Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Picked up my black on black Passat SEL Premium today (I seem to be one of the only ones wanting a Passat). Have a 90% deal on a black SEL sportwagen for the girlfriend. I purchased, she will lease.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I guess I am late to the game. I had called 5 dealers in southern California and none of them had the manual transmission Jetta's. However, if you are looking for DSG almost ever dealer had few of them available. One of them mentioned that there are thousand of thousands of 2016's in the port but he had no idea whether they would ever be available for sale. Well I guess I will be sticking to my 2010 TDI's for now.

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Joining the club...again

I spent the better part of the last 3 days helping my family get into a 2015 TDI. They current drive my old 2010 Jetta TDI and wanted one of for their own when I go through with the buyback.

The dealers
Each dealer had about 10-20 TDIs, most of them GSWs or Passats. Majority wanted MSRP. I went to 7 dealers total:

• One offered MSRP, plus 1.00% APR for 72 months and $5K incentive
  • One offered MSRP+$2500, plus 0% APR for 72 months and $5K incentive
  • One offered Invoice, plus 0% APR for 72 months and $5K incentive
  • 3 offered MSRP, plus 0% APR for 72 months and $5K incentive
  • One offered Invoice+$200, plus 0% APR for 72 months and $5K incentive
The car
The last dealership was what we pulled the trigger on. They had a Pure White SEL GSW, which was what we were looking for. We took the $200 over invoice as a premium to get the trim we wanted, instead of getting a White S GSW offered at invoice. This particular dealer parked their car outside in their rooftop garage. It hasnt received the Phase 1 emissions fix yet (waiting on parts), so we cannot take delivery or do a test drive. Delivery is in a few weeks pending a thorough inspection by yours truly.

The deal

With that deal, the $5k rebate, and $0 down, we ended up at $415/month for 72-months.
MSRP: $32700
Selling Price: $31692
Cap Cost: $29887 (Selling price + $3195.80 tax/title - $5k rebate)

Added a Care Plus maintenance plan ($988, up to 5yr/50k) and Platinum-equivalent warranty ($1401, 7yr/100k) administered by Portfolio Protection. Not sure about the warranty, so I may recommend to have it refunded. The $415 figure is just the car and fees, the add-ons we paid upfront. Dealer also threw in a set of splash guards.

EDIT: We initially took a Tungsten Silver SE GSW, but felt the Pure White SEL was a better value given the opportunity. Family isnt too crazy about white cars, but they can live with it. Dealer let us change cars since we didnt take delivery yet.

More about the fixed cars
All 2015 TDIs sold new will have an extended emissions warranty for 11yr/162k (or 5yr/60 from Phase 1 modification date). Warranty covers

• Entire exhaust after treatment system
  • Entire fuel system
  • EGR system
  • Turbo
  • OBD system
All sold TDI cars get a info packet about the fix and extended warranty. I tried to get info about refurbishing the cars, but wasnt able to.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I guess I am late to the game. I had called 5 dealers in southern California and none of them had the manual transmission Jetta's. However, if you are looking for DSG almost ever dealer had few of them available. One of them mentioned that there are thousand of thousands of 2016's in the port but he had no idea whether they would ever be available for sale. Well I guess I will be sticking to my 2010 TDI's for now.
that is the second time I have heard that in two weeks on the 16s.....the first from a dealer in the metro denver area who actually had received a few of these that they were never able to sell.....

so does this mean they haven't shipped the 16 tdi's somewhere else?

could these be the next cars to be released for sale once all or almost all of 15s are gone???

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I spent the better part of the last 3 days helping my family get into a 2015 TDI. They current drive my old 2010 Jetta TDI and wanted one of for their own when I go through with the buyback.

The dealers
Each dealer had about 10-20 TDIs, most of them GSWs or Passats. Majority wanted MSRP. I went to 7 dealers total:

• One offered MSRP, plus 1.00% APR for 72 months
  • One offered MSRP+$2500, plus 0% APR for 72 months
  • One offered Invoice, plus 0% APR for 72 months
  • 3 offered MSRP, plus 0% APR for 72 months
  • One offered Invoice+$200, plus 0% APR for 72 months
The car

The last dealership was what we pulled the trigger on. They had a Tungsten Silver SE GSW, which was what we were looking for. We took the $200 over invoice as a premium to get the color we wanted, instead of getting a White S GSW offered at invoice. This particular dealer parked their car outside in their rooftop garage.

The deal

With that deal and $0 down, we ended up at $380/month for 72-months. Added a Care Plus maintenance plan ($988, up to 5yr/50k) and Platinum-equivalent warranty ($1401, 7yr/100k) administered by Portfolio Protection. Not sure about the warranty, so I may recommend to have it refunded.

There was a small chip in the rear bumper, near the edge of the panel. Instead of letting them repaint the whole bumper and compromising the factory paint, I had them throw in a set of mud flaps.

More about the fixed cars
All 2015 TDIs sold new will have an extended emissions warranty for 11yr/162k (or 5yr/60 from Phase 1 modification date). Warranty covers

• Entire exhaust after treatment system
  • Entire fuel system
  • EGR system
  • Turbo
  • OBD system
All sold TDI cars get a info packet about the fix and extended warranty. I tried to get info about the refurbishing the cars, but wasnt able to.
That's great that you got into a tdi but wouldn't it have been worth it to search more or dealers or maybe even out of state for the 5000+ off msrp? It seems ridiculous to be paying msrp prices for a 3 year old car... doesn't matter if it only has 100 miles on it, still 3 years old

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
That's great that you got into a tdi but wouldn't it have been worth it to search more or dealers or maybe even out of state for the 5000+ off msrp? It seems ridiculous to be paying msrp prices for a 3 year old car... doesn't matter if it only has 100 miles on it, still 3 years old
Sorry, I forgot to add that all the dealers gave me the $5K on top of their offer.

So in my deal, I got the 0% APR and the $5K on top of Invoice+$200. In the end, I got about $6000 under MSRP.

Last edited:

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
that is the second time I have heard that in two weeks on the 16s.....the first from a dealer in the metro denver area who actually had received a few of these that they were never able to sell.....
so does this mean they haven't shipped the 16 tdi's somewhere else?
could these be the next cars to be released for sale once all or almost all of 15s are gone???
Kinda doubt we will be seeing 16 tdi's. I dont think they were ever certified by the epa. In order to sell them I would guess they would need to meet the current emissions standads. Witch the 2015 "fix" was a compromise reached with the EPA and it Cleary said emissions are higher than original certification.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
tdi54;5268332 ... One of them mentioned that there are thousand of thousands of 2016's in the port but he had no idea whether they would ever be available for sale. Well I guess I will be sticking to my 2010 TDI's for now.[/QUOTE said:
Who did you speak to at that dealer. The owner? The General Manager? The Sales Manager. A Salesperson? The janitor?

VW was selling around 300k cars per year when the scandal hit. About 25% were TDI. So 75,000 2016 TDIs would approximate their anticipated sales for the whole model year. But the scandal and subsequent withdrawal of the application for emissions certification happened in September 2015 (the first month that 2016s were available),yet there are "thousand of thousands" of 2016 cars in the port.

Wake up and smell what you're shoveling.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I drove into my local dealership here in central Ohio on Friday at noontime. Saw a couple of TDIs in their lot and they came out to me. I tell them I am looking for a new tdi, he shows me a list of 6 or 7 of them on a piece of paper, I asked if any were manual and no they were all DSG.

On the list I saw an S model GSW in dark blue with black interior. Stickered at 26,849.
After a nice test drive we went and talked numbers. He comes back with the 5k off and 0 for 72, or a 2 year lease with 8500 off. I knew I was in it for the long haul so I did the purchase option.

They tried to get me for 799 for the scotch guard paint and interior protection they say was already applied 2 years ago, I declined to pay for that and they took it off.

Then I was signing the long form but noticed it was listed at 1% for 72.. umm no.

All in all I have a 2015 new car, with new car smell and 1000 miles on it, this one didn't sit around, it got used on occasion. I got 5k off, 72 mo same as cash, with taxes and fees it was like $348 a month.

Also has the monster mats, cargo organizer, and emergency kit.

I am happy, and was on my way home by 2pm.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Oh yeah, when I dropped by on Saturday to pick up my 2003 wagon, salesman came out and told me they sold every one of them yesterday.

They are gone. If you want one, better hurry.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Nice Growler! I love that color! My parents got the same car but SE with all available options including xenon's for $22700 with 200 miles on the clock. It helped that I called the dealer and said I have spent over a million with them over the years so now it's their turn to hook us up.

Drove it this evening, the Fender audio is super nice, seats are comfortable, all it needs now is a couple of tunes. ;)

Imanco

TDI
2013 passat TDI SE.... turned in. 2015 Jetta SE
I tried to purchase a blue 2015 jetta SE sedan , with connectivity, from a dealership in maryland yesterday, they agreed to take off the 5000 rebate, if i were financing through VW, , did not buy because the final numbers were off. here was the breakdown
Market value selling price - 25453
discount (1000)
rebate (5000)
Adjusted price 19453
dealer value package 595 (dont understand)
destination 910 (overpriced)
Total purchase 20958

processing fee 300
tax 1575
non tax fee 299
Net Price 23132

Almost four thousand in taxes and hidden fees

Any one with similar experience?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I tried to purchase a blue 2015 jetta SE sedan , with connectivity, from a dealership in maryland yesterday, they agreed to take off the 5000 rebate, if i were financing through VW, , did not buy because the final numbers were off. here was the breakdown
discount (1000)
rebate (5000)
Adjusted price 19453
Total purchase 20958

processing fee 300
tax 1575
non tax fee 299
Net Price 23132

I did. I went to a local dealer and they had a black/black S wagen w/ DSG. They were honoring the $5K off and 0% financing, however there was a $1,200 dealer added "technology" package. The total cost was almost $23K without tax+registration. I'm thinking total cost OTD would have been around $26K.

When I asked what this package was, they said it allowed me to track the car with an app on my phone. And it also included some clear protective film on the door edges and hood.

The wagen had new tires and they said they replaced the fuel filter. I did not check the battery.

They would not waive the tech package fee, so I walked. I don't regret it either. I really can't see paying $23K for a 2 year old car that's been sitting outside in a parking lot. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's about 5k more than what it's worth.

Last edited:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Nice Growler! I love that color! My parents got the same car but SE with all available options including xenon's for $22700 with 200 miles on the clock. It helped that I called the dealer and said I have spent over a million with them over the years so now it's their turn to hook us up.

Drove it this evening, the Fender audio is super nice, seats are comfortable, all it needs now is a couple of tunes. ;)
Wow, this is a great price on an SE with the lighting package, was it manual? I believe the sticker on those is in the 30K area.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
I bite the bullet... 2015 Sportwagen SEL, had to drive 360 miles to get it. The 2005 nor the 2015 minded that.. First impressions? The thing is VERY nice..

Imanco

TDI
2013 passat TDI SE.... turned in. 2015 Jetta SE
discount (1000)
rebate (5000)
Adjusted price 19453
Total purchase 20958

processing fee 300
tax 1575
non tax fee 299
Net Price 23132

dO I have to pay the dealer value package?, ask for reduction in the destination price or a waiver of non tax fee. Any one from Maryland with similar experience?

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
maryland?? Forget that dealer.. call John Duffey at Jeff D'Ambrosia VW in Downingtown, PA... The easiest, best deal on a car EVER! No add on crap to the price... Tell him the NH guys sent you!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
[...]
On the list I saw an S model GSW in dark blue with black interior. Stickered at 26,849.
[...]
All in all I have a 2015 new car, with new car smell and 1000 miles on it, this one didn't sit around, it got used on occasion. I got 5k off, 72 mo same as cash, with taxes and fees it was like $348 a month.[...]
Congrats on the new car.
I'm still shocked by the vanishing discounts (due to taxes etc); in your case, $348*72 is $25,056. I just didn't manage to convince myself to buy at that price, after spending over two hours looking at a very similar GSW S.

spendinit

TDI
2015 4 DR Golf TDI SEL
Turned in my favorite 2DR 2011 VW Golf Tdi. Concerns were no fix for this model. Turned in wifeys 2009 JSW TDI as well. Plan was to keep my Golf until 2018 and hope for the best. However, release of 2015 TDI's and the $18,400 payout for the Golf TDI pushed me toward making a decision.
I took a deal on a 2015 4Dr VW Golf TDI DSG SEL. Sticker $30,200.00 Deal $1000.00 off MSRP, $5000.00 off VW discount. Price $24000.00 plus Tax yada yada.. $27,000.00. Considering the $1000.00 gift cards, $850.00 tax rebate from purchase of the 2011 Golf. I feel as though I made the right choice for me.
These cars are going fast, its a 2 year old car yes, but, its a 2 year old brand new car with a very public history. I never intended to sell my 2 TDI's, and I plan to keep this one.
Advice for those sitting on the fence, They will all be gone sooner than later, don't wait. The difference in the price you paid for your old TDI and the buyback amount towards a new TDI IMO is a no brainer if you love TDI's.
BTW wifeys 2009 JSW TDI $16,000.00 Buy Back went towards the 2017 Passat SEL.
So far the 2015 Golf TDI SEL is impressing me with the performance and MPG's

Last edited:

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
I would temper the BUY IT NOW logic with "It depends upon the car and options" in my mind.. for instance a local dealer had 80 cars all the GSWs were autos. A stick GSW in SE or SEL trim? Not so much...

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Well I am one of those saying "at those prices, I would never buy one". So what did I do, I am purchasing a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium, gold exterior, dark grey interior. Got the Invoice price, minus the $5,000.00 @ 0% APR for 72 months, plus mudflaps thrown in and an extra $1,000.00 off. They stored their TDI's inside a warehouse they have and they cleaned it up extremely well. I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with the air bag recall and my wife won't drive it with the grand kids. Love the car but kind of useless if she won't drive it even though the risk is small. So I will sell it back and apply that to the new one and only have to come up with a couple of grand. Drove it yesterday and the only thing I noticed is it didn't seem to have the acceleration as my 2013. Maybe it will after it gets broken in and the rings seat and etc or it just was me. But I do like it. Pulled the engine cover off and the oil filter is not on top anymore, and I could see why. Lots of crap there now and a large aluminum piece of equipment there which I have no idea what it is. So I am going to learn what is what in this engine. SO when it came to buying one of these, I should never say never.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The large aluminum chunk is the air to water intercooler.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Well I am one of those saying "at those prices, I would never buy one". So what did I do, I am purchasing a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium, gold exterior, dark grey interior. Got the Invoice price, minus the $5,000.00 @ 0% APR for 72 months, plus mudflaps thrown in and an extra $1,000.00 off.
Awesome deal!

Cant believe you got $1k under invoice when everyone else is offering at least MSRP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a beautiful color, Growler. I'm jealous. I ended up with white on black, manual. Picking it up tomorrow. I haven't had a white car since my '06, so it'll be a nice change. Gives me an excuse to get a tint.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it is because I have purchased a couple of VW's from them and buy my 507 oil
& filters from them. They actually price their oil cheap enough that I can't find them cheaper on line. Parts guy said when he took over he lowered the prices and now he sells so much as before that they are money ahead in the bank. Imagine that!

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I think it is because I have purchased a couple of VW's from them and buy my 507 oil
& filters from them.
Still! I bought and serviced my old TDI from the same dealership for 90k.

This time around when it came to looking for a 2015, the manager was firm on MSRP less rebate and and 1.00% APR. Needless to say, I went elsewhere and got a better deal.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked the dealer yesterday if all the dealers were advertising the same financing and he said all of them have been instructed to offer the $5,000.00 discount @ 72 Mo. or the $8,500 discount @ the 2 year lease. He showed me the notice from VW of America. I did notice that one in Vegas is offering them lower than this, at lease according to Cars.com. But due to the distance I never contacted them.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I asked the dealer yesterday if all the dealers were advertising the same financing and he said all of them have been instructed to offer the $5,000.00 discount @ 72 Mo. or the $8,500 discount @ the 2 year lease. He showed me the notice from VW of America. I did notice that one in Vegas is offering them lower than this, at lease according to Cars.com. But due to the distance I never contacted them.
Despite of this some dealers go to 0.9% for 72 probably due to increased demand. I called VW about this and they said a dealer has a right to sell at whatever it sells for and they can not force anybody to adhere to 5K off and 0 at 72 even though it is available from VW