What exactly does the Dieselgate Warranty cover?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anything except the trans that sets a code is supposed to be covered. You will always get "We will have to scan it before deciding if it is covered or not and if not you will have to pay a diagnostic fee". Download the doc and learn it if you plan on trying to use it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
Super, Thanks again. I have the manual version https://vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Manual_Final.pdf
But suggesting I have it with is a great idea.
For others the Warranty and Procedures bulletin for:
 2009 MY Jetta with engine code CBEA
 2010 – 2014 MY Jetta with engine code CJAA
 2009 MY Jetta Wagon with engine code CBEA
 2010 – 2014 MY Jetta Wagon with engine code CJAA
 2010 – 2014 MY Golf with engine code CJAA
 2013 – 2014 MY Beetle with engine code CJAA
 2013 – 2014 MY Beetle Convertible with engine code CJAA. is

Last edited:

Mekniphc

TDI
2011 MT JSW
Does this cover routine maintenance without a code? I want to change my glow plugs at 100k as recommended. Glow plugs are covered per the pamphlet.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It does not cover routine maintenance. It covers exactly what the document says. If it sets a check engine light for anything but the transmission, it is covered if the time/mileage conditions are met. If your GP's fail and set a code during the warranty they should be replaced if needed. Not if you just decide they need done.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I got one injector/glow plug replaced under the emmssion warranty but it did throw a code. If you just talking about standard maintenance, then as Lightflyer said, not covered.

Falco4758

TDI
Mk6
Sorry for bringing up old post but I have a question.
it says the extended emissions is covered from 100k or 10 years or purchase or 4 years 48k from emissions update. So which one do you get? I just got a tdi from 2011 so the 10 year one is obviously up. But the ecu reset was done in September of 2019 and it’s only been driven 27k since from 38k to 65k. So do I get the 4 year 48k one until September 2023? It’s confusing is says whatever is “greater of” thanks all

Scottv

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Good Morning - I have been looking at used TDIs. One was touted as having, due to the diesel emissions fix, as having what amounts essentially to a full drivetrain warranty for 4 years, 48k miles from the fix or ten years, 120k miles from the date of purchase.

Another dealer cautioned that this is not a drivetrain warranty and to the extent it is, is only insofar as a drivetrain issue affects the exhaust, he far more narrowly described the warranty as relating to emissions related issues only.

Any objective guidance or link to the exact warranty language appreciated, thanks!
I have had great success with the warranty ! Heater core issue has turned into a motor replacement! Getting it installed this week at dealer
Loaner car provided , they charge vw
So the warranty covers pretty much anything other than transmission…. I’ve had fuel system replaced , timing , heater core , radiator, egr , and engine now ….. so it’s solid

Scottv

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
It has to be a dealer who’s not scared to get Vw involved, one dealer told me outright they didn’t like too …. I called VW and opened case on repetitive heater core failure … and boom ! After the dealer got VW tech rep involved they are replacing engine

Scottv

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Hi all, my JWS is within emissions warranty period. I’ve got a P2196 code and (I think) an intermittent loss of mileage.
My question is, is the O2 sensor covered by emissions warranty? I can’t see how it’s not, but I don’t want to pay VW service to diagnose ($120 min, I guess) and then tell me it’s not covered. Thanks
Yes it’s covered… twice for me on o2 sensor

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It has to be a dealer who’s not scared to get Vw involved, one dealer told me outright they didn’t like too …. I called VW and opened case on repetitive heater core failure … and boom ! After the dealer got VW tech rep involved they are replacing engine
You got VW involved not the dealer (opened a case). Once they are involved the dealer has little choice in my opinion. Hope they do the install correctly. Good luck and keep us informed!

Falco4758

TDI
Mk6
Wow.
I have had great success with the warranty ! Heater core issue has turned into a motor replacement! Getting it installed this week at dealer
Loaner car provided , they charge vw
So the warranty covers pretty much anything other than transmission…. I’ve had fuel system replaced , timing , heater core , radiator, egr , and engine now ….. so it’s solid
Wow. I only have 22k left on the warranty I’ll prob sell before that then lol. How many miles are on your car ?

Scottv

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
You got VW involved not the dealer (opened a case). Once they are involved the dealer has little choice in my opinion. Hope they do the install correctly. Good luck and keep us informed!
Well when I said a dealer not scared to get VW involved I meant some dealers don’t want to mess with them … previous dealer should have reported second heater core failure to VW for tech assistance, they didn’t … I remember that service manager telling me they really don’t like VW breathing down their neck …… but anyway I’ll keep the forum updated ! Take care

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
So, I'm dealing with a frustration with my local dealer. 2015 Touareg with 93k miles. Still plenty of TDI extended warranty left. So 10 days ago, I get an check engine light. Next day before I even had a chance to think about calling the dealer, I get an AdBlue warning with a 200-mile countdown till engine no-start! This was about 3 or 4 days after I had put 5-gallons of ISO certified DEF fluid in the tank. By the time I could get it to the dealer, I was down to 30-miles left before no-start. Pretty dire if you ask me. So the dealer was short staffed and they couldn't look at it for several days. Finally the get back to me and tell me that there were no hardware problems and that they system had to be reset and re-adapted. I figured great, that just means I'll have another issue in a few months...
Regardless, they say its fixed. So then I get the invoice and they are trying to charge me $130 in labor for the AdBlue fix. I ask why is this not covered by the TDI extended warranty? They say because there were no hardware failures, it is not covered. I say, the warranty specifies fixing any errors put off by the OBD system and that includes all labor. They say the warranty administrator said nope.
So, I feel like I need to escalate this to VW of America.
Has anyone had this experience before where "re-adapting" is not covered? I mean, it is a pretty small fee, but I feel like this was a failure of the system regardless of how they resolved it.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
Yes, Already have a case with VWOA. The next question is, should I leave my vehicle with the dealership and wait for the case manager with VWOA to sort it out (maybe not until Monday) or should I pick it up, pay the fees, and then hope to get a refund? I forgot to mention, they are also charging me for a rental car which I needed to get for the 1st day until they had a loaner to pickup. The rental was through the dealers contract.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Rental should have been covered too. Your choice to keep and resolve or turn in and pay and resolve later. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Have you contacted the CA attorneys? They should also have some say in resolving the issue if needed. The document is quite clear on this. Sounds like a stalling tactic to me. Civil persistence usually pays off though.

If you get an issue again let it die somewhere and have them tow it, if easy for you.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
Rental should have been covered too. Your choice to keep and resolve or turn in and pay and resolve later. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Have you contacted the CA attorneys? They should also have some say in resolving the issue if needed. The document is quite clear on this. Sounds like a stalling tactic to me. Civil persistence usually pays off though.

If you get an issue again let it die somewhere and have them tow it, if easy for you.
I'm not sure what you mean by contacting the CA attorneys...I'm in GA. If you can point me to some info, I will look into it.
Letting it dies somewhere is not really something that would work for me. It is my only vehicle and I am a co-parent who needs to be able to transport my kids to/from school and to/from activities.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
CA = Class Action attorneys.

They are supposed to handle this kind of disagreement. If it comes to that.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
So several days have passed. I contacted Lieff Cabresser and have not heard anything back from them. VW CARE has totally failed. After opening a case with them, I had high hopes. Unfortunately, today I got this response from them:

"The reason this is not covered under warranty is that no repair was needed. The system was ran so low on Ad-Blue that even after it was filled the system would not register. The tech had to go in and reset the system via the scan tool after running through the test plan. He is being charged 1 hour of diagnosis to do this.

I am sorry for the inconvenience but in CARE we would not be able to assist further due to the dealer determining the issues to be caused by outside influence (lack of maintenance in this case) and they did not actually perform any repairs. Only the diagnosis. We would only be able to change our stance if the dealership determines an alternate diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

To provide you with the best service possible, it’s important that you respond to us by replying to this email. Replying outside of this email will result in a delayed response. Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Customer CARE."

This is, of course, utter BS! The vehicle gave me a 600 mile warning for AdBlue. I put in 5-gallons and the low warning went away for 3 or 4 days, then it came up with the AdBlue Error and the Tech indicated that it was a Reductant Consumption Too Low code as well as a Reductant Quality Code. He tested the AdBlue and it passed the quality test.

So, I am quite frustrated by this. We are not talking about a huge amount of money here ($173 between the hour of labor and the rental fee), but it is the principle of it. VW is supposed to cover these issues!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get back in touch with the CA attorney and forward the response to them and your dialogue. They all move like snails so it more than likely won't happen fast and you have to keep checking with the lawyers. It is what it is.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
I finally received a call back from a paralegal at the CA attorney. She advised that I should pay the invoice and seek reimbursement due to the snail pace of VW Counsel, which is like you said. I forwarded her the invoice and payment receipt. Now we will see if the CA attorney thinks it should be paid by VW and hopefully some day in the future, I get back my $174. Picking up the vehicle tomorrow AM. Hopefully this AdBlue error is not a recurring theme. Otherwise, I will be doing a tune and delete long before the 10/120k is up, (or selling it if diesel prices don't come down!)

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
I finally received a call back from a paralegal at the CA attorney. She advised that I should pay the invoice and seek reimbursement due to the snail pace of VW Counsel, which is like you said. I forwarded her the invoice and payment receipt. Now we will see if the CA attorney thinks it should be paid by VW and hopefully some day in the future, I get back my $174. Picking up the vehicle tomorrow AM. Hopefully this AdBlue error is not a recurring theme. Otherwise, I will be doing a tune and delete long before the 10/120k is up, (or selling it if diesel prices don't come down!)
Well, looks like the TDI Extended Warranty was useless in my case. Here is the response I received from the CA Attorney's office:

Dear Mr. Williams;
I sent the attorney all of the documents you forwarded. He said that we cannot assist you in obtaining reimbursement as long as the dealer continues to state that the issue was caused by lack of maintenance. We are not in a position to dispute the dealer’s statement. If you can supply any additional documentation from the dealer to support your position, the attorney will evaluate it. He advises continuing to call VW Customer Care to dispute the warranty denial decision.
Regards,
Jennifer Kawamura
Senior Paralegal
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein

So it appears that nobody can argue with the dealership? They say it is lack of maintenance that caused my AdBlue error and nobody can dispute that. What a crock of BS.

I'd keep arguing with VW CARE like she said, but the last email I received from them made it also seem like a dead end. The Regional Case Manager basically said the same thing. The dealership has the last word.

Good Afternoon, Mr. Williams.

I can certainly understand your frustration surrounding the situation. At CARE we are not technically trained. We do rely on our dealerships for technical advice. With the dealership stating this is due to lack of maintenance we cannot change the outcome. This decision has been provided on behalf of VW of America and this decision will not change. It is definitely in your rights as a consumer to pursue any outside resources available to you to provide you with your desired outcome even if that means finding resources outside of VW.

If you would like to make any contact to our Legal Department it must be sent by mail and sent to 3800 Hamlin Rd, Auburn Hills, MI 48326 and attention it to "Legal Department".

To provide you with the best service possible, it’s important that you respond to us by replying to this email. Replying outside of this email will result in a delayed response. Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Customer CARE.

Respectfully,

Kala J.
Region Case Manager
Volkswagen Customer CARE

I think I may start looking into a delete and tune.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you have documented proof that all required services were performed when required? This is always a key sticking point in most of these issues. It is the reason why I have my dealer do all service work while under warranty. Can't argue about this if they did all the work.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
I've only owned the vehicle for about 15 months and 12,000 miles. It hasn't needed much other than 1 oil change which I did myself with VW approved oil and a Mann filter. What service is there for the DEF system other than keeping it full? I could see them blaming me if I let it run out completely and it was in a no-start condition, but I filled it with a few hundred miles to spare. It worked for several days with no issues and then it gave the error. They are just not taking ownership for a failure in the system.