Where to find the 04 center console thing?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Ide like to change my 02 to the 04 center console with the cup holders.

Where can I find it?

Also, how hard is it to add the armrest in?

TX!

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
You just have to unscrew a few things and move the parking break over (new bracket for that)

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds pretty easy.....

Where might I find the console?

Tx!

EZC6083

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Black
Impex, used to talk to Jerry (Birdman) but he's no longer employed there. Just do a search, there are several posts with part numbers, etc.

You won't regret the couple hundred bucks doing this. Very easy as long as you get the new e-brake handle.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did a search, and it looked like the part was 50 bucks or something like that......|?

bean boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Wagon
Call impex. they have a complete kit, but its more than $50. they will need to know the color. its much easier to change if you don't have an arm rest. lots of tech help in the how tos or by search. great upgrade. i left my oldcup holders in for spares. i sold my old cosole and ash tray which helped offset the cost

Golf_GTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Anyone have pics of what this looks like? I would LOVE to have a center section more like my Passat and this may be a great way to do it.

EZC6083

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Black
The console itself is, but you need to add for the goodies... Rear cupholder, new e-brake handle, random bits of trim stuff. Nothing on the old center console is compatible with the new one save for the arm rest. Also, see if ordering the parts seperate is cheaper than the "kit", as mine turned out to be almost ten bucks less. Don't ask me why. Bottom line, great comfort upgrade especially for those long commutes/trips.

Obadiah

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
THREAD RESURRECTION!

I just got the parts for this, and it was a pain to put all the info together.

Start with this guide: http://sites.vwsport.com/fierrpawz/

And correct the part numbers for the "coin holder". The color codes (suffixes) listed are wrong. The part number starts with 1J0-863-328-G, but the color code at the end is:
Beige - Q70
Grey - U71
Black - B41

Also, instead of bending the stock brake handle, I bought a new one.

Hence, you have this for the corrected and expanded parts list:
1J0-863-323-R-2QL - BLACK console
1J0-862-533-F-2QL - BLACK rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-B41 - BLACK coin holder
1J0-858-033-2QL - BLACK Cap
1JM-711-303-4J4 - E-Brake Handle

1J0-863-323-R-3SG - GREY Console
1J0-862-533-F-3SG - GREY rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-U71 - GREY coin holder
1J0-858-033-3SG - GREY Cap

1J0-863-323-R-4TE - BEIGE Console
1J0-862-533-F-4TE - BEIGE rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-Q70 - BEIGE coin holder
1J0-858-033-4TE - BEIGE Cap​

(The E-Brake handle does not include the cover, which you transfer from the old handle to the new one.)

Also, if you want to eliminate the armrest, either because you don't use it, or because it's starting to buckle under your arm and you're just sick of it, you can. Just don't put the metal armrest support or the armrest itself back in. Here's the part number for the rear tray to cover the hole:

1J0-858-373-C-2QL - BLACK rear tray
1J0-858-373-C-3SG - GREY rear tray
1J0-858-373-C-4TE - BEIGE rear tray

A great place to search for all of this is the parts catalog at http://www.1stvwparts.com
It's the same place where I bought my PhatBox, and I've been very satisfied with their ordering process, promptness of shipping, and customer service. :)

TOTAL COST FROM 1STVWPARTS.COM: about $175 shipped Ground. Deleting the lever and modding your own will save you about $70.

[EDIT] It came out GREAT! I'm waiting on the coin holder and the rear tray to fill the two holes, but other than that it looks factory. (Eliminating the armrest was a mid-mod decision...I didn't feel like putting the armrest and its holder back in.) It only took about 20 minutes, and I'm pretty much the complete opposite of "mechanically inclined". Check it out:

Kudos to the 'Tex for having the procedure linked, and for a lot of help with part numbers.

Mike

P.S. if anyone knows who "Firepawzz" is, could you e-mail or PM them the corrected part #'s? There's no e-mail link on the page or anything. And thank him/her for putting up such a valuable guide!

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
EZC6083 said:
The console itself is, but you need to add for the goodies... Rear cupholder, new e-brake handle, random bits of trim stuff. Nothing on the old center console is compatible with the new one save for the arm rest. Also, see if ordering the parts seperate is cheaper than the "kit", as mine turned out to be almost ten bucks less. Don't ask me why. Bottom line, great comfort upgrade especially for those long commutes/trips.

Obadiah
FYI, you don't need a new handle.. You only need to drill out the holes on the base plate of the current handle to give it a little more side to side movement. You can then mount it at a angle to fit the new console..

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
LNXGUY said:
FYI, you don't need a new handle.. You only need to drill out the holes on the base plate of the current handle to give it a little more side to side movement. You can then mount it at a angle to fit the new console..
Right...the site I linked above explains exactly how to do that. It looked a bit scary to me, so I decided to spend the extra $$$ and get the new handle.

Mike

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
and did your new handle come loaded with a chrome or aluminum button....

there are 2 diffrent 2004 hand-brakes then...
add it to the p#s... if you have it

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
BoosTDIt said:
and did your new handle come loaded with a chrome or aluminum button....

there are 2 diffrent 2004 hand-brakes then...
add it to the p#s... if you have it
Mine came with a chrome one, I believe. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even pay attention to that detail.

I don't have the aluminum one, but I'll try to find it.

Mike

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
OOPS! Forgot to post the final result, with the armrest removed and the hole plugged, and the coin holder in. Here are the pics...

I think it came out pretty well (except for the crappy photography on my part).

For $150 (or so), I can recommend this to everybody with an A4 who hates the in-dash drinkholders.

Mike

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Ordered a complete kit in grey from Impex today. I'll pick it up next Saturday at Impexfest V. It's going in my wife's 2002 Jetta TDI wagon. Finally an end to the annoying cupholder completely blocking the double din radio.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Achtung what ended up to be the total bill from Impex for the Grey set...console parts only..no need for a hand-brake because i have a extra '04 one

i'm asking for a friend who needs it in grey

also there is no need to remove the arm rest...
only the R32 and some of the cars with Recaros have some clearance issues with the arm rests moving up..

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Mike_M said:
Mine came with a chrome one, I believe. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even pay attention to that detail.

I don't have the aluminum one, but I'll try to find it.

Mike
OK Mike...
i figured it out...i guess no need to add h-brake p#'s

i made a "How-to" for swaping to the aluminum h-brake button...herehttp://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137172

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
BoosTDIt said:
Achtung what ended up to be the total bill from Impex for the Grey set...console parts only..no need for a hand-brake because i have a extra '04 one.
Sorry BoosT for the slow reply. I ordered the total kit with the hand brake at the Impexfest special for about $150.00 picked up. I'd imagine with the hand brake it would have been half the cost. Regular cost at Impex is about $166 and the dealer wanted just over $90 for the hand brake.

I did the install yesterday and everything fit well. I did remove the arm rest which probably added about 1 minute to the total work time.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
ACHTUNG TDI said:
Ordered a complete kit in grey from Impex today. I'll pick it up next Saturday at Impexfest V. It's going in my wife's 2002 Jetta TDI wagon. Finally an end to the annoying cupholder completely blocking the double din radio.
:eek::eek::eek: They have complete kits? Where? I can't find anything.

Mike

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Go to worldimpex website and for part number type PK2003_console. It will bring up the grey one. If you want a black one leave the "." off at the end of the part number. Big price difference between grey and black.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
ACHTUNG TDI said:
Go to worldimpex website and for part number type PK2003_console. It will bring up the grey one. If you want a black one leave the "." off at the end of the part number. Big price difference between grey and black.
Cool! Looks like it's a bit more expensive than 1stvwparts, but it's good to know that WorldImpex has a ready-made kit, instead of having to search for the parts individually.

Thanks!

Mike

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Mine is in! I thought the color (grey) was off initially...but I cleaned up all the trim parts removed and it all matches installed. I like! 5 cupholders :p

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
mydeathbynapalm said:
Mine is in! I thought the color (grey) was off initially...but I cleaned up all the trim parts removed and it all matches installed. I like! 5 cupholders :p
Cupholders are a very good thing. I'm trying to figure out how to take out those wretched dash-mounted ones now and expand the "storage" thingy above the stereo. My sunglasses are about 1/16" too tall to fit.

Mike

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike_M said:
Cool! Looks like it's a bit more expensive than 1stvwparts, but it's good to know that WorldImpex has a ready-made kit, instead of having to search for the parts individually.

Thanks!

Mike
It's not quite a ready made kit as I believe they order the five parts individually. What else would explain that when I picked up the "kit" at Impexfest the coin holder which is the cheapest of all the parts was the beige one and not grey. They resolved without a problem and shipped the grey one a few days later.

BoosTdi

What is the oem sunglass holder?

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
it replaces the grab handle (eighter side) in the head liner...
i'm waiting for mine to arrive so i'll send you the p#
the first time around i got the wrong one (Passat/NB) had to send it back

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
ACHTUNG TDI said:

IMPEX SKU # 207451
Golf , Jetta IV Black Center Conso
Golf , Jetta IV Black Center Console Kit With Cup Holder This Kit Includes Console , Brake Handle , Cap , Rear Cup Holder and Coin Holder

IMPEX SKU # 266123
Golf , Jetta IV Center Conso LIGHT BEIGE
Golf , Jetta IV Center Console Kit
Cup Holder ,Console , Brake Handle , Cap , Coin Holder

no grey is listed

Without the cap... it's like $152--something (no point in buying the cap when I don't need the cap)

Last edited: