge sender unit out this afternoon and discovered that I cant tee into the return line as it seems there is a non return valve in that line. So it seems to be the supply line is the one I will be tappping into. I am thinking near the tank rather than in the engine bay as the instructions say bubbles may be formed in the lines from the heat of the engine if the pickup is near it. You saying "it was easy to run the fuel line to the engine bay" also gives me more encouragement to do it that way. Tomorow hopefully.

I am now trying to make sense of the birds nest of wiring. I may have more questions about that yet.

Yes it is getting colder here in NH and no garage. I am fitting this to my sons car. I took it with me from the UK and am heading back there on Monday morning so not much spare time if there are any hicups

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me know if you have any questions and I can snap some pictures of how I installed mine. Good luck!

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
I fuel mine from a 5L fuel can in the trunk of my wagon. Easy to empty in the spring and since I run biodiesel in the main tank I didn't want to connect to that fuel source. It's worked fine the last two winters.

duncgee

mtltdi, I have had a look at your Page 21: Standheizung! - Webasto Coolant Heater. Very encouraging!

Like you we have the Telestart T100 HTM but I dont have a timer.

In the main Webasto harness there is a heavy red and a heavy black wire wrapped together connected to the relay. Am I correct in thinking the wire from fuse 25 to the vehicle heater fan should be cut? Connnect the red wire to the fuse side of the cut wire to the relay? The black wire then goes from the relay to the heater side of the cut wire?

There is another heavy red wire which I presume connects to one of the terminals on the fuse box above the battery?

Edit Nov 2008
I didn't connect this heavy red wire above the battery I connected it to terminal 30 under the dash.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'd hook it up to the clean supply side coming from the filter. After all, the heater and engine will never be running at the same time.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I run mine together when idling in traffic. Keeps the temp needle from going back to nothing. :)

A nice 5l container is a good idea, I would want some sort of fuel cell, nice and well sealed.

duncgee

Thanks guys for all the replys.

Thinking too that there will be times when both the car and the Webasto will be running

Well things didn't start well today.

I was going to put the car up on the ramps but she wouldnt start. I thought it might have been something I had done, but no not this time. Turned out it was the starter gone kaput. It had only been on the car about 20 months. When I compared the new starter to the old one the new one was almost an inch longer. New starter now fitted and it appears to start the engine with more biff.

Got the car on the ramps but not enough room under the centre where the tank is. I used the jack to lift the car but it fell over before I could get any blocks under. Next time I got my wife to keep her foot on the brake as I jacked the car. It stayed up there long enough untill I got the blocks in and made it safe.

As for fitting the Webasto. mtltdi, I tried passing the fuel line down the same trunking as the diesel feed and return but it just wouldnt go no mater how much I pushed and twisted. I wondered if it was possible to dismantle the trunking but with limited accessability and lack of knowlage I gave up. Without much expectation I thought I would try in the other direction, again the line stuck, I gave it a twist and away it went without any hesitation. I should have read your post more carefully where you say "passing fuel line TO the engine bay"

I have manufactured a bracket to mount the Webasto fuel pump. It will fit at the right side of the fuel tank. On the engine fuel supply line there is a short length that comes down from above the tank. I am hoping it will be long enough to tee into.

Before I cut the fuel line at the tank should I disconnect it at the filter and blow the line clear of any fuel? This might reduce the fuel coming from the cut line and more importantly would stop the fuel syphoning out.

I have made and fitted another pair of brackets, one to mount the fuses and the second for the relay. There is just room for them behind the air cleaner and between the box holding the relays and the trunking for the wiring looms.

After studing the wiring diarams I think I have parts of the wiring sussed but still need some advice.
1 Two plugs with wires in one wrapping. For the Webasto heating unit - Plugs wont fit anything else
2 Single brown wire. Ground (Underneath battery)
3 Single red wire - To terminal 30 under the dash
4 Brown and blue in one wrapping. Supply pump - Which wire to which terminal, or dosn't it matter?
5 Red and black in one wrapping. As I said in post #8, between fuse 25 and the heater fan.
6 Red, black and brown in one wrapping with small four pin plug. To Telestart reciever. (There are also another brown wire and a violet wire taped back and not connected to the plug. Am I correct in thinking they are not needed When the Webasto is only operated by the Telestart T100 HTM?

How difficult is it to hide the reciever wire around the windscreen. Is it sufficent to push it in with something like a credit card or is there dismantling to be done?

Hoping for a more successfull day tomorrow!

Last edited:

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
For #6, no extra wires had to be connected to get the T100 working. Good choice BTW, you will not be disappointed with the range and command confirmation function.

4) Generally brown is ground so I would do that.

I'll get back to you on the others, I have to check my install.

duncgee

Almost finished install and have had a trial run. It took three attempts before the furnace fired up. It ran for 30 minutes and the engine is hot. Great!

BUT - The car's interior heater fan dosn't work. It didnt come on via the Webasto. Even with the normal ign switch on and using the fan switch the fan wont come on. What wires have I got wrong?

I cut the wire at the back of the fuse box coming from fuse 25. I then joined the red wire to the end from the fuse and the black went to the other end of the cut wire. Is that wrong. Advice please.

duncgee

Panic over.... found a bad connection and everything is now working. Making good connections is pretty basic in wiring. My only excuse is it is pretty cramped in there and there is very little spare wire to work with. This time I managed to pull a bit more out of the loom and made a good connection and the car heater fan is working both from vehicle switch and from Webasto.

To help others in their installation, the wire color is black with light blue tracer and from fuse 25.

Thanks for all the help!

duncgee

Yes works perfect but have yet to try the timer or found the limit of the range of the remote. I went to the oposite side of the house so the house was between the T100 and the car and the remote still worked perfect.

Just been for a short run now and switched on the Webasto as I drove. The run was not long enough to see if it made any difference but felt good anyhow.

Is there any chance of the T100 being knocked on accidently when it is in a pocket with coins or other stuff?

No time now as back to the UK tomorrow but I should add a post on how I fitted the Webasto. For sure the next one would be much quicker!

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to hold the button down for a bit so I think it should be fine. If you see the display counting down the minutes then you know it's active though.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
In my B4 install I have the fuel pull off after the filter in the engine compartment and it works fine even while driving. This will be my second full winter with it, sad part for me is my wife now bathes in the heat of the Webasto... I realize my post is a little late but it might help someone else. I've also worked with a PD car that has the full setup with the lift pump install, the dosing pump can be noisy when attached under the car to the chassis, works great otherwise.