NEED HELP ASAP fast reply. IDK what GT turbo garrett sent me !!!

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
ok so here is my problem. I NEED A REPLY ASAP as i have t get my car on the road and order a new turbo if need be which will take a week to get!!!

i cleaned out my intake system to get rid of all the soot and when i took the turbo out for cleaning i found the housing was cracked and i was no longer going to reuse it. called my local supplier in Kitchener Ontario and he ordered me a factory replacement for the vnt15 aka the gt17v in modern day terms

today he calls me and says Garrett USA sent him a newer style turbo as the vnt15 is no longer made or remanufactured...... the label on the turbo says gt17v (which would be correct as a modern replacement BUT!!) the serial number on the box and number on the turbo don't match (both of them when I search Garrett website keep coming back with European models 88hp and 109hp units not the NA 90hp unit until the last page which says VW new beetle / tdi ALH 98-05 ?? 90hp but all golf and boras are saying 2006 year with either the 88 or 109 hp units.. i thought the alh was made in both markets until 03?? makes me not trust their website at all. this also doesnt make me trust there stamp saying gt17v as if they messed up the PN# what else could they of messed up.
the label does say made in the uk so i understand why these units are coming up but did they share the same turbo as the NA market??

GARRETT wesbite search
LINK ATTACHED.
https://installerconnect.garrettmot...07S&lang=en_US&utm_source=GarrettMotionSearch

below are the PN# SN# and turbo number on the box and on the unit
https://ibb.co/84B7Ppn
https://ibb.co/HnzjV7F

if you noticed the lst 4 digits on the box show 9007s, meanwhile the turbo shows 9006s...... you cannot find a 9006s on garrett pn search but the lnk i shared above is all from the 9007s??? SO MANY THINGS ARE INCONSISTENT

my id parts guy called Garrett said they said it is a replacement but didn't specify which unit is it the gt17v or the VA(gt17v) my parts guy calls it a gt7va which is slightly bigger turbine but same as a gt17, and then, of course, there is the larger gt17vb which im not using. i do not want to install this turbo and find out i need injectors or a tune to not starve the thing. can my factory intercooler handle is aswell if it is slightly larger turbo running hotter??

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
The car will only make as much boost as the computer tells it to. If you're stock it should act mostly like a vnt15 if not just like it. Depending on how much larger the turbo is it could take longer to spool but unlikely you'd notice with such a small size increase. And if it is a larger turbo it shouldn't work as hard to make stock boost meaning in theory it should last longer. It shouldn't run any hotter either, that would come from fuel not boost

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
From what ive learnt the vnt 15 is equivalent to a gt17v.
The gt17vb is equivalent to a vnt17 (NO they are not the same turbo ) as id parts sells the vnt17. And garrett sells the gt17vb . ..... and in between these 2 types of turbos lies the gt17va turbo. I still dont know which i have whether it be a gt17v (vnt15 equivalent ) or a gt17va (slightly larger turbine size) ..... the box says va, the turbo says v. The box has a part number thats correct... the turbo has a incorrect pn.... either way it isnt a gt17vb so i wont worry as i wont starve the turbo hense the injector and tune upgrade required to feed it properly.........

BUT END OF THE DAY will a euro spec tdi turbo work on NA cars . As these turbos are set for 109hp thats 19 more than factory. What is creating this extra hp. The tune on the factory ecu? Injector size from factory? What??? Can a gt17va be used without modification if this is in fact what i have? I can safely say that factory the biggest turbo you can use is a gt17va qithout modification....as the gt17vb is next followed by the gt17/22 which is alot larger. And then fuel/tune /lines are now required to be changed

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The Euro cars do do have larger nozzles as per the interweb...

What are you talking about NA cars? Is your car an ALH?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'd say you can. As stated by WildChild80 the ecm will only allow so much boost. So you won't be using the full potential of the turbo, but it'll work just fine. All the connections look the same right? Rock and roll it then.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I love my S7 with 3 inch straight pipe with resonator...

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yes! I love turbo whistle. Please upload a video. Any lag?

Did they send you something that was mis-marked or is this available on their website???

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
ok ill upload a video later this evening, i plan on putting a resonator in right were the CAT usually would be so if i get pulled over for a visual (probably never happen BUT IF) i can say that's my high flow cat or something lol.

VINCENZAV.... no lag it spools really quickly and the car is born again, it feels totally different.. the acceleration is awesome it just pulls hard.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you want external files to be a permanent part of the forum, please use pics.tdiclub.com (instructions link in my signature). Ignore the word "Photo", rather see the file type list.
jpg,jpeg,png,gif
mpeg,mpg,avi,asf,wmv,mov,pdf,doc,xls,xlsx

Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
sweet, I will use that for future references for photos or videos, I made a youtube account last night. sorry for the delay ill try my best to upload after work this evening around 7 pm.