Engine won't turn over, has lights and power

Big Red

Veteran Member
Engine won\'t turn over, has lights and power

Didn't have time to do an extensive search. My '98 Jetta almost didn't start twice today. First turn of the key gave all dash lights, but when turned to "start" it didn't turn over. On the third off-on attempt the engine turned over and started right up.
Happened a second time later in the day.

Since I have dash lights I don't think this is a 109 problem.

Anyone else have this?

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1

I recommend you do a search for the ignition switch. I do not remember all of the symptoms that go with it but this may be one of them. Di you try wiggling the key? Also, if your mileage is correct, the dealer should replace it for free. It seems to be a more common failure on the B4 than the A3 though.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Apparently some A3s have the ignition switch problem. Is a little less than $200 to fix I think. Dunno if that is part only or part and install.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be having an issue with the central locking/factory alarm. If the alarm doesn't completely dissengage at first, the dash will all light up, but you won't get any action out of the engine.

I would suggest looking at the ignition switch first, though, as that is your likely candidate.