2009 Jetta 362,000 miles 6 speed manual $5,500

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
None - formerly 86 jetta diesel, 01 golf TDI, 09 Jetta TDI
2009 Jetta 362,000 miles 6 speed manual $5,500 ~WI~

There's a very nice looking TDI that showed up at the local dealership. I drove it tonight and it runs like a song. High miles, $5,500. I'm taking a trade-in to see if they will give me some money for my current vehicles in the morning, but thought I would throw it out here for y'all to chew on as well. I may not end up buying it. Would you?
http://www.kenvance.com/used/Volkswagen/2009-Volkswagen-Jetta-3acb77c80a0a006570fe935f87c03b17.htm

Last edited:

kerrige

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Wow if I had the cash I would snatch it up and make a dash for the 500k mark. At more than 60k per year this was clearly a highway mile monster. As long as the typical maintained is upto date. Pretty amazing how clean it is.

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Needs the diesel particulate filter, glow plug light on too. Otherwise a pretty sweet car. Dealer quoted $5000 for the filter work - ouch - I assume there might be another option that costs less?

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
I convinced the shop to clear up the problem, I think they burned it out to clear the dpf, glow plug and check engine codes. I like the car, pulling the trigger tomorrow. I now know the many options to the $5000 dpf issue. Now to sign up for the 300,000 mile club and shoot for 400,000 in a few years...

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Toss that DPF right in the dumpster! Man, that car is clean for going to the moon and nearly 1/2 way back.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
That is crazy mileage. $5k isn't really the cost for a new DPF is it? I thought that they were quite a bit less than that in the $1k-2k range.

Good luck with the new ride!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'm just impressed it has that mileage and runs so well. All the nay sayers about the longevity of these cars should read this post. Mine has 28k miles so I guess I'll never ware this one out.

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
On the 2009 the dpf is connected to the (even more expensive) cat. Assuming this one made it 360,000 I guess they last awhile, at least on hwy miles.

kerrige

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I say delete them both 1/5 the price, more performance and reliability.

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, folks, I had to bring this car back to the dealer. They were unable to clear the DPF, cel and glow plug lights and didn't want to replace the unit ($5000 from dealer). It was/is a sweet car but I don't have the cash to fix it up into what it needs to be in order to hit a million miles. It might return to their lot, or they might send it to the auction. I'll let you know if it goes back to the lot and will let you know my experiences driving it for a few weeks.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Well, folks, I had to bring this car back to the dealer. They were unable to clear the DPF, cel and glow plug lights and didn't want to replace the unit ($5000 from dealer). It was/is a sweet car but I don't have the cash to fix it up into what it needs to be in order to hit a million miles. It might return to their lot, or they might send it to the auction. I'll let you know if it goes back to the lot and will let you know my experiences driving it for a few weeks.
but why not make a deal with them to delete everything?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
but why not make a deal with them to delete everything?
Pretty sure the dealers can't legally modify the emissions equipment. They won't touch that with a 10' pole. If it was me I'd just have tried to negotiate the cost of a delete out of the price and then get it to an independent shop willing to do the delete and tune.

And they'll surely send the car to auction.