Replace entire turbo unit?

jettafuel

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My 2003 Jetta TDI station wagon is stranded in Erie, Pennsylvania, where a VW mechanic says that the turbo diaphragm has gone and it needs an entire turbo unit. It has 110,000 miles on it (all mine) and I intend to keep this car for a very very long time -- so I always err on the side of caution with repairs and maintenance.

My non-technical, TDI-loving self would appreciate any advice... how do I know whether it's really necessary to replace the whole unit?

A little background: The car lost power on I-79 and the MIL light came on, and it was towed from that point so no major oil loss or engine damage happened.

[And if anyone can recommend a good, inexpensive transport service that can get my car back to me in Florida once it's repaired, I would appreciate it.]

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Don't know any good mechanics in Erie area. Dennis Marquette is in Sunbury, but 277 miles away.

As for getting it home. Make an offer here. Fuel + a few $$ + 1 way ticket home for someone to drive it to you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You need the vane actuator. Probably no need to replace the turbo. It's not clear to me if the car's at a dealer or not. If so, the dealer should be able to source the part, albeit at a higher price. If it's at an independent mechanic they should be able to get one. It's relatively easy to install, takes 15-20 minutes, if things cooperate.

jettafuel

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Unfortunately, yes. It's a long and stressful involving my teenage sons being stranded with our formerly ultra-reliable Jetta (sad face) and me doing my best from a distance... I'm certainly interested in any independent mechanic recommendations anyone can make. I couldn't find any via web searches or the recommendations of two different towtruck drivers and the B&B where my sons wound up staying that night.

Meanwhile, first thing Monday I'll pressure the dealer about the vane actuator.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry your family is tied up. The car should run, although not have any power, and probably make a lot of black smoke. Any other symptoms?

Let me know if I can help you out here. We've sold actuators to dealers who couldn't get them. I'm not trying to pressure you in any way, but if we can help give me a call Monday AM and we'll see what we can do. Feel free to PM me here as well.

Bruce, where is MoGolf located? If he's near Cleveland (which is what I thought) it isn't that far away. I wonder if he has an actuator kicking around.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Glen is East of Columbus, OH. 241 miles away. I'm reasonably sure he has the actuators. Not sure of availability as his work has been kicking his tokus.