Oil Leak from front of engine

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Hi everyone,
Been searching for the last few days in this forum (as well as a few others) for my specific problem but I don't think I've found my exact case...

I noticed some oil on the ground where my wife usually parks her Jetta (2005.5 w/ about 100k by the way). I checked the oil level but it was still reading near full on the dipstick. I had done an oil change about a week or so prior to noticing the oil so I inspected the oil filter cap area for leaks. I found that the o-ring had been pinched and cut so I figured that this was the problem. After replacing it, I let the car run for a while while watching that area for leaks and didn't see anything after about 5-10 min. That evening I noticed another small pool of oil, which makes me question if that was the "only" problem.

I've also noticed some oil on the lower rear part of the fan near what I think is an electrical connection. I've read a few times that there's an oil cooler in that general area but didn't see anywhere that it might be leaking onto that spot. Can anyone shed any light on that for me? I've noticed this "leak" for the last year or so but have been monitoring the oil level and there isn't really any noticeable drop in level between oil changes.

Either way, if the oil filter o-ring leak has been fixed, then this other leak has gotten worse and I need to know exactly what's involved...

Thanks!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I had the 20K oil change done on my Golf recently. I found in leaking oil from the front. Took it back and they said it was a problem with the O-ring, which they "fixed". The next day it seemed to be leaking worse, so took it back again. It was still the O-ring. They said they had a bad batch. I guess it's easy to get the O-ring wrong.

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Hm...
I suppose it could still be the o-ring but I made extra sure that it was seated properly and no leaking before closing the hood after the oil change... I'll check again though.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I had the 20K oil change done on my Golf recently. I found in leaking oil from the front. Took it back and they said it was a problem with the O-ring, which they "fixed". The next day it seemed to be leaking worse, so took it back again. It was still the O-ring. They said they had a bad batch. I guess it's easy to get the O-ring wrong.
wow so much vagueness it'll make your head spin :eek:Wwhich o-ring?

the IC is known to "weap" oil very common, some dealers shrug it off some replace the o-ring, it's easy to spot where it comes from on the belly pan.

If it's an issue with the oil heat exchanger, located directly under the oil filter housing, you'll clearly see the oil on the belly pan.

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
i had seen that post in my earlier searching. i'm guessing he was referring to the same one I had the problem with. but yah, not too clear.

just so we're on the same page, what is the IC you're referring to? intercooler?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do you mean at the front of the car or the front of the engine which is the end of the engine with the alternator on it?

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think he's referring to the front of the car since that's what I had mentioned in my post.