2010 JSW DTI, Dead RNS510 Radio, Won't start

dcmatthe

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Hello,

Recently by Premium 8 radio (RNS510) died and foolishly I didn't didn't heed the warnings on the forum and disconnect the radio. Needless to say the battery was drained a few days later and one morning it cranked slow and wouldn't start. I removed the radio completely. I jump started it and it ran fine in the garage. I shut the car off and started it a few times and let it run for 10 minutes, declaring the battery draining problem solved. Well, this morning it wouldn't start again. It wouldn't even crank this time. Just full lights and power in the cabin, but upon ignition I get some clicks, the speedo and tachometer pulse several times in rhythm with the clicks (as if its some diag code), and an ESP Failure message on the information screen. I fully disconnected the battery and have let it sit that way. Im hoping the ECM will reset and the problem is just that the battery doesn't have enough power to properly start the car because I didn't let the car run long enough to charge the battery. I am going to borrow a battery charger and a meter to see if the battery is really faulty or if the battery drain is still present.

Am I missing something?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Clicks and dimming is a dead battery, plain and simple. The click is the starter trying to engage, and then lights are due to the battery folding when it does, nothing more . . .

- Tim

dcmatthe

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Thanks. After an hour on the charger, the car started normally. I found and removed the radio 15A fuse from the fuse box in the engine compartment. Hopefully that will keep the battery from draining further. After turning the engine off, I did get an ESP error message, but I suspect that is from having the battery disconnected.