Another New 2013 Passat TDI

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
Hello All, Just introducing myself to the forum.

First, vital statistics:
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/sunroof
Platinum Grey Metallic
Titan Black Interior
No good photos as of yet. Just haven't had a good moment with the crap weather.

I came about this wonderful vehicle in a roundabout way. It is my fourth VW, but first TDI. When the car buying decisions started in mid-summer this year I was determined not to get another VW if I could avoid it. Not because they haven't treated me well (they have), but because it seemed time to try something different. So, I settled on and was very excited about the new Fusion, even after driving the Jetta TDI (didn't drive the Passat back then). Short story, I ordered the Fusion in mid-August, didn't even get a VIN until mid-November and as of this moment the vehicle is still sitting in Mexico in purgatory. I'm sure you've all heard and laughed at the absolute mess the 1.6L turbo has been for Ford and that is what put me back in the market.

Since the Jetta seemed too cramped, even though it is bigger than either my '97 or '00 were, I put myself behind the wheel of a Passat to test drive. When I left the dealership that evening I was 70% sure I'd stick with the Fusion and the salesman never pushed, gave me his rock bottom number (which for the savvy buyers is pretty much the same number) and just said, "When you're ready I'll be here." It nagged on me for a few days, so I did a lot of research, which of course lead me here, and I finally snapped out of the denial and gladly accepted the Passat TDI was the right car for me. When I let the salesman know exactly the configuration I wanted he called back in 5-minutes to say the car would be on his lot the next morning.

So here I am as a happy new owner and member of the Passat TDI club as well as another confirmation that the MPG ratings are not only right, but quite low. The word from Fusion owners is they're very unhappy with their real world numbers vs. the EPA ratings. Could be breaking in issues, but I don't have to worry about that now. On my 16-mile drive this morning alone I ended with 45.9 MPG and that included a couple miles of lights. :)

Last edited:

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Congrats and welcome! It sounds like you bought for all the right reasons, many of the same ones I bought for. My brother-in-law was also touting the Fusion as the best option out there now; glad to hear another perspective. I think the Passat TDI is unique in the value equation it presents.

Looking forward to many happy miles!

Mmhs19

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2012 Passat TDI SEL (sold)
Congrats and welcome. I've owned two Passat TDIs now; I love(d) them both. The Fusion is sexy, the new Altima is cool, but the Passat is just right.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't let the little short drives fool you though. Most track tank averages here. My current short 5 mile 55 mph commute kills my average, even though some other short legs show much higher. Welcome to the club!

Last edited:

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
Don't let the little short drives fool you though. Most track tank averages here. My current short 5 mile 55 mph commute kills my average, even though some other short legs show much higher. Welcome to the club!
Yeah, I've got it tracked in Fuelly too. There's just nothing to report at the moment since there are no fill-ups, yet. :) I'll put it in the signature once that occurs.

What's killing my average right now are other drivers. The weekday commute hasn't been kind to the overall average - 38 for the tank as of now. I'm easily getting 45+ on the highway during non-heavy periods, but the evening commute home is brutal, even with working it good. The mornings are heavy, too, but never stop and go - just slowdown and go - and 42 is easily attainable. It's just coming home that's the kicker.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
Congrats! I have a short "commute" to the golf course. It is 17 miles, 1 stop sign, 1 stop light and speed limit of 55 MPH. I can easily get my trip consumption read out between 49 and 51 MPG. Although those numbers are not the actual MPG, it is only off by a little.