Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
Alright, I just filled up today, and I have a two part story!
So I was filling up at a Shell and the diesel pumps are separate and clearly marked so I wasn't sure if that'd make me look more or less like I knew what I was doing. Anyways, the station has two lines of 3 pumps, each with a diesel in the middle. On one line the pumps are really close together and the diesel pump was blocked by gassers who were at the end pumps. The other line has more space in between pumps and I backed up to the diesel pump. Right next to the window by the cashier.
I didn't even get my card in the slot before a guy came running out the door asking if my car was a diesel. I said it was and he said the cashier was worried and he came to ask. Nothing huge, it all went smoothly. Compared to some of the other stories I read on here, it's nice when people ask BEFORE you pump.
Now the next part of my story. I was in the middle of pumping and a dodge ram pulled into the station, clearly a diesel by its sound. So, I guess they wanted the pump I was at because he pulled forward into a parking spot across the lot but in line with the pumps. Now this truck had an enormous exhaust tip and was really loud. Even at idling it was blowing visible wisps of greyish smoke out the exhaust.
He never confronted me, he just sat there idling loudly and when I got in my car he started backing towards me, stopped right behind me, and as I started pulling forward he kept coming closer.
I don't know how he was intending to come off as, but I just thought it was interesting. That's all. Nothing huge, but it was my most eventful fillup.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I was in the middle of pumping and a dodge ram pulled into the station, clearly a diesel by its sound. So, I guess they wanted the pump I was at because he pulled forward into a parking spot across the lot but in line with the pumps. Now this truck had an enormous exhaust tip and was really loud. Even at idling it was blowing visible wisps of greyish smoke out the exhaust.
In Michigan, do the authorities do anything about exhaust being too loud? Do any of you know of any vehicle being pulled over for loud exhaust? Only speeding and window tints seem to get attention these days. Maybe aftermarket headlights if they're really obnoxious. I'm curious.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Some stations are more fun than others. I have an Exxon on my commute (Goose Creek, Denton MD for the curious) that has all the gas pumps in front of the store, and all the diesel in the back. It's always fun to pull around the long lanes with the big rigs. There's one standard size diesel nozzle among the high flow big rig nozzles. The snazzy Bimmer among the Kenworths and Freightliners usually gets a nice conversation started with a trucker or two.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Used to do that with my 2000 beetle. Nothing like of cyber green beetle sitting with all the big boys to make one smile.

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
i've only had my TDI for a few months, but i've already been yelled at for putting diesel in my car a handful of times. every time my response is "yes, it takes diesel. i'm not an idiot"

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
i've only had my TDI for a few months, but i've already been yelled at for putting diesel in my car a handful of times. every time my response is "yes, it takes diesel. i'm not an idiot"
My response would have been "Oh really? Is that bad?" Watch them get all flummoxed over that.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
My response would have been "Oh really? Is that bad?" Watch them get all flummoxed over that.

my buddy who's a diesel mechanic and TDI owner does that. I don't have the time or patience lol

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My response (for all the one times it has happened to me) is, "Well, my neighbor uses diesel and gets PHENOMENAL mileage, so I thought I'd try it!" Then I waited to see if they actually heard what I said. It didn't happen.

Cheers,

PH

n1das

TDI

I haven't actually used that one yet but I'm waiting for the chance. :D

Exactly how I respond depends on the particular situation. I generally do get into conversations at the diesel pump whenever somebody asks me about the car. Very often I am their first contact with an owner of a modern turbodiesel car because most of the driving public in the USA hardly knows these cars exist. It has lead to a few random diesel bonding moments. :cool:

I have used "Yeah...it's GREAT stuff!" a few times, keeping attention focused on the FUEL instead of the CAR. :D The look on people's face is priceless and then they become more curious about the car.

TDIYAIYAI

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (Sold), 2004 Passat TDI, (RIP 2/2006), 2004 Passat GLX, 2014 JSW TDI
When I got my very first TDI (2000 Jetta Sedan), I went to fuel up and the attendant was great! He said, "ALWAYS watch the attendants", "they aren't used to putting diesel in a car and they might grab the wrong nozzle out of habit". I live in Oregon so (at the time) no pumpy your own. I let my EX-husband drive the Jetta but, I wouldn't let him fuel up. I couldn't trust he would pay attention. Moved from the Jetta to a 2004 Passat TDI. 6 months after selling the Jetta and 18 months having the Passat, I was hit in the rear quarter driver side, spun out and slammed into a tree. *cries*. After 13 years.. I just picked up a 2014 JSW DSG TDI! *YAY!* Time to start scouting the pumps again!

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
You CAN legally pump your own diesel in Oregon. The no self serve law only applies to gasoline. Same in NJ.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
You CAN legally pump your own diesel in Oregon. The no self serve law only applies to gasoline. Same in NJ.

Few days ago, while rolling out of NJ, I pulled in to a spot on the interstate to fill up. I knew they fill your car up, so I asked for the fuel amount in gallons. Didn't get a full tank, since car is lowered, was loaded with a bunch of stuff in the trunk and rear seats and two people inside. Tires were rubbing a bit. The attendant lady said they can't do that, it has to be in dollars. So no problem, I tell her "let's do $15 even". She goes "that's regular, right?". I quickly corrected her that it's diesel (pump was combined) and she stepped back, looked at the fuel cap and said that the caps are usually yellow or orange. Mine is a black cap, factory afaik. "It's diesel, right", after looking on the inside of the fuel door. Me "Yes, diesel, please". While filling, she said that at that station, people have to double check since they get fired if they put diesel in a gas car or gas in a diesel car even once.
Are you supposed to tip in states where people pump your fuel for you? I never know if they make crap wages, like a lot of waiters do and basically get their pay from tips. Do you guys tip in your states or other states? I tipped, she said thank you and I went on.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Staff pumps your fuel? That's some weird sh1t

Im in for a surprise if I travel.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Staff pumps your fuel? That's some weird sh1t

Im in for a surprise if I travel.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

The states of New Jersey and Oregon consider their citizens to be too stupid to pump their own gasoline. However, they recognize that anyone who owns a diesel powered vehicle are extremely MORE intelligent than the regular NJ/OR doofus so diesel owners CAN pump their own diesel.

n1das

TDI
The actual reason is to prohibit the public from dispensing flammable liquids into their vehicles. The law has nothing to do with minimum wage employment or people's intelligence.

Diesel fuel has a flash point temperature above 100F so it is not considered flammable but is still combustible. Gasoline has a flash point temperature much lower than 100F and is considered highly flammable.

Diesel vs. gasoline safety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeRSPuA5Z4

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The actual reason is to prohibit the public from dispensing flammable liquids into their vehicles. The law has nothing to do with minimum wage employment or people's intelligence.

Diesel fuel has a flash point temperature above 100F so it is not considered flammable but is still combustible. Gasoline has a flash point temperature much lower than 100F and is considered highly flammable.

Diesel vs. gasoline safety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeRSPuA5Z4

That reasoning is bogus as a several hundred million in these United States and billions world wide seem to be able to do it just fine. Why are 8.9 million NJ & 4.2 million OR citizens the only ones considered mentally deficient? If it is so dangerous than wouldn't the Federal government have banned it? Even the nanny-staters here in the CPR haven't passed such a law.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Besides the doofus filling your tank is no different than you are and probably knows less. But they did probably get the 30 second safety talk. Nearly 15 years and not one story about filling my tank with diesel. Of course our new open carry laws may have some influence over that lately.

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
Oregon is or was considering making self serve gasoline pumping legal statewide:
https://www.oregonlive.com/commutin...regon-bill-would-make-it-legal-statewide.html

You CAN still legally pump your own diesel in Oregon.

That reasoning is bogus as a several hundred million in these United States and billions world wide seem to be able to do it just fine. Why are 8.9 million NJ & 4.2 million OR citizens the only ones considered mentally deficient? If it is so dangerous than wouldn't the Federal government have banned it? Even the nanny-staters here in the CPR haven't passed such a law.
The reasoning may be bogus but it is the law of the land in NJ. I'm glad I never have to fill up in NJ because it's close enough to home in NH that I don't have to fill up until I'm well past NJ whenever I'm on a long road trip.

The prohibition in NJ's law applies to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids. Gasoline is considered a Class 1 flammable liquid according to the law. Diesel doesn't count since it has a flash point above 100F.

Here is the text from NJ's no self-serve law:
https://www.nj.gov/labor/lsse/laws/Retail_Gasoline_Act_and_Regs.html

SUBCHAPTER 1. REQUIREMENTS

12:196-1.1 Purpose; scope

(a) The purpose of this chapter is to provide reasonable standards for:

The prohibition of the self service of gasoline and other inflammable liquids at retail gasoline stations;
The training and certification of attendants; and
The installation of safety signs and equipment and the establishment of procedures to enhance safety at retail gasoline stations.
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall be applicable to:

The operation of retail gasoline stations; and
The training and certification of attendants at retail gasoline stations.
(c) The provisions of this chapter will not be applicable to:

The operation of marine service stations;
The operation of service stations for the fueling of aircraft;
The dispensing of diesel fuel; or
The operation of employer gasoline stations that are solely for the use of a company's employees and are not open to the public.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
As a life-long NJ resident, I have the attendant start the pump (most pumps in NJ, even the diesel ones, require an attendant card swiped first before payment), then I take over and top off/vent afterward.

n1das beat me to the punch in responding to romad - the reasoning may or may not be stupid, but it is the reasoning behind the NJ self-serve law. After all, there's no actual requirement that the reasoning behind a law has to make sense...

n1das

TDI
As a life-long NJ resident, I have the attendant start the pump (most pumps in NJ, even the diesel ones, require an attendant card swiped first before payment), then I take over and top off/vent afterward.

n1das beat me to the punch in responding to romad - the reasoning may or may not be stupid, but it is the reasoning behind the NJ self-serve law. After all, there's no actual requirement that the reasoning behind a law has to make sense...
I think NJ attendants are OK with that because it frees them up to help waiting gasser customers. Some attendants may have had a few "random diesel bonding" moments with diesel owners too.

I hope I never have to fuel up in NJ or Oregon. I've managed to avoid it for 17 years and more than 900k miles of diesel ownership experience.

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
Besides the doofus filling your tank is no different than you are and probably knows less. But they did probably get the 30 second safety talk. Nearly 15 years and not one story about filling my tank with diesel. Of course our new open carry laws may have some influence over that lately.
The attendant is different than you filling the tank and here is why. Most, if not all, fires while fueling are due to static discharge. The most common reason for this charge being present, getting back in your vehicle while it fills! Women are more prone to doing this, especially when it is cold.

Fuel island fires are more common than most people would think just because we don't see it happening every day, but think about how many fuel stations there are and the amount of people filling up in any given day...

I do find funny the signs that say that it is illegal to walk away while fueling unless you are an attendant, you know, cuz the pumps know whether you are an attendant or not so it'll make sure it does not fail and overfill the tank...

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
With the Volt and the Spark EV, I rarely go to the gas station, but when I do I let the jockey start the fill, then I get out and finish it. They usually leave me alone.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The attendant is different than you filling the tank and here is why. Most, if not all, fires while fueling are due to static discharge. The most common reason for this charge being present, getting back in your vehicle while it fills! Women are more prone to doing this, especially when it is cold.
Fuel island fires are more common than most people would think just because we don't see it happening every day, but think about how many fuel stations there are and the amount of people filling up in any given day...
I do find funny the signs that say that it is illegal to walk away while fueling unless you are an attendant, you know, cuz the pumps know whether you are an attendant or not so it'll make sure it does not fail and overfill the tank...
So if the attendant doofus walks away, no issue. But if the customer doofus walks away, big problem. I don't get it at all. Walking away from a filling nozzle makes you an idiot in my book. I have seen many whose overflow kickoff didn't work and spilled gallons all over the pavement. I hate the people who start filling and then go into the store. I have been know to click off their nozzle for that. Stupid is as stupid does, no matter who you are.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oregon is or was considering making self serve gasoline pumping legal statewide:
https://www.oregonlive.com/commutin...regon-bill-would-make-it-legal-statewide.html

You CAN still legally pump your own diesel in Oregon.

The reasoning may be bogus but it is the law of the land in NJ. I'm glad I never have to fill up in NJ because it's close enough to home in NH that I don't have to fill up until I'm well past NJ whenever I'm on a long road trip.

The prohibition in NJ's law applies to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids. Gasoline is considered a Class 1 flammable liquid according to the law. Diesel doesn't count since it has a flash point above 100F.

Here is the text from NJ's no self-serve law:
https://www.nj.gov/labor/lsse/laws/Retail_Gasoline_Act_and_Regs.html

SUBCHAPTER 1. REQUIREMENTS

12:196-1.1 Purpose; scope

(a) The purpose of this chapter is to provide reasonable standards for:

The prohibition of the self service of gasoline and other inflammable liquids at retail gasoline stations;
The training and certification of attendants; and
The installation of safety signs and equipment and the establishment of procedures to enhance safety at retail gasoline stations.
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall be applicable to:

The operation of retail gasoline stations; and
The training and certification of attendants at retail gasoline stations.
(c) The provisions of this chapter will not be applicable to:

The operation of marine service stations;
The operation of service stations for the fueling of aircraft;
The dispensing of diesel fuel; or
The operation of employer gasoline stations that are solely for the use of a company's employees and are not open to the public.

That text of the law is pure sophistry with no proof. But like I said, at least they recognize that diesel is different. The marine and aircraft sections had to be included as those servicing are already covered by FAA and USCG regulations.

I wonder if OR created an Official course for gas station attendant training or if each station is on their own?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With the Volt and the Spark EV, I rarely go to the gas station, but when I do I let the jockey start the fill, then I get out and finish it. They usually leave me alone.

I'm surprised NJ hasn't barred both from entering the premises of gas stations to prevent the those vehicles from igniting gasoline vapor. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That text of the law is pure sophistry with no proof. But like I said, at least they recognize that diesel is different. The marine and aircraft sections had to be included as those servicing are already covered by FAA and USCG regulations.

I wonder if OR created an Official course for gas station attendant training or if each station is on their own?

Found it:

12:196-1.3 Attendant duties

(a) Service stations accessible to the public shall have an attendant on duty whenever the station is open for business.

(b) Only an attendant shall dispense fuel into fuel tanks or into containers.

(c) An attendant shall:

1. Dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle only when the vehicle's engine is not in operation;
  2. Only dispense fuel into portable containers that meet the requirements of N.J.A.C. 12:196-1.6;
  3. Prohibit any person who is not an attendant to dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle or into any container; and
  4. Be prohibited from smoking while dispensing fuel.
(d) Attendants shall require a motorcyclist to dismount his or her motorcycle while gasoline is being dispensed into their vehicle.

12:196-1.4 Training of attendants

(a) An attendant shall dispense fuel at a gasoline station only if the attendant has:

1. Received instructions from an experienced operator regarding the dispensing of fuel;
  2. Had practical experience dispensing fuel under the direct supervision of an experienced operator for a period of not less than one full working day; and
  3. Demonstrated his or her understanding of those instructions upon examination by the operator at the end of that period.
(b) The instructions required pursuant to (a)1 above shall include:

1. A full explanation of the dispensing standards set forth at N.J.A.C. 12:196-1.3(c);
  2. The location and operation of the remote switch or circuit breaker installed in accordance with N.J.A.C. 12:196-1.7; and
  3. Training in the recognition of approved portable containers pursuant to N.J.A.C. 12:196-1.6.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nothing there saying the attendant has to be an employee. So essentially anyone that has dispensed fuel for more than a day or so should be qualified under the law. Get your parent to sign off that they have trained you for a day to the applicable standards. Just be able to locate the usually well marked cut off switch.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I'm surprised NJ hasn't barred both from entering the premises of gas stations to prevent the those vehicles from igniting gasoline vapor. :D
Never had a bad fill of electricity yet. ;)