slightly higher milage tdi- do I buy?

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ctd/2827165044.html
I emailed the guy asking about new parts/maintenance, Here's the email:

Cam, lifters, timing belt, water pump, engine warranty through DAS Mechanic a VW mechanic in Wisconsin good for another 48k miles. Additional extended warranty through a warranty company I deal with. Car runs and drives great 42-48mpg.

One question I've tried finding an answer to but haven't been able to:
Are all 6 speed autos DSG? If it's an auto, should I be nervous at this point?

What do you guys think? New vws scare me (i'm used to doing most things myself on my past mk1s, mk2s and now b4), but I dont want to be prejudiced towards them uneccessarily
Sorry if this post is annoying, thanks for any input!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
'06 Auto was the DSG.

Rockcrawler

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta, 03 Ram, 01 IH 8100 with 10.8 Cummins
I bought mine with 73k or so and ran it to 143 k. I did have to do a major service (planned) and a cam (unplanned) but it was still the right car for me to have and it served it's purpose well. I would keep it for another 100k but my megacommute days are winding down.

high miles mostly city are also quite a bit deifferent than mostly highway. My interior is 95% like new for example.... lots of factors here.

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
Thanks for your input. The question in my mind is do I buy this with the warranty or just buy another b4 tdi (which I feel more comfortable with but isn't nearly as nice)
100k warranty sounds nice, but what about after? Kaboom!

jhs

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Those warranties are bit stretchy. Make sure they state in writing and you understand very well what is covered and to what extent.

New timing belt. How new, who did the job, paperwork proving it?

And, do not forget to find out what oil was used, with proof.

Think of cam shaft how and when done (it is kind of a maintenance job on these).

Inspection of the cam and followers before closing the deal (involves opening the valve cover)

DMF - does it clatter, does it have free play? (involves removing the starter).

All this aside, you will be facing regular wear and typical failure repairs.

Good luck!

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I would hold out for a really nice mk4 TDI...just my opinion..a friend of mine has a 06 and is having some weird shifting problems and Cams are on their way out again....must have bought poor cams the first time

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Those are probably pretty easy miles....burning up the highway.

Relatively few cold starts for a 220k car, and the most expensive of the critical maintenance/repairs are done.

This could be worth taking a closer look. As always, try to work the price. Most folks will not look at a 220k mile anything, so his audience is likely limited to enthusiasts. They will all try to work the price!

My $0.02

Tim

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
Thanks. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow, i just wish I knew if they were city or hwy miles!