Saturday June 28th Merrill MI TBelt GTG

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Couple cars need a timing belt and since one of them is in Lew's fleet, he has asked me to sound the call for a GTG horn.

saturday (just incase some of you get the day confused again)

new folks are always welcome, we'll probably do what we normally do - a big feast - maybe I'll even try to get some of that GeWilli chili that's been absent at the last few GTGs made ...

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Sounds like fun. Do your cars still need brake work Lew? I'd love to be there, but I might have to spend my time moving that weekend. If I have time I'll definately stop by. If I can't make it you guys can borrow my brake tools (Motive bleeder, rear piston windback tool, and whatever else I have).

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Komarek, there should be a couple of vagcoms here so no problem! Zanzabar....where ya going? I still have 2 golfs that should be bled but with a possibility of 4 T belts I'll have to do that another time. Stop by if ya can though!

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Lew,
Just moving to a new place down in Perry, it'll be tough, but I'm pretty sure I can find some time to come over. We can take care of your brake jobs during the T-belts no problem. The bleeds only take 20min.

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday than with some high quality diesel heads

Only problem I have is, I have no idea how to get there. If I can get an address, I can Mapquest (yes, this is a new verb) the directions. Also, can we come up with a more solid time? I ask since I do volunteer work on Saturday mornings...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
2895 South Fenmore Rd, Merrill MI 48637
Its 2 miles South and 1 mile West of the town of Merrill (and its one stoplight)on hwy 46.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Geez, sorry Adam, I thought you were here for one of the GTG's....Britt( whose NB T belt we are planning on doing) and anyone else from that area....75N to Hwy 57 W....go thru Chesaning Turn right (N) on Merrill Rd for 13 miles turn left (W) on Swan Creek for 1 mile, then Right (N) on Fenmore (its dirt) and we are the first house on the right....lots of pines, circle drive, lots of parking

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Hey Mr. Metal, Coming up from A² you can get on M-52, take it North to the stoplight North of St. Charles, Swan Creek Rd. Left or West past two stop signs (Hemlock and Merrill Rds.) and Fenmore Rd. will be the next crossroad. Take a right and it's the first 2 drives on the right, with all the VWs
I'm planning to make it there 10:00 AMish unless the plans for the breakfast club are different, any firm plans to meet for brekkers Geoff? Looking forward to it at any rate!

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto
Oh, Man--I just ordered a set of OEM 5-speed injectors (.184's?) for my Auto Jetta and they will not be in until middle of next week. Big bummer for me cuz I would cancel my fishing trip to get some diesel head advice and coaching to put them in at this GTG if I were to have them in time. Oh well -- hope you guys have a great time, I'll be missing this one.

Mark

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mark, (sipndsl)

when they get in give me a shout. I can probably do a drive by install/help withya. Assuming you got the one with the proper connector. Even if not we can make something work
gimme a shout at work if you want to set something like that up.

and Mark (of diesel),

I'm always on for breakfast. Maybe if we make B-fast 9am? or 8:30? that would give us time to eat b-fore the later arisers get there. Meet at Lew's first? for anyone not as local as you who has a few tools that could be dropped off before breakfast? I've got a peiced together map of the place . . . lemme dig it up.

G

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
I need to buy a new-used wheel (15" OEM five spoke grey/silver alloy). Anyone got one of these wheels or possibly a whole set of something nice they could pass on to me??

KenMc5

TDI
98 Black Jetta TDI
I'm in, the last meet in Alma sparked (or compressed) my interest to learn more. If you need some basic tools jack, jack stands... let me know. The Jetta goes into the shop this Thursday to replace a leaking seal (warranty work), hope to have it back by the weekend. It's been running great, switched to the Amoco Premier shortly after the last GTG. Made a big difference. Ken

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't worry Coolwht...Merrill ain't big!!!!(only 1 stop light!) Meet here and then decide to go to Lil Bambio's or Grettas.
I'll get a head count going in a day or two....Renae (the Golf that needs a T belt) will make up some cheesy potatoes....they were a big hit at Meander's graduation party and we'll cook up some brats for lunch.

Bring what it is you like to drink and if you'd like to add a dessert/salad/chips you are welcome!
Sure hope some of the newer MI folks stop by!

Jammer

I'm new to the site. My daughter has a 2000 beetle TDI. Dealer wants $700 to replace timing belt and tensioner. Is this about right. They say they need the # off the timing belt cover so that they can get the right size belt. This can't be right, can it Can you help. Jammer

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Just show up if you can. We'll have the correct parts on hand. Labor much cheaper too.

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto
Hey guys, even though I won't make it, I have some B100 news from Coyne in Mt. Pleasant. Stopped today for a fill-up and they were able to top off my tank with their metered pump and they also had pre-filled 5 gallon pails of B100 that come with a pourable spout...price was $2.27/gal total. I picked up 4 of the pails and have them in my trunk. I will be travelling from Lakeview to Lapeer on Saturday and can swing by Lew's if there is anyone going to be there that wants some. Roughly $11.50 for each 5 gallons.

If there is any interest, e-mail me and I will see if I can make time to stop and drop on the way.

Have fun, folks -- Mark.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2.27 before taxes right?

if not I'm gonna have a couple choice words for the Coyne folks!!!!

if you wanna drop me an email about your daughter's TDI feel free. As for labor, thats about right, and the nice thing is you have no assuance that it will be done right or that the car will work the same as before.

I'm gonna guess there will be 2 extra sets of timing belt kits that people could buy on the spot. The parts are definately not cheap, but they are about $500 cheaper than the $700 quoted . . .

hmmm - not many responses... so far we've got two cars coming in for timing belts, Robert from Indy driving up, MOGolf sounds like a maybe, me and who else? Maybe mark of diesel? anyone else? As for breakfast, meet at lew's at 8:30 and then head over? Or just skip it this time and save it for next time? Where is Eljean our fearless breakfast leader?

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jammer, don't know your location but you sure are welcome here!
Here's the list of folks showing up or stopping by:
Geoff, Komarek, Zanabar, Mr. Metal, Mark of Diesel, KenMc5, CoolWht, Britt B (Beetle T belt), Someone with a Jetta (T belt), MOGolf, Renae (Golf auto T belt), SipinDsl (to drop me off a can or 2 of that sweet Biodiesel

Anyone else....???? You are welcome to come & visit!

.....Haven't heard from IrishChicky....maybe she wants to have hers done when we do Meanders...Though I think Meander has a leaky crank seal....Glen you ever done one of those?

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I'll be at Lews at 8:30 for the breakfast club and staying for the diesel fun! I'd only like to get the Passat on a VAG-COM to check an intermittant CEL and maybe do a ventectomy, otherwise, I'll play the bellypan extractor man for the TB changes and content myself with sticking my nose in anywhere else I can. Hey Sipnd! you're going fishing instead of this?!
Everyone knows they don't bite on GTG days!

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
I need to buy a new-used wheel (15" OEM five spoke grey/silver alloy). Anyone got one of these wheels or possibly a whole set of something nice they could pass on to me??
Quoting myself

I'm in for breakfast too.

I've been experimenting/playing with rotor warpage. You know, just doing my best to be the "brake expert"
Does anyone have a tool for measuring the rotor thickness, I had some problems with not changing the old rotors out with the new pads, and I'd like to see how thick they are after turning, and how warped they actually are. Also, is there a good parts place nearby where we can get pads and rotors? Like in Alma, there might be a few people there that didn't realize their rear pads were worn out. I wouldn't mind getting dirty. Bleeding is too easy. Which reminds me, anyone that wants to bleed their brake fluid/clutch, I'll have the motive...you bring the fluid.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's looking good for me to show up. Accommodations have been arranged, thanks to Lew.
We definitely have to go to breakfast.

I do happen to have a couple of crankshaft seals (and bolts) in my parts supplies. However, I haven't gotten around to getting the "special tools" for holding the crank sprocket when unbolting/bolting, or extracting/installing the seal. Maybe we can put our collective minds together in improvising. Holding the crank sprocket should be the easy part.

No spare brake pads or rotors though.

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto
Yeah, my math did not add up when I actually put some thought into the price. They quoted $2.27/gal for the B100 then charged me $2.42 once they added the road tax. That brings the total to let's say $12.00/5 gal pail.

I have one taker at the moment so will only throw in one. Anyone else should let me know before 8 AM Saturday.

See you then -- Mark

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I regret that I have to miss another GTG. But the good news is this. A new piece of TDI service equipment is in our future.Incidentally,if any one out there is an expert at the art of drilling 3/4" holes 4" deep in hardass concrete speak up! I've got twelve of them to do and it's not going well.
Marty

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I'm using a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill and I'm having trouble even drilling a 1/2" pilot hole. The concrete is 6 bag mix fibermesh and about 4 years old. It looks like I may have to go to a more macho dedicated rotary hammer or something.
What hammerdrill did you use, Joe?

TDI
As one of Gov. Jen's dark minions of the highways
I've made lots of holes in lots of cement and when it comes to this bit of work, bigger is better, read BIG air compressor, air hammer with drill bit Etc. short of that, we also use a rather large electric Rockwell (I think) rock drill. Try to make sure the bit is relatively new and sweat away! Good luck JETaah, wouldn't you rather be TDIing?