Vibration when accelerating at Highway Speeds

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
I don't notice much at any other speeds, but at around 110-130, if I accelerate full i feel more vibration from the wheel then I have noticed before. It feels like a out of balance tire, but it doesnt do it if I cruise. Any ideas?

jqian

Veteran Member
I had same problem years ago after I hit a snow bank. The wheel vibrated above 100km/h. It ended up a broken rim. It might be tire balance or a damaged rim.

Did you hit anything before? maybe a curb?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I just want to say that the title sounds like a bad pr0n movie.

Also, what answer would you like? Let me know and I'll give you that answer and we can move on.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
It is probably wheel balance. I return a Golf under lemon law b/c the idiot dealer could not solve this problem. These cars are vibration sensative. MY old car NEVER vibrated while cruising only in the same situation that you are having.

SOLUTION: Have the wheels road force balanced using a Hunter GSP 9700 wheel balance machine! This thing is awesome, but make sure they use the full features of the machine and do, I repeat, a "road force" balance. Find a shop near you with this machine at this web site:
www.gsp9700.com

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
inner CV?
If it vibrates only under acceleration and not when coasting then this would be my thought too. Anything with the wheels will be there either way.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
It seems the vibration is pretty constant @ roughly the speed mentioned. It looks like I paid for a balance last week, and it appears I got a bad b alance, or no balance at all. If this is the case, I'm no longer happy with this dealer.

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
This was my experience:

I bought 4 new wheels, 4 new tires. They were all balanced using the "standard" method. (Not sure if static or dynamic, guessing static.) They were mounted and I had a vibration that occurred at 60-65 mph, only on acceleration.

Since everything was new, I could get away with mix-matching tires to the front to get the least amount of vibration possible. After a few tries, I finally found an acceptable combination. So then I had 2 pretty good tires in front, 2 really bad tires in rear.

11,000 miles later, they were to be rotated again. (A little late, it slipped my mind.) I took them to the same place that did the mounting/balancing before, and requested that the rears, which I KNEW were bad before, be "Road Force" tested and balanced when rotated.

The diagnosis: both were almost perfectly balanced. The owner did it himself and said both were about a 13, a well balanced tire being 15, as a rule of thumb. I don't know what those numbers mean, and didn't ask. I should have had him test the former front tires, but $$$.

So he didn't re-balance a thing, and just rotated the tires normally. I was confident the vibration would still be there. I tested it on my 30 minute drive home and, lo and behold, the "bad" tires were COMPLETELY vibration free!

Everything was tightened down the same and torqued the same as before, the only thing that changed was 11,000 miles on the tires. Explain that.