Repaired leaking tandem pump

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
I could use some technical assistance from anyone who's done this.

I am planning a job on my son's 2005 wagon, which is leaking coolant passenger side near the firewall. I haven't looked at it yet, but expect to replace coolant flange, coolant sensor, and tandem pump gasket if it looks like it needs it.

My question is, can the pump gasket be changed without disconnecting the fuel lines? Is there enough room to do it that way? Also, some have put a thin coat of sealant on the gasket, is that necessary?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you’re leaking coolant and it accumulating on top of the transmission it’s probably coolant flange or sensor related.

Replacing the tandem pump gasket is a fairly simple job and can be done without disconnecting the fuel lines. No sealant will be necessary if using a new gasket.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I can't see any way of changing the coolant flange, easily and proficiently, without pulling out the tandem pump

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I can get them out, BUT, the cause of the leaking coolant flange is often from an oil or fuel leak from the tandem pump anyway, so...

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My 150 dollar ebay tandem pump is still going strong.
Ive heard that these cars will still run if the in tank pump quits but after a 273 relay died i found mine wont.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Replaced coolant flange yesterday...tandem pump was taken completely off, about the only way to do it I think. My thoughts

Kind of a two man job, need the young guy to sit on the motor or lean way over while the older guy works the hose clamp and hands the right tool when needed, hohoho.

We found a degraded flange mating surface and a flabby O-ring, like most others have.

We didn't have a suction bottle, but clamped fuel lines and it started on the fourth crank.

We didn't break anything, it could have been so much worse!

Oilhammer and Mogolf, thank you for the write ups and comments through the years, without yous, I might be in a Honda...but this job was a great bonding experience, so we got that going for us.

You guys who do this daily, you absolutely deserve to get paid!!!!