Blower works on High only

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
The wife called tonight and said her blower only works on high. Is this a fairly easy matter of replacing the blower motor resistor???Anyone have the same thing and replaced it themselves??

Funny this is I just had to repalce the blower motor resistor in Sprinter for the same reason last week.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Boatman, If you post this in the correct forum you will likely get better responses. This is for the MK6's, your sig says '04..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i second what Joe Meehan says. if its anything like an mk4 car, it's really easy to take out the glovebox and replace both the blower motor + resistor pack. you can get OEM VW ones from 1stvwparts.com for about $275 shipped (for an mk4 motor + resistor pack). idparts carries only meyle blower motors + resistor packs last i checked, but they are less than half the price. for how relatively easy it is to replace them, i'd be tempted to just go with meyle if i were doing the work myself.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies... yes this is on the JSW.

I think she is just over 36K on the JSW.

I hate to do this but I'm going to have to let her take it to the dealer. I live in NY and she is in the military near DC so I won't get the chance to look at it for a few weeks. She bought the extended warranty (against my wishes) so I hope they cover it.

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
Thanks for the replies... yes this is on the JSW.

I think she is just over 36K on the JSW.

I hate to do this but I'm going to have to let her take it to the dealer. I live in NY and she is in the military near DC so I won't get the chance to look at it for a few weeks. She bought the extended warranty (against my wishes) so I hope they cover it.
If she bought the extended warranty, they should cover it.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
N24 Resistor. It's a $50 part and is easy to replace. It's next to the pollen filter.
That's the info I was looking to hear.

She had the moldy smell issue that the dealer took care of, with some sort of spray, replacing the pollen filter and cleaning the drain. Wondering if there is any correlation between the two??

Also,,, is his a "common" issue? With the Sprinters, it's so common the dealers usually have a couple in stock. Takes about 1.5 minutes to change.

PureDope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Your wife's blower is supposed to work only on high :D sorry couldn't resist.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a pic of the resistor I pulled from the Sprinter. It's balck but the new one was white like yours. I'm willing to be they are the same unit. $37 from Mercedes.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem was the resistor. She didn't realise the extended warranty had a $100 deductible so the the $155 repair cost her $100. What a rip-off. But it's fixed and sh'es happy.:rolleyes:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
.. She didn't realise the extended warranty had a $100 deductible so the the $155 repair cost her $100. What a rip-off. But it's fixed and sh'es happy.:rolleyes:
She may be ahead of most owners. Most owners never make a claim so the total cost of the *extended warranty* is a loss. It is not a warranty, but rather it is an expensive insurance policy.

Any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.

Good Luck

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the original warranty run out? If not, I would demand my money back.

Original warranty expired a couple hundred miles ago. When the problem started she was still under warranty but couldn't get it in before 36k. :rolleyes:

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
She may be ahead of most owners. Most owners never make a claim so the total cost of the *extended warranty* is a loss. It is not a warranty, but rather it is an expensive insurance policy.

This is the reason I don't buy extended warranties.... I couldn't talk her out of it (that salesman at Langhorn really sold it well!).