BAD DOOR LATCH ???? CALL VW 800-822-8987 And Document Problem

gus54rz

TDI
2002 beetle TDI automatic
This is a safety issue and should be a mandatory recall. When the latch fails the warning lite on the door does not lite up , Its there to warn other cars your opening your door at nite. If yours isn't working CALL 800-822-8987

dr.zed

Veteran Member
I would have normally ignored this post, but I thought I'd call up instead.

The guy on the other end was very helpful and appreciated my call. He said that they have not heard many people calling in about this and based on my explanation (my door thinks it is closed all the time) it is helpful I documented it with him.

He said the more people that let them know the more likely it will be looked into as a recall and safety issue and reimbursement or repair free of charge would happen.

He seemed like he really wanted to help and make sure I was happy. This call was worth the time. If more people exhibit this issue, they should call.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Replaced the drivers door latch on my 99 Mark4 at about 120k miles. Did it myself for about $80 for the latch from the dealers.

Found out later that there are 2 micro switches in the latch and one or the other will fail. My latch thought that it was already locked and would not lock the drivers door sometimes with the remote. I would have to lock the drivers door with the key.

Either on this forum or on VWVORTEX, someone posted that they were able to replace just the micro switches in the latch for something like $20.

I don't think I'd call it a safety issue. At night it's best to assume other drivers don't see you and wait for them to pass before opening the door anyway. At no time did the latch unlatch by its self and allow the door to open. Except for the crappy micro switches, the design seems to be pretty reliable.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Ol'Rattler said:
I don't think I'd call it a safety issue. ...
LOL:D

You have children? I lost my driver's side door sensor at 45,000 miles ...but lived with unlocking the car in the darkness, no interior lights while hunting for the keys ....feeling my way to the ignition before the alarm reset with me in the driver's seat.

Then....

I lost my left rear door switch. It would not lock or "catch" closed. I used a seat belt to hold it shut for 4 months before I had it repaired. Try that for 4 months? A door that won't close because of a cheap micro switch on a car that less then 5 years old.

The two door OEM switches and labour cost me $600.00.

My choice was having the rear door open and a child left out on the road way or praying a safety belt wrapped around a door handle could hold the door shut.

You're right ....not a safety issue at all.:D

LOL

BrianCT

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
This is clearly a VW defect and in my opinion a scandal that is all too similar to the coil packs on the 1.8 tubos, window clips, relay 109 etc.

If VW had any respect for it's customers they would issue a recall today.

And yes, I have been forced to replace my door switches on our 04 pd jetta:mad:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
BrianCT,

I stand corrected then. What you described is definatly a safety issue.

When mine failed it was merely an inconvenience. It was only on the drivers door and the door still function normally except you couldn't lock it sometimes with the remote..................

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Ol'Rattler said:
BrianCT,

I stand corrected then. What you described is definitely a safety issue.
No issue on your account; I understood where you were going on the comment and were correct. The door jumper courtesy lamp is not a safety issue, nor an interior light. I use the driver's door and the left rear door about 25 times a day, slamming both equally shut. I think that switch breaks from the pure force of the slam shut. *german* "voomp!"

But let me tell you about a drive way for 4 months and when children needed to go somewhere ...we moved cars back and forth because of that rear door not closing. It psyuked!:D Over at whoretex the threads on bad door locks are like this, "I changed my oil and filtre, wash and waxed the car and picked up Sealed Sub-Subminiature Snap-Action Switches to repair my doors that would not shut.":D

edit for new photos

Last edited:

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
your problem is that you have defective blue and red arrows pointed at the failed solder joints.. lol

what years are affected by the failing micro switches??

BrianCT said:
No issue on your account; I understood where you were going on the comment and were correct. The door jumper courtesy lamp is not a safety issue, nor an interior light. I use the driver's door and the left rear door about 25 times a day, slamming both equally shut. I think that switch breaks from the pure force of the slam shut. *german* "voomp!"

But let me tell you about a drive way for 4 months and when children needed to go somewhere ...we moved cars back and forth because of that rear door not closing. It psyuked!:D Over at whoretex the threads on bad door locks are like this, "I changed my oil and filtre, wash and waxed the car and picked up Sealed Sub-Subminiature Snap-Action Switches to repair my doors that would not shut.":D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
SoTxBill said:
your problem is that you have defective blue and red arrows pointed at the failed solder joints.. lol

what years are affected by the failing micro switches??
Dunno, I think everyone owning an MKIV will suffer that fait of Taxes, Death and Door Switches. Maybe all three.

It's been a subject on Vortex MKIV door locks explained since forever, maybe even before forever?

gus54rz

TDI
Moral of story,,,if you like vw 's you buy new and trade before warrenty expires,,,these are throw away cars,,,if you keep yours u better be a vw mech ,,,and like spending all ur free time replacing parts. VW doesn't stand behind there cars,,, Honda Diesel with timing chain,,,,this car will be the death of the vw diesel ,RIP !!!

Last edited:

gus54rz

TDI
VW isnt aware of any latch problem ?????? HA !

All the chicagoland VW dealerships i called had the latch's in stock, on hand,and no waiting ,,, odd there is no problem but they all stock this expensive part. Very interesting

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It seems to be a problem with all the A4 cars with the early style door locks (the ones that go "KA CHUNK" when they lock, not like the later cars that go "da chunk" :crazy:

-Jason

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
I had my driver's door lock replaced under warranty already, thought the door was always open. A.K.A. NFG alarm + dead battery
Real handy that bit.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
gus54rz said:
Moral of story,,,if you like vw 's you buy new and trade before warrenty expires,,,these are throw away cars,,,if you keep yours u better be a vw mech ,,,and like spending all ur free time replacing parts. VW doesn't stand behind there cars,,, Honda Diesel with timing chain,,,,this car will be the death of the vw diesel ,RIP !!!

Hmmm, and you think Honda does?

...and no doubt, timing chains are better than belts right?

I'll keep my A3 thank you! It's proven, reliable, and the belt is an easy replacement.

Incidently, these door lock issues don't happen on them either.

Guys, sounds to me like this thread started off with VW wanting to help. Call the number and report back to us about your experiences before you start bashing please.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Ah haaa, is that why my interior lights are intermittent at night when I unlock and get in? Well duh!

Time for some searching. If anyone has a good thread link for diagnosing and repair, please post up.

Thanks for the thread.

Jason

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
I called the number and gave my name address and “V.I.N.” and explained that my door latch switches were faulty. Also I paid VW to replace a faulty seat heater and new leather seat cover. She was very “text book” apologetic but no help. I figured that much. She stated by my V.I.N. number there are no recalls at this time. Basically the engine is the only thing built well. I guess once again, it’s out of pocket if I want it fixed.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Bill Britt quoted me $185.46 for the drivers side and $195.63 for the passenger side. parts no labor HAHAHA. is this the cost of ownership? Mine is a babied commuter. Not near durable enough...

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
compu_85 said:
It seems to be a problem with all the A4 cars with the early style door locks (the ones that go "KA CHUNK" when they lock, not like the later cars that go "da chunk" :crazy:

-Jason
What he said. It seems VW made changes in the '03 MY and since then the bad solder connections as well as the "KA CHUNK" went away. I still don't believe the micro-switches have anything to do with whether or not the door latch closes, they only tell the ECU/alarm whether or not the door is open/closed/locked/unlocked. I fixed mine once with the help of the write-up at the Vortex in the A4 Golf Jetta maint. section. I'm not sure whether the write-up got over here. I did finally get a used module off an '03 and replaced the resoldered unit with not a bit of trouble since. YMMV ;)

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark of Diesel
Ok
I guess ill have to remove and solder..It looks labor intensive though

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Yeah, that's the problem and most of that is just getting to the module. No wonder it costs so much for the dealer to handle it.:(

gus54rz

TDI
Again ,,,if everybody call and documented they would do a recall or just keep saying they never heard of the problem,,, [ although all VW dealers stock these parts ]. call up and let them know u are not going to pay 400.00 + per side because a 50 cent part failed.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
I did call, register and complain that 50 cent part the dealer charges neariy 200 bucks for. Thats not labor included.

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
My drivers side went recently as well... and of course the dealer had plenty in stock and knew what the problem was right away :rolleyes:. I was lucky enough to have it covered by warrenty, but this seems to be an obvious issue. Is there a diffrent number for Canada to file my complaint?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Monday

I 'll call on Monday and let you know what they tell me. I have been fighting this on and off for several years. The most annoying part is when you get in you only have 30 seconds to turn the ignition or to have someone open the other door. Anything that tells the computer that a door had been opened.

gus54rz

TDI
thanks,,, they would be good cars if not for all the little 500 and 1000 dollar things that go wrong,,,,its a shame there not standing behind this,, mabey they will if they hear from enough VW owners.