Dealer Oil Change - Castrol Syntec 5W30 - ZVW 352 167 Q

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I just had an oil change done at the dealer.

They used:

Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic 5W30
ZVW 352 167 Q

I just want to make sure this is good oil to use in this engine before I do too much driving since I've read so many horror stories about dealers using the wrong oil. I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI.

Thanks all!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Syntec 5W30 doesn't meet basic TDi requirements unless this is a new product.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If this is the product we're discussing, it's clearly not Syntec.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I didn't see the oil bottle. The receipt says Syntec and I asked the Service guy for more information and he said it is the same 5W30 Castrol Syntec that they always use when someone wants synthetic oil.

Could you inform me what specific specs the oil for an 01 should meet so I have something to validate a complaint?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
unL33T said:
I didn't see the oil bottle. The receipt says Syntec and I asked the Service guy for more information and he said it is the same 5W30 Castrol Syntec that they always use when someone wants synthetic oil.

Could you inform me what specific specs the oil for an 01 should meet so I have something to validate a complaint?
VW/VAG 505.00. Show him your owner's manual, it's in there.

Syntec 5w40 would be a correct oil, but not Syntec 5w30. Castrol SLX 5w30 like 'dorf has a pic of is good too, it meets 505.00 and 505.01.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unL, it's probably this newer product and they just haven't corrected their description. That SLX product would meet the latest specs which are fine for your car.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Thank you. I will have to go visit them tomorrow with the owner's manual in hand and ask to see one of the bottles.

Edit:
Just read your last post. So you think I should just assume it's fine and forget about it?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unL33T said:
Thank you. I will have to go visit them tomorrow with the owner's manual in hand and ask to see one of the bottles.

Edit:
Just read your last post. So you think I should just assume it's fine and forget about it?
When it comes to a dealer, I'd never give them the benefit of the doubt. Ask to see the bottle unless it's a long drive :)

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Knew this would come in handy someday

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America,

SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5w-30 is formulated for VW vehicles, is a fully
Synthetic Motor Oil and meets the following specs:

* 504 00, 507 00
* ACEA A3/B4, C3

SLX Professional is a branded product only available in North America
through VW Dealerships.

Castrol Consumer Relations

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:47 PM
To: Online customer service
Subject: Castrol USA - Contact Us Form Data
Importance: High

Subject: Castrol USA - Contact Us Form Data

Dear Online customer service,

UNIQUEREFERENCEID : 1691481
DATE : Thu Sep 18 22:25:16 GMT 2008
TITLE : Mr.
FIRST NAME : Peter
LAST NAME :
EMAIL : pete
ADDRESS : 165 xxxxRd.
CITY : Mastic Beach
STATE : NY
ZIP CODE : 11951
LEGAL DISCLAIMER. : YES
CATEGORY : For Me
SUBCATEGORY : Products
PHONE NUMBER : 631-399-xxxx
CONTACTREASON : Inquiry
INQUIRYDETAILS : My new 2009 Jetta TDI has "Castrol" stamped on the
oil fill. I know that the new VW TDI requires VW approved 507 oil.
However, I can not find any information about VW 507 oil on your web site.
In fact, the vehicle selection only goes up to 2007 and there's no TDI
available in your model selection. Do I have Castrol in my engine from the
factory? What weight is it? Will I be able to buy 507 at my local parts
store? Thank you.
CARMAKE : Volkswagen
CARMODEL : Jetta TDI
CARYEAR : 2009

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I Googled the part number (which I should've done already) and it appears to be the SLX so I'm less scared about it now. I'll still go double check tomorrow though. Most likely the description is wrong and the guy just didn't know his oil well enough.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Ok so I went in to talk to them. It turns out they did use the SLX but the guys says they still use Syntec in the description because if they use SLX no one will recognize that it's synthetic oil or something stupid like that.

The parts guy was an *******. I went in and asked if he was sure they used Syntec and not something else. The guy says yes (and looks annoyed at the question) and then I explain that I found the specs for Syntec online and it doesn't meet the 505 spec. He's like, "Are you saying THE INTERNET told you we put the wrong oil in your car?" So I explained that no, but I was confused because I looked up the part number as well and it wasn't Syntec. To that he says, "You looked up the part number on OUR database and saw that it wasn't Syntec?" So again, I say no, I found it online. To this he says, "Oh THE INTERNET..." in a sarcastic voice as if to say that I'm an idiot for telling him information I got online. So I tell him that I found that it was actually a product called SLX which does meet the spec. I explain that I am confused about which one they actually put in the car. Finally the guy admits that it is SLX (which if he should've just said at first I would've just said ok, thanks and left) but they use the name Syntec because otherwise their customers won't realize they used synthetic oil. So rather than just tell me at first it was a different name, the parts guy had to treat me like an idiot before telling me I was right anyway (he still thinks I'm an idiot though). I apologized for the inconvenience and explained that I was just worried because I had read a few stories online about people getting the wrong oil in their TDI's, even from the dealerships. The parts guy replied with, "Oh yeah, the stealerships. Sure. We know what oil goes in your car."

After that fiasco I'm going to try to avoid going there. Not only is that guy a prick both in person and on the phone but even the receptionist sounds like she wants me to die every time I call. There's much friendlier service at some of the local shops but unfortunately I can't find one in this area that specializes in VW's other than the dealer. Stupid work making me relocate for weekdays for training. That was Jack MacDonell Motor Sales Ltd in Cornwall, Ontario if anyone is curious to know.

One good thing about them though is that their prices are quite reasonable for a dealership. I had my rear axle bushings replaced and they quoted lower than the local shop back home and MUCH lower than my local dealer and the actual cost was about $20 below the quote (and the quote wasn't including taxes, final cost was). The quality of the work seems good too. If it wasn't for the prick parts guy I would definitely be planning on having more work done with them. I was also kind of annoyed that they didn't call me when the car was done but that was minor to me.

Off topic... The car feels so much better now with the new bushings. I like the Reds even more. On Saturday I'll do the control arm bushings and then to figure out why my steering wheel is so crooked after getting the bushings done...

dlojetta

TDI
2009 Sedan
Dealer tried to sale me some of the of the SLX for my 09 TDI and I refused to buy it since it does not have the 507 spec on the bottle. He then indicated that he would order some of the 507 for me, after I gave him the part number that has been listed on this website.

dlojetta

TDI
2009 Sedan
Dealer tried to sale me some of the of the SLX for my 09 TDI and I refused to buy it since it does not have the 507 spec on the bottle. He then indicated that he would order some of the 507 for me, after I gave him the part number that has been listed on this website.

damacas

TDI
09 Jetta
Slx 507?

dlojetta said:
From what RtB posted it would seem that Castorl SLX is 507 compliant oil. Is that not the case?

Just bought my first TDi, an '09, and I want to put the right oil in. I'm finding this whole VW507 vs others thing a little confusing :confused:

dlojetta

TDI
2009 Sedan
From what Castrol said in the email it is fine. However, the back of the bottle list the current 505.01 but not the 507. I asked about GVW 052 195 M3 LONGLIFE 3 and he reseached it. It is for the 2009 Passat diesel that want be on the market here. However, he did verify that it is 507 approved and is ordering a couple of cases so I can have my oil changes for free with a 507 oil. I am glad he was willing to listen because he was insistant about using the SLX.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Man in reading this thread it appears that many stealerships are still just plain old IGNORANT about the specs for diesels. I am so relieved that my dealer knows the number nomenclature right off the bat and knows their stuff. None the less I still will change my own oil once warranty is bye bye.

Last edited:

damacas

TDI
09 Jetta
Still confused

dlojetta said:
From what Castrol said in the email it is fine. However, the back of the bottle list the current 505.01 but not the 507. I asked about GVW 052 195 M3 LONGLIFE 3 and he reseached it. It is for the 2009 Passat diesel that want be on the market here. However, he did verify that it is 507 approved and is ordering a couple of cases so I can have my oil changes for free with a 507 oil. I am glad he was willing to listen because he was insistant about using the SLX.
Sorry if I am being obtuse, but, from your response I'm still not sure. Seems to me you are saying:

• Dealer wanted to use Castrol SLX
  • You looked at the bottle and did not see 507
  • You "confronted" the dealer
  • Research was done on GVW 052 195 M3 Longlife 3 (whatever that is, but I assume it's oil, only available from VW?)
  • You and the dealer agreed to use the Longlife 3 for your '09 Passat rather than Castrol SLX to be sure it is 507 compliant
As I said earlier, I am new to the TDi's not to mention the '09 clean diesel. I have been driving diesels for 20years, but nothing this "advanced" or sensitive, so I want to have my ducks in a row. Based on your experinence I should be looking for this Longlife 3, or at least something that lists 507 ON THE BOTTLE.

Have I got this correct :confused:

saaber

TDI
none, want polo diesel (not in usa yet)
I saw the post above that said this dealer uses this oil for anyone that WANTS synthetic, as if it is an unusual request. I wonder if they are still putting dino in most of the cars! And that arrogant attitude and unwillingness to learn on their part just makes it worse.

Stay away from dealers and change your own oil or use a vw indy shop. A volkswagen that never sees the dealer is a happy volkswagen.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, a lot of these people just don't get it. They don't understand the most basic requirements of the products they sell. Many are still using bulk oil in any car that comes thru the door.:(

saaber said:
I wonder if they are still putting dino in most of the cars! And that arrogant attitude and unwillingness to learn on their part just makes it worse.

Stay away from dealers and change your own oil or use a vw indy shop. A volkswagen that never sees the dealer is a happy volkswagen.
You got that straight, bro-tha!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
damacas said:
Based on your experinence I should be looking for this Longlife 3, or at least something that lists 507 ON THE BOTTLE.

Have I got this correct :confused:
This is correct for your 2009. 507 on the bottle, nothing else. The Longlife 3 you referred to is/should be available at dealers. Other 507 oils are available online and from our vendors here as well. You can't walk into most stores and find them on the shelf.

damacas

TDI
09 Jetta
thanks

Lightflyer1 said:
This is correct for your 2009. 507 on the bottle, nothing else. The Longlife 3 you referred to is/should be available at dealers. Other 507 oils are available online and from our vendors here as well. You can't walk into most stores and find them on the shelf.
Thanks for clarifying!

Now to find the dang oil!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I just went through the same thing with the dealer today. I picked up my registration for the '09 so I went to parts to pick up a bottle to keep in the trunk. The bottle had 505.01 on the back, but not 507.00 or 504.00. Parts guy said they've been using it in all the diesels since 2004, I told him I'd get back to him. The bottle was Castrol SLX 5W30

Last edited:

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
saaber said:
I saw the post above that said this dealer uses this oil for anyone that WANTS synthetic, as if it is an unusual request. I wonder if they are still putting dino in most of the cars! And that arrogant attitude and unwillingness to learn on their part just makes it worse.

I would normally do my own but I've been living out of what is essentially a hotel and I don't think they'd appreciate me doing automotive work in the parking lot.

I also wanted a "proper" change from the bottom rather than just using an extractor since I just had the head replaced. If only I could find some other VW shops in this area :(

IBWALT

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
El Dobro said:
I just went through the same thing with the dealer today. I picked up my registration for the '09 so I went to parts to pick up a bottle to keep in the trunk. The bottle had 505.01 on the back, but not 507.00 or 504.00. Parts guy said they've been using it in all the diesels since 2004, I told him I'd get back to him. The bottle was Castrol SLX 5W30
It sounds like your dealer gave you the Castrol SLX professional OE. It is 505.01 not 504/507 and comes in a black bottle. Go back to the parts guy and tell him you want the Castrol SLX long life 3. It is in a gold colored bottle and it is 504/507 (if you look on the back it is in bold letters on a black background). Tell the parts guy he is lucky you did not put the OE in your car or they would be buying you a new motor. :D

Walt

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I handed the oil back to parts guy, figuring he was wrong. He said they only had two different oils, the stuff he showed me and one he said was for gas engines. I guess I won't be going back for VW's "Carefree Maintenance" after all.

damacas

TDI
09 Jetta
Valuable thread!

I was in the dealership today, and requested a bottle of oil for my 1 week old '09 Jetta TDI. Brought out a bottle of the Castrol SLE OE, I looked at the back and said: "It doesn't say it is VW507 compliant" The parts guy said "What year is this for"
"A 2009, the manual was quite prescriptive about 507"
"Just a minute"
About a minute later, out came the Castrol LL3, which I recognized from the photo posted above.

Thanks for help arm us with the correct information.

Very customer focussed dealer so far.

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
IBWALT said:
It sounds like your dealer gave you the Castrol SLX professional OE. It is 505.01 not 504/507 and comes in a black bottle. Go back to the parts guy and tell him you want the Castrol SLX long life 3. It is in a gold colored bottle and it is 504/507 (if you look on the back it is in bold letters on a black background). Tell the parts guy he is lucky you did not put the OE in your car or they would be buying you a new motor. :D

Walt
I have an 06 Jetta TDI. My last oil change shows ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP 5W30 VW50501 OIL. Have not looked at the manual lately, is this not the correct oil for my 06 model??