Understanding the Phase 1 and 2 fixes...

Webbie1

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
I just bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual with 41k miles on it. It has the sticker under the hood, and a VIN search show a "partial completion" of the emissions fixes. I'm assuming that means phase 2A has been done. As it's a manual, phase 2B doesn't happen until after 70k miles, correct? Is this something I bring it to a dealer to have done after I have 70k on it? Or do I just wait to get a check engine light? How does that work?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It may mean that only phase 1 has been completed.

In any case - You wait until they send you a notification to bring it in. Hopefully VW knows that you own the car ... you'll never get that notification if they're not aware of it. If you bought it at a VW dealer, that shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, this is simple to straighten out ... go to a dealer service department and ask them what the scoop is.

Since you just bought the car, there's no compensation in it for you, other than the reset of the extended warranty. What that means for you is, bring it in when they tell you to, but there's no need for doing it earlier than that.

Webbie1

TDI
It may mean that only phase 1 has been completed.

In any case - You wait until they send you a notification to bring it in. Hopefully VW knows that you own the car ... you'll never get that notification if they're not aware of it. If you bought it at a VW dealer, that shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, this is simple to straighten out ... go to a dealer service department and ask them what the scoop is.

Since you just bought the car, there's no compensation in it for you, other than the reset of the extended warranty. What that means for you is, bring it in when they tell you to, but there's no need for doing it earlier than that.
Thanks. I took it to mean phase 2A has been done. I just bought the car, from a VW dealer, with a 2 year unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty, so not terribly worried.....just wondering what to expect going forward.

Warner

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From your sticker in the other thread (this should have been posted there instead of starting a new thread) You have had 2A done, sensor and programming, pipe for sensor IIRC. You can call your dealer like I just did but they have no knowledge of when to bring it in for part 2B. For you with a manual trans, sometime after 70k miles. The dpf and some other things should be replaced at that point. Some have said they want to wait longer closer to the 162k or whatever your warranty limit is, to get it done so they have fresh hardware for the long haul. Might make sense. I don't think VW has published any hard and fast rules on when you absolutely have to get part 2B done. The emissions letter is the only definitive answer I think at this point and it is vague.

Webbie1

TDI
From your sticker in the other thread (this should have been posted there instead of starting a new thread) You have had 2A done, sensor and programming, pipe for sensor IIRC. You can call your dealer like I just did but they have no knowledge of when to bring it in for part 2B. For you with a manual trans, sometime after 70k miles. The dpf and some other things should be replaced at that point. Some have said they want to wait longer closer to the 162k or whatever your warranty limit is, to get it done so they have fresh hardware for the long haul. Might make sense. I don't think VW has published any hard and fast rules on when you absolutely have to get part 2B done. The emissions letter is the only definitive answer I think at this point and it is vague.
Thanks again for answering my questions. I think you're right about the dealers not really being up to speed on the whole deal. My sales guy, who was supposed to be their "diesel expert" didn't even know about the under hood stickers. In his favor though, he didn't PRETEND to know, either. I'd rather have someone tell me they don't know than to make something up. I'll just drive it until I hit 70k and see how it goes. Thanks again for your response. So far, 200 miles into my first tank and showing 54mpg on the display, in spite of getting caught in 8 miles of stop and go on my way home (very atypical, but there was an accident).

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
Another pointer. Most here go by full tank averages and not the display. If you want to track mileage try using fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com
You beat me to it, this time! I was just going to ask how optimistic the display is. I figure even if it's 10% optimistic, I'm still getting 50mpg. I will definitely calculate the mileage on my next fillup. What I did to fill it this time was put the pump handle on the slowest setting, with the car running, and when the auto shutoff stopped the pump, that was it. I'm sure it wasn't really "full", but that's how I did it for this first fillup. When I refill, I'll do the same, on the same pump, to try for the greatest accuracy.

Warner

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As long as you do it the same way each time that is the best you can do. Many people trickle it in till full to the top. Others do what you do. Doesn't matter either way as long as you are consistent with your method over time. Over many tank fills the margin of error decreases. The dash gauge is more of an indicator to help you recognize when you can improve your methods for economy. It isn't accurate, but can be coded to be closer to reality if you really want to mess with it. But Fuelly doesn't lie at all and can be used to show others and compare cars and add to the knowledge online. Good luck!

Webbie1

TDI
As long as you do it the same way each time that is the best you can do. Many people trickle it in till full to the top. Others do what you do. Doesn't matter either way as long as you are consistent with your method over time. Over many tank fills the margin of error decreases. The dash gauge is more of an indicator to help you recognize when you can improve your methods for economy. It isn't accurate, but can be coded to be closer to reality if you really want to mess with it. But Fuelly doesn't lie at all and can be used to show others and compare cars and add to the knowledge online. Good luck!
Yep, I signed up so I'll keep track.....

Warner