B4 A/C blowing warm this season after 3 perfect seasons. Details of gauge readings...

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
A fellow forum member stopped over today. After 3 seasons of ice cold A/C on his 1996 B4 TDI even up to using it last season, it is blowing warm air this season. Upon putting the guages on we found his low side to be abnormally high @ 50PSI for the ambient temp (72F) outside and the high side to be low at 120PSI. We added a can and saw no low side change, and high went to around 120PSI. Still warm air. I seemed to recall having a high, low side pressure can be cause by blocked orifice tube. We pulled the Bentley and found the orifice valve was a block right before the lines went in the firewall. Can these cause this issue? Any input or direction we can send him would be helpful…

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm having the same type problem with my 96 Passat. A local AC guru has diagnosed it as a bad expansion valve. Parts on the way, and will confirm whether his diagnosis is correct.

EDIT: Expansion valve improved my pressures, but ulitmately required a new compressor, RCV, and dryer. Operation is now perfect.

Last edited:

jeffk14

TDI
1996 Passat
If I'm not mistaken, a bad expansion valve will give hi side readings normal to high with lo side high as well. With the hi side low, that points to a stuck RCV (refrigerant control valve) inside the compressor.

chinaloy

Veteran Member
TDI
1999,2001 Jettas
jeffK14 is correct. It's the refrigerant control valve. I replaced mine with a nut and bolt and now have ice cold a/c, even too cold.

I had the same symptoms, low side around 50 and high side at 120.

jeffk14

TDI
1996 Passat
chinaloy said:
jeffK14 is correct. It's the refrigerant control valve. I replaced mine with a nut and bolt and now have ice cold a/c, even too cold.

I had the same symptoms, low side around 50 and high side at 120.
Hey, chinaloy, can you tell me exactly what size & length bolt you used? I've gotta do mine & I want to have everything needed on hand before I tear into it. Thanks.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
The compressor found on our cars is designed such that as high side pressures climb, less refrigerant is allowed into the compressor. The incomming refrigerant is controled by (surprise) the Refrigerant Control Valve. This negative feedback control means that the compressor never cycles off; it just pumps less and uses less power as it pressurizes the system.

If a bolt is installed in place of the RCV, installing a high pressure cutoff switch will also be necessary. Otherwise, the compressor will freeze the evaporator (Too much liquid refrigerant, condenses water from the air, and it freezes on the evaporator.)

If anyone wants to try a used RCV, I have 2. One is out of a members used compressor, another is out of my own. Both compressors required replacement, so the valves are probably good. If you want one, please send me a PM.

I would try replacing the RCV in 2TDIguy's car, as his compressory clearly functions. (50/120) I would also drain the compressor of oil and refill. This will remove some wear particles from an old compressor and it will only take a couple minutes once it's off the car.

Also if you have the time, take some pictures of the RCV replacement. It would be good to have a write up. I failed to do so after I forgot to take my camera to my shop.

Last edited: