Coolant temp goes down? thought it was normal....

memagil

TDI
thought it was just a diesel...Here is the senario..
When cold (under 20 degree F) i'll be on the highway getting heat no problem, then run into an accident or something tying up traffic....so i sit there idling, with the heat on fan @ <#3. And i watch the temp gauge go down and down....Do i have a stuck thermostat? Or is this normal behavior...i just always have had a pair of hats and gloves in the car, for these times.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
It is normal, turn the fan to a lower speed and it will help. I have a winter front on mine, which helps some[Dieseltwo]

Oryx

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a 2003 Golf TDI.
[ QUOTE ]
thought it was just a diesel...Here is the senario..
When cold (under 20 degree F) i'll be on the highway getting heat no problem, then run into an accident or something tying up traffic....so i sit there idling, with the heat on fan @ <#3. And i watch the temp gauge go down and down....Do i have a stuck thermostat? Or is this normal behavior...i just always have had a pair of hats and gloves in the car, for these times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it's normal, Diesels don't generate a lot of heat when idling(We have the same problem with our military trucks and that's why we have a pull a knob to adjust the idle speed so the engine can stay "warm"). Loss of heat is the reason i installed a zerostart coolant heater. The temp still goes down when i hit traffic but atleast the interior is warm and i can always put the air intake to "RECIRC" to keep it warm for awhile. You can also push the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal at the same time to keep a steady 1200 idle which helps when you're stopped.