www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 15th, 2018, 22:36   #1
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers
Default PF03+ in 2015 Passat?

So I have a PF03+ which worked flawlessly in my 2014 Passat TDI.

Fortunately, I remembered to pull it before I traded it in on my 2015.

I updated it from 5.4 to 5.5 before installing it into the 2015, and it doesn’t quite work right. Boost shows in the negative and EGT’s just don’t read.

Now... I understand that the PF03 will not work in the MQB chassis cars. The Passat is not an MQB chassis, but the CVCA engine is used in the MQB cars.

Is this just something that needs to be updated or do I need to upgrade to the PF05?

Last edited by Fixmy59bug; April 15th, 2018 at 22:39.
Fixmy59bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:34   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

I think you are SOL with the moduel you have, the NMS is a mix of Mk5 and Mk7 modules.

My only hope is the MQB module would work, but seeing its such a limited run config I can't imagine the company investing the time to fix it.

I also heard after the FIX the PID data is messed up but I haven't confirmed that.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:47   #3
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Also forgot to mention that my Bluetooth screen no longer appears in my MFD and my car-net light no longer works.

I'm sure its all related.
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:32   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

Yeah one of the down sides of polar, they are over seas and deal with 10 time the platforms we have availbile here so we are a niche of a niche, can’t make a product to suit them all.

I wonder how P3 gauge would work on the ‘15NMS.
Old April 17th, 2018, 20:05   #5
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

It seems AutPolar is interested in helping their customers.

They sent me a firmware to try and they are pretty quick about answering questions on the support ticket.

So we will see how this plays out. Hopefully we can get it working.
Old April 18th, 2018, 10:30   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

wow, if only kerma TDI could get movement that fast!!!!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488094

been stating they need new firmware for MQB for about a month, even though polar states its live ready to ship.

Fingers crossed.
Old April 19th, 2018, 19:53   #7
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

A little more good news...

In the last 4 days, they have provided me with 3 different firmware levels.

The first was a patched version of 5.5 because they said my screen grab of the updater information looked really weird. But this one would not allow my MFD to access the module at all.

The second one allowed me to access the module, but locked it when I tried setting different parameters. It got stuck on "Identifying Available Parameters". They said something about a bad compilation.

The third one (so far) got everything working. I am able to access the module. I can change the different parameters. However, EGT readings are no longer available.

So I emailed them one more time thanking them for their help and asking if there is anything they can do to get EGT's back.
Old April 20th, 2018, 10:42   #8
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

This morning they replied with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPolar
Basically exists 3 main reasons for this :

- Some parameters are only available for diesel engines and others for gasoline engines. So, have in mind that is possible you not will see all parameters available in your vehicle (all depends on your engine type).

- Your ECU not support all parameters. Some ECUs not give the values of some parameters and this is the reason why we not show on your cluster (FIS display)

- For last, another possibility is that you not have some “sensors” and obviously PolarFIS not will read it (for example oil sensor in the SEATs). In this case, the value will be shown at zero (0).

With best regards,
AutoPolar Support
So basically they are saying the 2015 ECU does not support EGT readings.

I believe this to be incorrect as obviously the ECU does monitor the EGT's for DPF regenerations.

Does anyone happen to have the PID's and formulations for the 2015 Passat? Maybe I can send it to them and they can incorporate it into the next firmware update.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 05:23   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

See this is where the phase 1 fix has modified those PIDs, I am really unversed with PIDs and only thing i have is from a member here via that excel spreed sheet to work via torque.

That's def great news.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 11:00   #10
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
only thing i have is from a member here via that excel spreed sheet to work via torque.

That's def great news.
I wonder if those PIDS are post-fix or pre-fix?
Old April 23rd, 2018, 14:21   #11
mklabunde
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.6 mpg highway

I tried to install a polar fis in my 2015 passat tdi sel premium the car has push button start and when I installed the unit my car would not start. Kept saying "key not in range" I just bought it from kermatdi that I sent them a email to see if there is anything that I did wrong but when I removed the unit the car started right up. Just waiting for a response to see what I can do. oh it's a PF03 that I updated to the latest firmware of of polar's site. Dam I want this thing looks so cool
mklabunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 05:45   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

Did kerma state it'd work for you?

Polar sells a Kessy compatible unit, the '15 may be a homogulated version of mk5 and Mk7 components Mk5 BCM/MFI, yet MK7 engine controllers.

Sadly I don't think kerma has the full line up of Polar.
Old April 30th, 2018, 18:31   #13
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Did kerma state it'd work for you?

Polar sells a Kessy compatible unit, the '15 may be a homogulated version of mk5 and Mk7 components Mk5 BCM/MFI, yet MK7 engine controllers.

Sadly I don't think kerma has the full line up of Polar.
Different person but same car and Kerma told me they have nothing as of now that will work for me. I’m on the “list” of people they will contact when they have a viable option. The 2015 sel seems to be a strange mix of cars. Currently running a scan gauge but would love to get rid of it and use the MFD.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 13:17   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

I did get EGTs to work on our phase 1 fixed car. I was able to pry the Passat away from the wife and had had two days of work out of town that I commuted to. 143 miles one way, I fired up the torque app that worked on my old CJAA and CRKA and low and behold the same gauges worked (not sure if the scaling is 100% correct but still worked). I used the CSV file that was provided by a member here a while ago.

Take aways in 600ish miles

two regen were noticed, one about 130 miles from home day 1 second on day two headed back north. AAbout 250 miles or so between them. Regens EGT stayed right around 1100 and lasted for what seemed like 5-10 minutes, quite a long time. normal was around 500-700 depending if climbing a largish hill.

ICAT was screaming high during regens, peaked at 330F, typically stayed around 20-30 degrees higher than coolant on the flats.

I monitored EGT1 and EGT 3 not sure where they correlate to the sensors, but EGT 1 always lagged EGT3, so I'm guessing this is the pre or post DPF. This was the same as the CJAA and CRKA.

EGT3 was very dependent on throttle input, and peaked around 1500 briefly during regen and climbing a hill.

Over all MPG of the trips was stunk compared to the MFI, got around 46mpg hand calculated (MFI showed 48-52MPG). Cruise was set at 70 majority of the time, but she did see tripple digits a few times just to prove the tune was worth its money (it soooo is).
Old May 3rd, 2018, 13:27   #15
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

I typically see regens last 15 to 20 minutes. What is ICAT?
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote