Stage 2 Malone with straight pipe, muffler, diesel dubs, and rawtek exhaust clips

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW
Tossing up the idea of doing a Malone stage 2 withe doe delete but want to hear the different exhaust options. I'm torn between doing a Straight pipe (not sure if it's so loud it will annoy me), stock muffler, diesel dubs, and rawtek. I have found a couple clips on YouTube but thought I would also get some info from owners and if they would go that route again. Thanks in advance guys

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Merle---I have nothing to answer your questions (other than trying to search) but was wondering how everything was going with that great smiling little beauty you posted pictures of in one of your other threads. Hoping all is well with you and your family. when you get the opportunity update the other thread with a picture of the little one growing up. you may want to check the power enhancements sections, as I believe others have asked this before.

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW
Merle---I have nothing to answer your questions (other than trying to search) but was wondering how everything was going with that great smiling little beauty you posted pictures of in one of your other threads. Hoping all is well with you and your family. when you get the opportunity update the other thread with a picture of the little one growing up. you may want to check the power enhancements sections, as I believe others have asked this before.
Thank you SOOOO much for asking!!! Seriously, you have no idea how amazing that makes me feel that you would even remember. She is doing awesome!! She turned 9 months on the 26. She is an amazing little girl..... That's really the best way for me to describe her.... She's always happy and only gets a little fussy when she is hungry, needs a change, or wants to play. I am a lucky daddy :)

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Merle---I was only the first to respond or recognize your username not the only one to remember. My eldest cousin was pregnant with three and as life would have it, unfortunately, lost them all, so I understand in a "very distant" way what you went through. Hoping for all the best in the future.

13CJAA

TDI
'13 Golf TDI 6MT
Merle,
I just recently had Malone stage 2 and some exhaust work done by Les up at DieselDubs. I have the stock muffler in place and am really happy with the sound. I will say that the stock muffler on a Golf is less restrictive than I thought it was and the setup is a little bit louder than I originally imagined. Its not obnoxious and there is a very slight drone that can barely be heard over music played at a normal level on the highway. I live down in Calvert County and I see your in Annapolis. I'd be happy to meet up some time If you'd like to hear my setup.
Shawn

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Forget those other guys and get your pipes from buzzken. I have his dp and mid going into the stock muffler and it's a nice growl. Also have a Malone stg 2. Average about 53/54 mpg since the tune and deletes.

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW
Buzzken? Never heard of them. I'll look into them.

Shawn, I would really appreciate it. I can offer lunch and some beers in trade!

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW
Merle---I was only the first to respond or recognize your username not the only one to remember. My eldest cousin was pregnant with three and as life would have it, unfortunately, lost them all, so I understand in a "very distant" way what you went through. Hoping for all the best in the future.

It's something we still battle and cope with on a very regular basis, but focusing on Sadie is a good distraction

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Forget those other guys and get your pipes from buzzken. I have his dp and mid going into the stock muffler and it's a nice growl. Also have a Malone stg 2. Average about 53/54 mpg since the tune and deletes.
The good thing about BuzzKen's pipe is that his downpipe can bolt onto the stock muffler. Rawtek's cannot. If you just want to do a DPF delete, his system with just the downpipe would cost $500. Rawtek would need a $1300 investment. Additionally, Ken said that the sound wouldn't change much with just his downpipe, because you'd still have the stock muffler.

Here is his TDi club member profile: http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=176311

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
I have a BuzzKen DP with Borla catback (Straight piped) and am in Rockville if you want to hear it. I had the stock muffler on first with the DP and it was just way too quiet for me, you could hear more turbo noise but that was about it.

Even straight piped, it isn't really that loud inside the car when just cruising. My S4 which was on a 3.5" exhaust with one vibrant muffler was WAY louder than the TDI is.

13CJAA

TDI
'13 Golf TDI 6MT
The good thing about BuzzKen's pipe is that his downpipe can bolt onto the stock muffler. Rawtek's cannot. If you just want to do a DPF delete, his system with just the downpipe would cost $500. Rawtek would need a $1300 investment. Additionally, Ken said that the sound wouldn't change much with just his downpipe, because you'd still have the stock muffler.
I have the Diesel Dubs 2.5" downpipe which also bolts directly to the stock muffler.
Also , the sound is drastically different from stock, even with the stock muffler in place. I have heard that the Jetta muffler is more restrictive\quiter compared to the Golf muffler.
Shawn

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Stage 2 Malone with straight pipe, muffler, diesel dubs, and rawtek exhaust c...

This set up is from BuzzKen. Awesome guy to deal with. I recommend this guy to anyone.

Here is a clip with Malone Stage 2 and 3 " straight flow turbo back. It Sounds like a beast when put under load.

https://vimeo.com/104816885

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
You have no resonator / cat or muffler?

I have 3" Rawtek with cat and resonator on my car but I'm thinking of getting rid of the cat as well.

huskiemuskie

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Stage 2 & DSG from Diesel dubs

09 Jetta TDI automatic... I just did (over the weekend) the Stage 2 with DSG tune, DPF & EGR delete... turbo back to cat delete from there I used the OEM exhaust. pretty much stock sounding with a little more turbo whistle... :D

I got everything through and from Les at Diesel dubs... I sent him my ECU he re-flashed it sent back with the DPF delete exhaust kit along with the DSG programming flash tool needed to the tune the DSG tranny (no charge). He actually re-flashed my DSG while I sat and watched in my garage... he did it remotely from his shop in another state. COOL Stuff great guy to work with and very knowledgeable on TDI's

VERY happy with the results so far first day to work 51.4MPG +5 improvement. Performance increase is notably good definitely awakened it... Very happy with the quality of the Downpipe kit... Right up there with Rawtek in my opinion... I have some good pics if you interested...

Last edited:

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW
Hey guys, thanks for the info! I have been laid up with kidney stones so you guys who have pm'd me I will get back to shortly

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I got everything through and from Les at Diesel dubs... I sent him my ECU he re-flashed it sent back with the DPF delete exhaust kit along with the DSG programming flash tool needed to the tune the DSG tranny (no charge). He actually re-flashed my DSG while I sat and watched in my garage... he did it remotely from his shop in another state. COOL Stuff great guy to work with and very knowledgeable on TDI's

I have some good pics if you interested...
Hey huskiemuskie

Great to hear you are happy with it. Did you do it all as a DIY project? If so, how hard is it to do for a semi-competent car guy. How do you get at the DPF to remove it and install new pipe, by removing the engine?

And yes would love to see photos.

huskiemuskie

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hi yes I did all myself... No did not have to remove the engine... However, if you do not have a car lift or use of one... I would think it is near next to impossible to remove the DPF and exhaust... I have a lift which made thing much easier... I will try to post some pics...;)

Hey huskiemuskie

Great to hear you are happy with it. Did you do it all as a DIY project? If so, how hard is it to do for a semi-competent car guy. How do you get at the DPF to remove it and install new pipe, by removing the engine?

And yes would love to see photos.[/QUOTE]

Tintman718

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf (5-spd), '10 Golf (6-spd), '12 Touareg
I had a Buzzken DP on my MK4. Definitely a quality-made piece. This is the first time I've heard that he also makes MK6 exhausts. You can't beat $500 for both the downpipe and midpipe. Rawtek wants more than that for just the DP.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Looks like the main difference between the buzzken downpipe and the other contenders is:
Buzzken DP: T409
Rawtek: T304
Diesel Dubs: T304

What is the difference between 304 and 409 stainless steel?
You may wonder why with some stainless steel products become rusty after a year, while the others remain in the perfect condition they were in when you bought them. You may also think that it may have something to do with the price and quality because the stainless steel products you bought at a low price are the ones that became rusty right away, while the more expensive stainless steel products are the ones that are still rust-free. Your assumptions are partly true because different stainless steels were used in those products.
Generally, regular steel becomes stainless when chromium is added to it. Chromium is an element that allows it to produce a filmy texture. This film serves as a buffer that prevents corrosion and even scratches and cuts. The more chromium is added to steel, the more stainless it becomes. This means that it becomes even more resistant to corrosion or oxidation. The addition of nickel content to the steel also enhances its resistance. Obviously, stainless steel products that turn rusty right away have less chromium content in its material and they are mostly constructed with t409 stainless steel.
To get your money's worth when buying stainless steel products, you have to know the difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel.
Stainless steel systems
The t304 and t409 are stainless steel production systems. The t304 system is more expensive because it is made to be more durable and it is a higher quality of stainless steel. The t304 system is generally used in equipment that requires more strength and durability like in cars and machines.
Chromium content
The difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel lies in their chromium content. T304 has more chromium than t409, between 18% to 20%. It also has a nickel content between 8% to 10%. T409 has chromium content of 10.50% to 11.75%. Its nickel content is only 0.50%. Because t304 has so much chromium and nickel content and very little ferrous material, magnets will not stick to it, whereas magnets will stick to t409.
Getting the right one
Knowing the difference between the t304 and t409 stainless steel will help you when you buy stainless steel products. The t304 system will not oxidize or rust. However, it can develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. The t409 stainless steel has a lot of ferrous material in it and can show surface oxidation after a while, especially when exposed to calcium chloride or salt. However, this can be prevented by applying stainless steel cleanser using a scouring pad.
If you are concerned about long-term appearance, then you should get the t304. If you are more concerned about the price but want something that is fairly durable, then the t409 will work just as well. So the next time you buy a stainless steel product, make sure you ask about t304 and t409 stainless steel options.
Stainless steel info from:
http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
When I had my mk6 I had Les install his downpipe on my car, which was attached to a muffler-less catback I had fabbed already installed. DPF, EGR, flap, etc all gone. Nothing but a straight pipe from the turbo back. It was not offensively loud. I loved the noise. My mileage went up 7-10%. Malone stage 2 was programmed at the same time. I was in love with it.

http://youtu.be/ctNPzymfZ2Y
http://youtu.be/j1UD7TlL1PA
http://youtu.be/V_TPxp72Bmo
http://youtu.be/8xNaYv0j74I
That really does sound fantastic!:cool:
What size downpipe are you using? 2.5 or 3"?

Howling

TDI
2013 Golf 2dr Dsg
I will hopefully doing a turbo back exhaust, Malone stage 2 and dsg tune sometime next year. Not sure on if I'm going with a straight pipe or not, so these videos help.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
BIGMerle , I'm running the Rawtek catted downpipe with their resonator with Les's dual exhaust.

When I purchased the Rawtek Les had just started making his own exhaust. He's products have evolved over the last two years and might be the best in the market.

He has a one stop shop as far as tuning and parts. He's a great guy to work with and reasonable.

GL
J

Imortl

TDI
jetta
09 Jetta TDI automatic... I just did (over the weekend) the Stage 2 with DSG tune, DPF & EGR delete... turbo back to cat delete from there I used the OEM exhaust. pretty much stock sounding with a little more turbo whistle... :D

VERY happy with the results so far first day to work 51.4MPG +5 improvement. Performance increase is notably good definitely awakened it... Very happy with the quality of the Downpipe kit... Right up there with Rawtek in my opinion... I have some good pics if you interested...

this setup sounds perfect for me, can i get les at diesel dubs contact info or link to website?

Imortl

TDI
jetta

I would be very happy with over 50 mpg too, are you averaging that good? Also what was your total price of everything including the pcm tuning?