Balance shaft delete. How to and part numbers

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I thought you meant an ES2 Norton thumper. you might have used a flat ended tap instead of the standard, although it might be hard to find, or break a tap in the middle and remove the taper, so not having to drill as deep. I would imagine the block is cast steel rather than cast iron, as you would have been able to tell the difference when you were drilling it by the chips.
IIRC back when I did my BSM delete the chips were def of a cast iron nature...at least it drilled like other castings....

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
original front cover would have worked had you had an unbroken one? Congratulations on the great conversion. Theoretically it should have a little more horsepower without the bsm.
yeah the original cover works if yours is undamaged....also I didn't see any reference to modifying the windage tray/drainback funnel...I had to trim the alignment boss on mine flush to fit the BHW block I also added a shadetree boss ... here it is.... maybe unnecessary but it's how I did it :D ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3288766&postcount=6
and ohh yeah...I also forgot to plug the BSM oil feed hole :eek: ...no oil pressure on startup :eek:... lots of assembly lube on the crank and cam helped save the engine, ended up plugging the passage from the top through the oil filter housing....driven over 15k miles so far and the vibes are quite pleasureable :D although the swap has a completely different mounting system using dodge truck mounts ...

Last edited:

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI
is there a full consensus on using a brass pipe pipe plug vs steel? I always thought brass expands more when heated than steel?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
try buying an 1/8 npt plug with alan key flush head that isn't brass.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a block off plate made for these, uses the existing small bolt from the old BS assembly. Eager to try it out, we are going to use one on a coworker's Passat here soon.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have a block off plate made for these, uses the existing small bolt from the old BS assembly. Eager to try it out, we are going to use one on a coworker's Passat here soon.
OH, want to sell one? I am about to perform a delete next week.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
well there seem to be a few deletes completed so we should hear how people like the results soon. Its a way to beat vag out of a profit they make on the gear bsm's.

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI
Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The red should be sufficient. if you are really anal about it, you could stake it after its installed

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
well there seem to be a few deletes completed so we should hear how people like the results soon. Its a way to beat vag out of a profit they make on the gear bsm's.
I'm loving mine so far. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'm definitely recommending the delete from now on to customers.

just waiting for my delete parts to come in from vw dealer. apparently vwoa is out of brm gears and chains..... waiting for a shipment from germany.

Im still not to comfortable with jb welding the pipe plug.... im leaning towards using a thread sealer like this http://www.permatex.com/products/au..._Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant.htm

or red high temp threadlocker......

what do you think?
Just use any teflon thread tape, liquid thread sealant, loctite, silicone, etc. In all reality I don't even think a thread sealant is that necessary. Pipe threads are self sealing by design and as long as you get the plug really tight, it's not going to back out on its own or leak enough to drop more than a couple hundredths of a psi.

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
Im still not to comfortable with jb welding the pipe plug.... im leaning towards using a thread sealer like this http://www.permatex.com/products/au..._Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant.htm
what do you think?
The permatx thread seal is a decent product. I use it with head studs sometimes. I've had teflon/tape & silicone products end up in the oil pump before.

I have also had an oil gallery plug vibrate out on another gas engine build and never forgot it. That's when I started using JB on oil plugs by recommendation. It's not unheard of:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_541_big_block_cadillac_v8/photo_09.html

Last edited:

Tang10

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
One step closer to fixing my 2005 Passat.........Bora Parts just sent my delete kit today. I have to drive to the USA to get my parts from a boarder town and then drive 6 hours to Steel Brothers for the actual fix.

Please don't bash me for this comment, but this car is a ***** to fix from my position in the country. We have several local claimed to be VW/TDI expects, but not one of them will take this challenge on.

Wish me well

Jamie

jryan11518

TDI
Passat 2.0 2004
I did not realize it with the parts shortage issue a few months back but it may have been a blessing. Leonard from Wild Rose is in the process of deleting my BS. Turns out there were some other issues that he is correcting also. Anyone in the San Diego area with TDI issues, drive to Whittier you will be happy. Constantly running over things on the freeway. (cone, pallet, large piece of channel iron). I drove for years avoiding these things, but the last few months it seems I have hit everything but the kitchen sink.
Anyway I can not wait to get it back and run her up to 300k.
As a side note, I got spoiled driving my old Passat and was not even aware of it. I have been driving newer 2012-2013 MB replacements for the past week. They are nice, but mileage estimates are all truly BS. I am ready for my old Passat back thank you.

Tang10

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Update:

I dropped my car off on June 22 with Jerome from Steel Bros.......hope it goes well Jerome.

See you next week

Jamie

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Just installed my first delete kit. It all went well, and the increase in vibrations is not too bad.

Tang10

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Update.....Fixed!

Just got the car back from Steel Brothers and it is running perfect with the delete kit installed.

I can not say enough about Jerome and the boys from Steel Brothers. Jerome took me to the back of the shop and showed me all my old parts, what other old part he replaced, and a great explanation on how the job went.

I walked away from the experience saying to myself this was a long haul trying to fix this car, but it ended on very high note.

Link to youtube video of car run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8whjCe1sMQ

Thanks again Jerome!

Jamie

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Looks like this may be the ONLY option right now, as the new geared type parts are on national indefinite backorder. :(

I have heard that all the failures happening in Europe now have caused an issue with getting parts out of Germany.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Looks like this may be the ONLY option right now, as the new geared type parts are on national indefinite backorder. :(

I have heard that all the failures happening in Europe now have caused an issue with getting parts out of Germany.
Wow.

I tip my hat off to Whitbread and BioChoppers in pioneering this conversion. A lot of people would just have a boat anchor in their engine bay indefinitely.

WYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon
Have you had a chance to perform a delete yet, Brian? I seem to remember a fellow employee wanting to do this? Impressions?

oilhammer

TDI
We are still waiting for the bits to show up to do this one. It is also getting a valve job (victim of an ignored alternator pulley) so it may be a little while yet. We just got the cam, lifters, valves, etc. today.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
My $.02 worth. Just finished my GLX Gasser to TDI AND manual tranny conversion with the BSM delete so I have a ton of variables I am trying to decipher. It starts and runs fine. Vibrations are no more than BSM at idle. Revs quicker than with a BSM. So far the jury is out for my opinion, as I am getting used to it with more vibrations above 2500 RPM as I wind out the gears. As most of the highway cruise stays below 2500 RPM, this may or may not be a real issue. If I were to describe it, it feels like it has hard (or race) motor mounts. It will not be mistaken for a Lexus anytime soon!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
My hiway rpms are at 2400, so it may not be much of problem.
I wonder if it will stress the alternator pulley more than with a BS and cause it to fail earlier than usual.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
old/tired/bad belts probably stress the alt pulley more than anything else. the early ones apparently were all crap. I sort of predicted that the geared balance shaft modules would not be available in the long term and now it seems that this latest backorder may be a sign of that. At least short blocks with them installed are still available, but that may change as well. The delete may be the only option for those with chains, other than the sb.

thekrauthouse

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
98 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta, 83 Jetta coupe, 85 Jetta coupe
Fixing to start this and a cam replacement on a customer's car when the parts get in.

Last edited: