Toyota V6 flywheel and clutch info

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
So who is a Yota guru? :)
What is the difference other than crank bolt pattern between the Toyota 22R and Toyota 3.0 and 3.4L V6 flywheels?
I have heard you can re drill a 22R flywheel to run a V6 clutch?
Are the flywheels the same diameter?
Is the 2.7L the same as the 3.0L.
Is the 2.7, 3.0 and 3.4 all the same bellhousing pattern?
I'm sure you can see where this is going. ;>)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
not sure on the diameter difference between the v6 and i4 but the late 9 5/16" 22r flywheel accepts the 10" 5vzfe clutch IF you machine the original step flat and remachine the step for the larger disc ... PP bolt pattern and dowels are the same between late 22re and 3.4 (5vz-fe) ... bolt pattern for the 2rz/3rz is unique to that engine series... but the 3rz pressure plate pattern is the same as late 22re/5vzfe...i'm pretty sure the 3vz and 5vz have the same crank bolt pattern, but do not share with 22r or rz

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
So for a swap you could use the same 22R flywheel with the V6 clutch on all the Toyota trans if the bellhousing adapter was different?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Just starting to finalize the V6 adapter and want to get the flywheel correct.
So a 22RE flywheel uses a larger disc/plate than the 22R?
Is it the same size disc/plate as the V6?
I can find reference online to machining the 22R flywheel to take the V6 clutch but if the 22RE uses the bigger clutch does it not make more sense to just buy the 22RE flywheel?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Just starting to finalize the V6 adapter and want to get the flywheel correct.
So a 22RE flywheel uses a larger disc/plate than the 22R?
Is it the same size disc/plate as the V6?
I can find reference online to machining the 22R flywheel to take the V6 clutch but if the 22RE uses the bigger clutch does it not make more sense to just buy the 22RE flywheel?
late 22re 4wd flywheel* 2wd is different, has different dowel pin location... late 4x4 fly matches 5vzfe dowel pin, but step must be machined flat and remachined to 10" to match v6 disc/PP
*22re 2wd, 8 7/8" clutch, wrong dowel location (don't use!)
*late 22re 4wd, 9 5/16" clutch, dowels match that of V6, step must be remachined to 10" (use this flywheel)
*5vzfe (3.4) taco clutch 10" (250mm), same dowel as late 22re 4wd (use this clutch)

i know i sound like a dr. bronner's bottle, just trying to spell it out ;)

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
late 4x4 fly matches 5vzfe dowel pin, but step must be machined flat and remachined to 10" to match v6 disc/PP
*22re 2wd, 8 7/8" clutch, wrong dowel location (don't use!)
*late 22re 4wd, 9 5/16" clutch, dowels match that of V6, step must be remachined to 10" (use this flywheel)
*5vzfe (3.4) taco clutch 10" (250mm), same dowel as late 22re 4wd (use this clutch)

Thanks Jimbote.
So if I was having a new flywheel machined we would want a 35lb 22re with a step @ 10"?
If someone wanted to use a stock 22re clutch would it still work or would the larger step then be in the way?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks Jimbote.
So if I was having a new flywheel machined we would want a 35lb 22re with a step @ 10"?
If someone wanted to use a stock 22re clutch would it still work or would the larger step then be in the way?
larger step might interfere with the smaller pressure plate's legs, would be interesting to try though and would give more options

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I'm working with Centerforce to add some heavy flywheels to my website.
Probably Toyota, Jeep 4L, Jeep 3.8L and Chevy to start with.
The Ranger 4L is a common selling adapter so maybe that one to if there is interest.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
exciting!! I will be a purchaser of a 22re flywheel that fits a 10" v6 clutch!

Any idea on timeframe?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I hope you're not in an area like mine, as all the old timers die off or retire the good automotive machine shops die off. The ones operating now are 99% catered to industrial applications (bmw, ge gas turbines, Michelin or bmw/vw/other auto manufacturer suppliers, ect)

Gotta go towards Atlanta, Charlotte or Columbia yo balance a flyweel.

Need a good guide for these yota adapters as there's the 4 cyl, v6 and even a turbo gasser thats half v6 and half 4cyl bellhousing.

Then the land cruisers (big boy Toyotas lol) which are also different...well about 74 to 1988 are the same!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
any automotive machine shop with a flywheel grinder can make you one, or if a new flywheel (no hotspots) a machine shop can do it on a lathe
Yes, I understand that this can be done fairly easy. I have access to a large lathe (I would only machine a new flywheel with this), and there are a couple good shops in the area that should be able to do the work. I was just hoping to be able to get a turn-key heavyweight flywheel if the timing works out.

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
for what its worth I got a 3.4l clutch that I tried to install on a 3.0l flywheel (thought it was a 3.4l flywheel). The dowel pin and bolt locations on the pressure plate didn't line up with the flywheel. The clutch would physically fit the flywheel but the pressure plate or the flywheel would have needed to be re-drilled to fit together properly. Not sure how that would translate to fitting on a 22re flywheel....

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
for what its worth I got a 3.4l clutch that I tried to install on a 3.0l flywheel (thought it was a 3.4l flywheel). The dowel pin and bolt locations on the pressure plate didn't line up with the flywheel. The clutch would physically fit the flywheel but the pressure plate or the flywheel would have needed to be re-drilled to fit together properly. Not sure how that would translate to fitting on a 22re flywheel....
it doesn't translate... the late 22re 4wd flywheel has the same dowel pin and bolt hole location as the 3.4 (5vzfe) first gen tacoma pressure plate

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Oh interesting. Well if anyone needs it I have a used centerforce 2 clutch/l.p. with tons of material left on it I'd let go for $100.