Injectors from a pick and pull

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Hey guys. was at my local PNP this morning where i found a few mk4 1.9. One in particular a golf which look like there where a few mods added to it. It was an automatic and the IP had been removed. What i did see was the injectors looked new or recently replaced. So pulled them and seen that the part numbers on the body are for the 5 speed 1.9. So my question is has anyone installed injectors from a PNP and do injectors that seat for a while with out fuel in them seize up? Thanks .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
A bad or messed up nozzle can easily pit a hole though the piston and the side wall. But that's worst case.
Best thing you can do is a basic pop test at home with a few basic things from Ebay. Youtube it. Basically you need a bottle jack and a rig. I've only seen videos of this being done, but I would not put that into my engine with out testing them.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hey guys. was at my local PNP this morning where i found a few mk4 1.9. One in particular a golf which look like there where a few mods added to it. It was an automatic and the IP had been removed. What i did see was the injectors looked new or recently replaced. So pulled them and seen that the part numbers on the body are for the 5 speed 1.9. So my question is has anyone installed injectors from a PNP and do injectors that seat for a while with out fuel in them seize up? Thanks .
If you wanted you could send them out to be checked. It's hit or miss with JY parts, they could be good and recently serviced or they might not be, you just never know.

Steve

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
You fail to indicate whether or not the injectors were "exposed" (wide open as in fuel lines removed) to the dust and moisture. If they left the fuel lines in place...well, clearly that would be better. If you found this with exposed tops on those injectors (inlet)….expect nothing good.

I HATE pick and pulls. I only have one pss-poor one near me. And, every time I go out there...….one thing is successfully removed....and 6000 items are totally destroyed by morons.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You fail to indicate whether or not the injectors were "exposed" (wide open as in fuel lines removed) to the dust and moisture. If they left the fuel lines in place...well, clearly that would be better. If you found this with exposed tops on those injectors (inlet)….expect nothing good.
I HATE pick and pulls. I only have one pss-poor one near me. And, every time I go out there...….one thing is successfully removed....and 6000 items are totally destroyed by morons.
Can't disagree with you about that, trick is to be the first one there if possible.

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
The lines where still connected to the injectors. I will have them test this weekend, they are soaking in diesel fuel till then.

Thanks everyone for all your great info.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Can't disagree with you about that, trick is to be the first one there if possible.
Steve
My escape has like 100 rock chips on the hood, i was at a pick and pull to grab some parts, saw a new escape in the lot that was not there 3 weeks ago, exact colour too. some jagoff put the hood up too far and bent the back parts that curve back chipping the paint and bending it past the point of no return. MY RAGE.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
soak in purge would be a better idea.
one way is to install, after soaking, and see how motor runs. esp white smoke or inbalance is an indicator of bad/seized injectors. then run VDCS there are a few diagnostics one is the IQ. not 100% sure its accurate for each injector, still separate readings for each.
you can bottle feed purge can.

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
soak in purge would be a better idea.
one way is to install, after soaking, and see how motor runs. esp white smoke or inbalance is an indicator of bad/seized injectors. then run VDCS there are a few diagnostics one is the IQ. not 100% sure its accurate for each injector, still separate readings for each.
you can bottle feed purge can after checking at first for smoke or that it runs ok.
Oh yeah Purge...I'll get a can tomorrow after work. still early in the week.
Thanks for the info.