Diesel Fuels

TDINooby

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi,
I am new to the TDI experience and was wondering if I could get a little information.
I live in Ontario, Canada and I just bought my first diesel car (Jetta TDI)
I am wondering what diesel station (brand) I should use. So far Esso, Pioneer, Shell and Canadian Tire are the ones in my area that have Diesel.

Any help would be welcome, thanks for your time.

TDINooby

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Think the best tip I have found is to simply try and buy from the stations that have the quickest turn over of fuel.

Or in simple terms, shop where the trucks go, high traffic stations. Try and avoid places who look like they have had the fuel sitting in the tanks for a long time if possible.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
Diesel Fuel

I have tried many brands and have realized that one BP (for example) will sell a very high quality diesel with 47 cetane and another will sell 40 cetane. I always disliked Sunoco until a friend of mine recommended a Sunoco with Premium Diesel. My car reached a record max miles per tank from that stuff. I tend to stick with stations with the higher cetane ratings. I always add 4oz of Diesel Kleen (Gray Bottle) with each fill up.

Hi,
I am new to the TDI experience and was wondering if I could get a little information.
I am wondering what diesel station (brand) I should use. So far Esso, Pioneer, Shell and Canadian Tire are the ones in my area that have Diesel.

TDINooby

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Hi,

TDINooby
Any station with a high turnover is good. There is little if any difference between oil companies product and your second line brands like Racetrack, Domo etc also get their fuel from one of the major oil companies refineries. I myself prefer Husky/Mohawk but don't know about their presence in the east. I prefer them because they sell premium diesel for the regular diesel price and I earn bonus points toward my Automobile club membership for dealing with them. I was recently on a road trip and misjudged my fuel level finding myself starting to worry about running out of fuel. I came upon a small gas station in the middle of nowhere that had a sign Diesel sold here. I pulled up to the pump and found it so rusty there was more rust on the pump than paint. At that point i decided that I'd rather run out of fuel than to use anything that came out of that pump. Furtunately I made it to the next town that was 15 minutes further with my fuel gauge firmly planted on E.:)

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Any station with a high turnover is good. There is little if any difference between oil companies product and your second line brands like Racetrack, Domo etc also get their fuel from one of the major oil companies refineries. I myself prefer Husky/Mohawk but don't know about their presence in the east. I prefer them because they sell premium diesel for the regular diesel price and I earn bonus points toward my Automobile club membership for dealing with them. I was recently on a road trip and misjudged my fuel level finding myself starting to worry about running out of fuel. I came upon a small gas station in the middle of nowhere that had a sign Diesel sold here. I pulled up to the pump and found it so rusty there was more rust on the pump than paint. At that point i decided that I'd rather run out of fuel than to use anything that came out of that pump. Furtunately I made it to the next town that was 15 minutes further with my fuel gauge firmly planted on E.:)
+1

As with gasoline, diesel is a true commodity. Refineries more or less dump their fuels into pipelines I think for distribution to retail outlets, and each refinery output from each company can end up in any other brand's retail outlet.

Except for additives, these are specific to each brand and are added before ending up in each retail station's underground storage containers.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
What Milesstandish states is true.
Located on the Arkansas Oklahoma border we are fortunate:confused: enough to have 2 TWO major pipelines in our area. one coming from the Northewst and one coming from the South. Some of the time, what you get at the same station, on different days is like cutting a deck of cards.
People may say I am wrong on this but I also used to work in the ferroalloys industry and sold to steel mills foundries and aluminum plants all over the Southwest. There were approximately 10 major competitors in the business and we all warehoused at the same location in the port of Houston. In 1982 Several freighters of SilicoManganese became available to us from Eastern Russia. WE ALL (all 10 of us) SOLD MATERIAL FROM THAT SAME LOT. We had the warehouse adjust the chemical lab analysis content on the shipping documents to the customer, everything in spec of course, and all customer specifically prohibited fines material would sift to the bottom of the trailer during truck during over the road shipping vibration.
I had one almost exclusive loyal customer that had a specification limit of 10% fines (material passing through an 8mesh screen) and I would constantly ship him 30% or more. He never checked his unloading and no one in his plant did any material recovery computations. I had to get rid of large volumes of fines somewhere, I mean you can't have any losses in this business and no one would pay for a briquetting machine.
Any BULK COMMODITY is handled in the same manner in this country. Anyone who tells you differently is either the CEO or the salesman for one of the subject companies.

Last edited: