Picked up the new Beetle TDI (first impressions) Some issues already.

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
Well the car rides so smooth. Very impressed with the acceleration.

A little about the car:

1999 New Beetle TDI
83K miles
Standard transmission

Some issues that I noticed and was wondering about:

AC Blew warm, the compressor engaged but no cold air ( I have a r134 recharge kit already)

Check engine light is on

The car accelerates up through 2900-3200 RPM then seems like it is going to die. The harder I push the more it seems like it is going to stall. Prior to this it all seems pretty powerful (compared to my non-turbo mercedes 240D)

The alarm turns on and off at whim after I fiddled with it a while it now stays off or on as ordered.

Thoughts, tips suggestions? The thing worrying me most is the hesitation at moderate rpms. Is this due to the fuel pump regulating the flow? My mercedes cannot blow up because of the regulator built into the fuel pump. Is it the same on TDI's?

Thanks again for any help.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
I have an '02 NB, so this may or may not be relevant.

Re: AC - put in dye, and its even money you will find the compressor is leaking. Take that back, wont even bet that for even money. The compressor sits low to the ground and can (and does) get battered. A local mechanic claims he can reseal the compressor for around $100 + refridgerent cost. Mine is leaking, so Im going to take him up on this notion. Long way of saying that a new compressor may not be necessary if the reseal work.

One argument for a metal skid plate, which I dont have.

My car pulls hard to 4K (havent had it beyond that, but really no point. The power curve dies quickly) so Ill leave it to others to discuss your power situation. Prob. the first comment will be to disconnect the MAF and drive the car again.

Don

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
#1 reason for a check engine light... glow plugs... check resistance. In the 99's, the harness will tell you if you have a blown plug.

Best place to start on the 'limp mode' is the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. A dirty one will really bog you down.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
PlantPWR said:
AC Blew warm, the compressor engaged but no cold air ( I have a r134 recharge kit already)
Are you experienced with AC repairs? If not, I recommend you do NOT use the kit. Take the car to a shop that can evacuate the system (vacuum will also remove moisture that may have collected) and re-fill with EXACTLY the specified amont of refrigerant. The shop will also know when to use dye and any of the other additives that make O-rings swell and re-seal.

PlantPWR said:
Check engine light is on
You need someone with VAG COM to read the VW specific codes. Alternatively, a quick repair place may be able to provide you with the generic error codes that they can read. Post them here.

PlantPWR said:
The car accelerates up through 2900-3200 RPM then seems like it is going to die. The harder I push the more it seems like it is going to stall. Prior to this it all seems pretty powerful (compared to my non-turbo mercedes 240D)
A search for "MAF" will turn up tons of info. Chances are that yours is dead. Unplug the connector from the mass airflow sensor and test drive. did acceleration improve? If so, it is confirmed dead. If no change, it still may be dead. VAG COM can measure or you can swap it for a known good one from another TDI for testing. They are not expensive (anymore) to replace. Just order a new one from one of the vendors (about $90).

PlantPWR said:
The alarm turns on and off at whim after I fiddled with it a while it now stays off or on as ordered.
This may mean that the door lock module in the driver's door is acting up. Spray the heck out of the door lock switch as per this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77648&highlight=%243+fix+door+lock
and keep an eye on it. Sooner or later you may have to spend $3 on a new microswitch or do a bit of soldering on the lock circuit board.

Last edited:

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
Great replies!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer these issues for me. I am going to check the forum now for the MAF check proceedures. Looks like i'll be visiting the stealer. :)

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
DON'T :(
They most likely will brake something and they charge an arm and a leg for parts.
Check the vendors of the club. bleachedbora, tdiparts.com, etc.

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
Found MFS to be one of the issues & Vendor Love

Thanks for the great replies. I took the connector off of the MFS and the car no longer studders above 3200RPM. Seems to have lost some pickup. I am guessing that at least the MFS is bad. Ordering one tonight. Anyone have a vendor they love and trust?

Thanks again for the noob help.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
check my sig for important links (sorry not enough time this morning for a decent reply)

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I think you are on the right track with the tips already given. I will put another plug in for the need to check your intake manifold for cleaning. i had it done twice on my fomer 2000 beetle and was not horibly expensive. Seems like the dealer did it for under $300.

For your CEL the glow plugs are a good guess. You can check resistance on the glow plug with a simple meter. Good plugs have a resistance around 1-2 ohms as I recall. The bad are usually way over that. I would suggest you just change them as a preventative measure. They are fairly inexpensive online. If plugs check ok suspect a bad connection causing high resistance on the harness to the plugs.

Another vendor vendor I have had good luck with is:
www.worldimpex.com

Good luck with your new car.