'98 TDI $2500 in St. Louis

AthensSlim

TDI
TDI: Still looking ('86 Golf Diesel)
Re: \'98 TDI $2500 in St. Louis

I'd personally be worried about being a TDI from someone who says the "ignition" needs fixed....I suppose he's referring to the glow plugs?

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a

maybe... but if I were in the area, for $2500, if the dings in the fenders is all that needs fixed, I'd at least look!

diggindiesel

TDI
99 Jetta

I talked to him-the headlights and AC only work when you hold the brights switch on! He is the original owner who has done no maintenance except oil changes-sounded like a fixer upper.

diggindiesel

TDI
99 Jetta

Brights switch-you know, the turn signal that you pull to turn on the highbeams. Might be an easy fix or might be an electrical nightmare. Over 100k and no maintenance-maybe more of a cubic circonium in the rough. He was asking 2900 and dropped, so people weren't fighting over it. I wasn't clear-we traded e-mails-I didn't actually speak to him.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Sounds like it could be the ignition switch. The ignition switches on these cars were junk. I have a '98 Jetta (gas), and all kinds of strange things were happening, like the brake light coming on by itself, the headlights going out, the AC quitting, etc... I replaced the ignition switch, and all was well. Either switch (ignition or turn signal/high beam) will require pulling the steering wheel, and the sleeve behind it. With the right puller, it's easy. Without it, it's a nightmare. The ignition switch is about $45. If you "jiggle" the ignition switch with the ignition on, and the problem goes away, you've found the problem. This worked for me.

Hope this helps.