Stage 2 Malone with Straight Pipe by Diesel Dubs

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
So I'm going to get my car re-tuned on Wed by Arlos in Phoenix. Removing my APR tune on Tuesday.

Gonna do a DPF delete with full Diesel Dubs exhaust all the way back with a Malone Stage 2. Here's my question though...well, 2 anyway.

1. I'm DSG, and it will be tuned as well, obviously. How much can it handle? I'm aggressive driver in most cases.
2. Turbo is stock, will I have any issues or should I do the 1.5 tune?
3. Boost Gauge recommended?

I looked around, but didn't find many specifics, hence the post.

Car is a 2012 Golf.

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
I'm not an expert but I have an 11 golf TDI 6spd manual with stock exhaust and a stage 2 tune. Everything is fine stock. With the exhaust delete you need to specify to have regens and egr deleted in the tune. And I think its important to get the additional dsg tune through Malone. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a boost gauge although I don't. Good luck with the exhaust. I live in new York and have to plug in for emissions testing. So far I don't see anyway I can get through obd testing with a straight pipe and tune. :( hopefully someone comes up with a way to do it soon before my car is rotted to hell underneath.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Yea, I'm not due for 4 years in AZ. Worst case, I pop back on the stock cat when the time comes. According to the shop, they have someone going through emissions with the same setup, so we'll see what passes.

US needs to learn from Europe and quit the emissions crap lol.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
I am not sure how much the DSG can handle, but I'm fairly certain you can use it with the stage 2 tune, on the Malone site it says the TDI cup race cars were all DSG with 368ft/lb tune. You will just need a DSG tune along with the stage 2 tune.

The stock turbo is good for up to stage 2.

Boost gauge is not required, I installed mine more for a fun factor rather than actual vital information. The tune itself only adds a few psi boost pressure.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I am not sure how much the DSG can handle, but I'm fairly certain you can use it with the stage 2 tune, on the Malone site it says the TDI cup race cars were all DSG with 368ft/lb tune. You will just need a DSG tune along with the stage 2 tune.

The stock turbo is good for up to stage 2.

Boost gauge is not required, I installed mine more for a fun factor rather than actual vital information. The tune itself only adds a few psi boost pressure.
Thanks! This is what I thought, but I wanted to ask to be sure. All I know is the car's gonna sound like a tractor/truck/jet/turbine lol. Worry about emissions when the time comes lol

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
I have obd test in NY every year lol. Not practical to swap pipes 2 times a year. Tunes would have to be changed also so regen and egr function too.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I have obd test in NY every year lol. Not practical to swap pipes 2 times a year. Tunes would have to be changed also so regen and egr function too.

Yea. Hopefully I can find a way around when the time comes. Time to get a new bill passed! No more diesel emissions!

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
Diesels used to be exempt in NY until July 1 2012. Now weight code 1 has to plug in only. All the 3/4 ton and up diesel trucks are weight code 2 & 3 are exempt still. Its such bull. The only thing affected is VW diesel cars. 1997 and newer. So all these people who have been running for years with egr or anything else all of a sudden NY just says screw you change it back.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
the dsg is capable of handling a great deal of power, some say more then a manual so it will be fine.

as for boost gauge im going with a banks iq...little pricy but its a full gauge cluster, mini computer and gps.

It will keep an eye on egts, boost, temps ect and looks real nice and no holes in the fire wall or anything.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
Diesels used to be exempt in NY until July 1 2012. Now weight code 1 has to plug in only. All the 3/4 ton and up diesel trucks are weight code 2 & 3 are exempt still. Its such bull. The only thing affected is VW diesel cars. 1997 and newer. So all these people who have been running for years with egr or anything else all of a sudden NY just says screw you change it back.

If you have obd only testing it should still pass as long as the readiness codes are set, I know Malone has been working on it but I don't know for sure if all the readiness codes are set.

Obd testing is fairly easy to fool, the person plugging in the car just looks for the codes and doesn't inspect for mods. A properly tuned ecu won't set any emissions codes.... So as long as those older tdis running egr deletes are tuned right they'll still pass. Malone can also tune the ecu to retain the egr function and you can run a stage 2 tune with the dpf still... It just won't perform active regens and will require driving more for passive regens

A guy I work with has a 1999 vette, no cats, heavily modded and at idle it stinks like 1969 vette but it still passes the obd test...

*this is for informational purposes only and modifying emissions systems is illegal for on highway use... :rolleyes:

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
If you have obd only testing it should still pass as long as the readiness codes are set, I know Malone has been working on it but I don't know for sure if all the readiness codes are set.

Obd testing is fairly easy to fool, the person plugging in the car just looks for the codes and doesn't inspect for mods. A properly tuned ecu won't set any emissions codes.... So as long as those older tdis running egr deletes are tuned right they'll still pass. Malone can also tune the ecu to retain the egr function and you can run a stage 2 tune with the dpf still... It just won't perform active regens and will require driving more for passive regens

A guy I work with has a 1999 vette, no cats, heavily modded and at idle it stinks like 1969 vette but it still passes the obd test...

*this is for informational purposes only and modifying emissions systems is illegal for on highway use... :rolleyes:
Stage 2 does not disable regens you specify if you have a dpf still or not. And did I mention I am a nys inspector? I run a shop with my grampa we don't look for codes. The state computer does. And from what I've read with the tune a check engine light will not set but the monitors will be stuck on not ready which would not pass. I'm not 100 percent on that part but I'm not straight piping my car until I am. I feel as tho we kinda hijacked this thread but its kinda relevant to what the op posted about so I guess we are OK.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Thanks! This is what I thought, but I wanted to ask to be sure. All I know is the car's gonna sound like a tractor/truck/jet/turbine lol. Worry about emissions when the time comes lol
It's not as loud as you might think. I'm running stage 2 w/ the diesel dubs straight pipe. You definitely notice it when you fire it up and you can hear the turbo right off the bat. It rumbles when your on it, but unless you have your windows down its pretty tame during normal driving.

I ran out of time during my install and had to run to work with only the down pipe in and that was really loud.