programing Homelink garage opener in a Touareg

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Anyone know a link to show how to program a Homelink sys in a TREG. I did mine 7 yrs ago,but had a tough time with it. New TREG now and need to do same thing again. Hoping there is a simple way this time. Instructions from Homelink are not very helpful. Thanks car is a 2016

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
It may depend on your home garage opener.

1. Use the Infotainment menu to start programming the Homelink button.

2. When you start the programming - hold your garage remote in front of your TReg VW emblem (in the grill) until the four way flashers blink.
a. the infotainment dialog screen will tell you you have a few minutes to accomplish this task
note: if you are in range of your garage door - it will go up and down as you are programming the homelink.

3. Your garage opener may have a "learn" feature - might need a ladder to access it.
a. activate the learn mode on the opener
b. press the newly programmed Homelink button for the garage door to learn it.

4. if the garage door activates - success otherwise back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Thanks Gilty one, that is the problem with this poor system. there are many different garage door systems and each has it's own idiocyracys to program. Rolling codes have their own problems; I have one garage with the rolling codes and one without. I am going to attempt to program the standard garage using the method on the HOMELINK web page and see what happens. In the past one set of instructions said to point at the VW emblem ,another said point at the rear view mirror, it was a mess to figure out. I will report back

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Pointing at the VW emblem on the grill is how I got the Touareg to flash the 4-ways accepting the code. This was the first half that worked right - the fact that this worked but the door garage didn't open led me to believe that there was another thing to do on the garage door controller itself.

Good luck - there might be more info if you search the homelink page for your garage door brand/model.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am going to call the help line at Homelink tomorrow, I tried pointing at the actual overhead buttons as well as VW badge with no blinking of the turn signals. I hate this system.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to call the help line at Homelink tomorrow, I tried pointing at the actual overhead buttons as well as VW badge with no blinking of the turn signals. I hate this system.
I guess the positive takeaway from this is that you know that your garage door opener is fairly secure... (hard to copy)

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

The procedure posted above by Gilty has been well attested to solve the problem. 1)The car learns the remote, but then 2)the receiver, in turn, has to learn back from the car. If you don’t complete the circle the door doesn’t work or barely works. If you complete the circle it will work normally, even from distance.

OP: from your post above it seems you pointed the remote first at the car and then at the receiver. That is not correct. See above. The receiver has a “learn” mode which must be activated to complete the circle.

If I have inferred improperly what you did, please disregard.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Thanks for trying to get this process to work. My problem is when I try to get the car to learn the code from the remote it doesn't respond,ie no blinking of the flashers. I have tried pointing to all parts of the front of the car ,VW emblem ,area in the car with the learn buttons at roof no results yet. Calling Homelink this AM.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for trying to get this process to work. My problem is when I try to get the car to learn the code from the remote it doesn't respond,ie no blinking of the flashers. I have tried pointing to all parts of the front of the car ,VW emblem ,area in the car with the learn buttons at roof no results yet. Calling Homelink this AM.
Sounds very much like the brand of garage opener you have may not be HomeLink compatible....

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Good news the homelink did link today!!! I tried again to get the unit to recognize the handheld door opener by aiming the opener at the buttons inside the car. I saw no flashing of blinkers,but when I backed out of the garage and pushed the button,presto it worked. I did the same thing yesterday and no go so I have no idea how it got going,but it did. I encourage everyone to try several different spots to aim the hand held opener when trying the learning program and hope for the best.