Bora 1.9 diesel TDI 2002 A/C control fault

Tonyblue

TDI
Bora 1.9 diesel 2002
Hello

Newbie to the site

My A/C in my car has started to play up

If I turn A/C on ,I can turn the setting to one and light stays on blower works both engine fans come on

But if I turn the A/C setting to 2,3 or 4 the A/C light turns off and both engine fans stop

I have been reading previous threads and I would like to check ,would the fault be the resistor pack

thanks Tony

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hello
Newbie to the site
My A/C in my car has started to play up
If I turn A/C on ,I can turn the setting to one and light stays on blower works both engine fans come on
But if I turn the A/C setting to 2,3 or 4 the A/C light turns off and both engine fans stop
I have been reading previous threads and I would like to check ,would the fault be the resistor pack
thanks Tony
Did you follow this? It's as comprehensive enough to help you DIY.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Tonyblue

TDI
Bora 1.9 diesel 2002
Hello Jokila

Thank you kindly for the link ,I will have a good read

and report back if I'm able to locate the problem

Thanks Tony

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
DanG144's thread is excellent, there is a lot more than the title indicates. Look for notes on model defferences.

Tonyblue

TDI
Bora 1.9 diesel 2002
Thanks for the advice

Thanks the thread / link was very helpful 121 pages that was a long read

I have managed to do some basic tests ,reading other links it may be the
L shape connector on the speed setting switch

Does anyone have a link or advise on how to gain access to the switch to check the L shape connector

Thanks Tony

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I do not plan to read 121 pages...

But, I have replaced and/repaired several fan switches. Generally, they wear out, burn out, etc., leaving only one speed. Replace or repair the switch.

However, the Resistor Pack, located inside the fan housing on the bottom, will also reflect similar problems when it goes kaput. It is easy to remove.

Seems the 4th speed on the Fan Switch is straight through on the Resistor Pack. All of the other speeds go through one or more of the resistors.

So, considering your fan does run on the 1st speed, I'm leaning toward a bad switch.

Have fun removing the switch if that is the problem...:D