rear axle replacement

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
In a recent rainstorm, I hit a rock or something hard enough to dent my right rear wheel and bend the beam axle in my aging but beloved '02 Jetta :(. The car has just over 200K on it. Alignment guy says it's bent pretty bad, so I'll be replacing the axle as soon as it comes in from IDParts. For peace of mind, I'm replacing the stub axle on that side as well.

Good thing is, I needed new rear axle bushings anyway. My rear wheel bearings are original, so of course I'll replace those. Not to mention the rusty brake splash shields. And anything else I find hanging back there...

So far, this is what I think I need to order:
2 Bearing/hub kits
2 stub bolt sets
2 axle nuts
2 splash shields

Do I have to replace my ABS sensors? I thought I remembered that they are virtually impossible to remove without destroying them.

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks.
Paul

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
After this much time, the ABS sensors will have 2 problems. The fasteners will rust, making it likely they'll break when you try and remove them. The other problem is that the iron core will swell when water/salt/ other corrosion promoters get in that core and cause rust. It swells up and wedges itself in the hole through the carrier. That's what makes it nearly impossible to remove them.

So, yeah, go ahead and order one each.