15" stock steel wheel lug nuts fit on 17" vw wheels?

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
I did do a search on this and also posted on vortex, but it must not be interesting enough for vortex...

I've got 15" steel wheels with covers that came on my 2002 wagon. I just picked up some 17" Long Beach vw wheels and am wondering if I can just use the same lug nuts? Anyone had experience with this?

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
It's my understanding from IMPEX Auto Parts that the steel wheel lug bolts are not compatable with the alloy wheels. He did say that all the alloy wheel lug bolts are the same. So if you had 15" Avus rims you'd be golden. But since you have steelies I think you should buy a new set.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
You can certainly use the stock steel lug bolts. When we got our Golf with the VW alloys they had the stock lug bolts. The only thing you must be careful of (and this is easy to test) is the number of threads that engage into the bolt hole on the hubs. Eight threads is what I seem to remember. So mount up a 17" alloy rim (without tire for a test) and see how many turns you get before firm contact with the hub. My bet is that it will be fine. Just count the total turns of the stock setup or slide those bolts through the dismounted wheels (both stock and new 17") and see how much sticks out! It should be the same or close.

[ July 11, 2002, 13:33: Message edited by: kiwibru ]

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
Thanks for the responses. The performance tire shop thinks the original steel lugs will work, so we'll see. I'm heading in tomorrow. Also, my local dealer part's department said they only have one part number for the lugs and thinks there isn't a difference (but we know how they are).

The wheels already have tires on them, but I am going to an experienced shop (not Discount Tire again who scratched my Montreal I's) so I think I'll be okay.

I paid $800 (included seller's paypal fee and shipping all the way from Mass to Utah!) for the wheels/tires and they had only been used for about 6500 miles...they have the Michelin Pilots 225/45/17's on them (oem from vw)...there have been sets selling on ebay for $900 (with tires but not including shipping) and $500-600 without tires. They are in excellent/near perfect condition.

Who knows how long I'll keep them...they are summer rims...I have some avus wheels (bought from a fellow fred's member) that I'll mount Blizzaks on for the winter, but I didnt' get lugs with those either...
BTW...bring on some snow...it's way too hot

[ July 11, 2002, 17:25: Message edited by: days-like-this ]

whitebelly

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
i don't know for sure, but i have to disagree with live4spd's hypothesis, since ALL of our cars come with a steelie spare.
you should try to mount your LB's before wasting money on a new set of lugs.

BTW, mind if i ask what you paid for them?

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
Update: YES, the steel lugs worked just fine. I took the wheels to a performance wheel shop. The lugs are black and apparently you can buy some caps to go over the top, but I like the look.

I inflated the wheels to 40 psi...with max being 51 I believe. I think I'll have to add more air.

I'm noticing a HUGE improvement in taking corners, etc., not much difference actually in feeling bumps in the road. I do notice a difference in slower acceleration from a start and actually killed the engine once (oops). The wheels look really nice and I'll try them out with some spirited Parley's Canyon driving for a while.

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
yeah, those crappy fred's members selling you bum wheels with no lugs....

The stock lugs will work fine with the Avus wheels too - like whitebelly said, how would you mount the spare without a full extra set?

Just wait until you get those Avus on there - the acceleration "feel" from a stop is a world of difference.... but the avus with a tire is only 35 lbs each.... those longbeach with tires are probably 45-50 each. Doesn't seem like much till you have to get rolling....

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
hey, I knew I wasn't getting lugs

Yes, the Long Beaches weigh 45 lbs

You know, after receiving the Long Beaches and having to "clean them up" I TOTALLY appreciate the way you kept those avus so sparkling new