Balance shaft gear bolts - torque values...

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Hi, my 05 wagon is in the shop now having the balance shaft module upgraded to the geared system. I have been reading lots on here about this issue, including the how-to pdf document. In the pdf it states that the torque value for the balance shaft gear bolts is 20 Nm (15 ft.lbs.) + 1/4 turn.

My mechanic seemed to think that was a bit high for a bolt of that size - just looking for confirmation on whether 15 ft.lbs. (+ 1/4 turn) is correct for those bolts?

Thanks for all the great information on this site!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If MOGolf and oilhammer's instructions say 20 Nm + ¼ turn, that's what it is. Don't question their experience. Just my 2¢...

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
I'm not questioning their experience, but rather just verifying it's not a typo or whatever...... just double checking everything - better safe than sorry. "measure twice, cut once" as the saying goes....

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm not questioning their experience, but rather just verifying it's not a typo or whatever...... just double checking everything - better safe than sorry. "measure twice, cut once" as the saying goes....
Understood. That is the correct value. Good luck!

Edit: Just checked the Bentley and that is the same torque value for the chain sprocket as originally installed.

Last edited:

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Hi, my 05 wagon is in the shop now having the balance shaft module upgraded to the geared system. I have been reading lots on here about this issue, including the how-to pdf document. In the pdf it states that the torque value for the balance shaft gear bolts is 20 Nm (15 ft.lbs.) + 1/4 turn.

My mechanic seemed to think that was a bit high for a bolt of that size - just looking for confirmation on whether 15 ft.lbs. (+ 1/4 turn) is correct for those bolts?

Thanks for all the great information on this site!
Make dam sure that idler gear is tapped into place real tight with hardwood stick and hammer before you do the final torque
Just pushing on it while tightening wont work and will lead to failure !