Pics of my first TDI

rotorhead

Veteran Member
Real nice looking Golf there! I like that green.

I still haven't pulled off the sound shield of my TDI to see what up under there. lazy, I guess!

------------------
'00 New Beetle TDI ! Silver/Black/Lux/5spd
'98 Dodge/5.9TurboDieselCummins!(+lotsa old VW's)
reply to rotor.head@excite.com///nospam///
(remove ///nospam/// to reply)

Skippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon Blue
DZLKopf great car man... Great color to

How much were you light covers + installation and painting????

Mine went to almost 200$ kanadian....

Great CAR

------------------
UPsoluted Silver/Black Golf 2k GLS
My TDI

RichyP

nice car! But what is that horrid looking black 'thing' on the bonnet?! Don't tell me it is there to prevent small stone chips on the bonnet??? Sorry but to me that black thing looks awful and really messes up the look of a fine car

DZLKopf

Veteran Member
Because of dealer screw-ups getting the vehicle I wanted, I "settled for" this one provided he kept the monthly payments the same as our previous agreements. That meant that some of the options I originally asked for ended up becoming $0.00 items. Those items were the side and sunroof wind deflectors, and the rear taillight covers. He didn't want to paint the rear taillight covers, but I insisted, several times, until they painted them. I'm not too happy with the way they glued them on though, The strip between the top red, and the amber section isn't glued at all. I'm worried that it'll break during winter snow removal.

The "Big Black Thing" is no longer on the car. I took these pictures the day I got the bra, and then took it off about 1 week later. I've had the car for two months, and have about a dozen "to the metal" stone chips on the hood and side fenders, but none on the bumper or grille. I drive about 200km per day on 70-80mph highways frequented by large trucks with muddy wheels.

I've also removed the sunroof and side wind deflectors. The sunroof wind deflector was starting to leave a groove in the paint where the rubber rests on the body,

and the side wind deflectors put 1/2 inch long vertical scratches in the glass of the side windows from tiny bits of grit (dust) that gets trapped between the deflector and the glass. Every time I rolled the window up or down more scratches would appear.

So for now, the wind deflectors are gone, and the lower half of the bra is gone. I only use the upper part that goes on the hood. Even that will go as soon as I find another way to protect the paint.

------------------
DZLKopf
Drink Diesel, Eat Soot, Breathe NO2.... Hooah!

[This message has been edited by DZLKopf (edited October 29, 2000).]

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
You might think this is dumb, but it works. Try putting several (5-6) coats of Johnson's Paste Wax (you can still find it) on the affected area. It was originally formulated to protect wooden floors. I live in the country and must drive on oil-and-chip roads. I have never had chip problems using this method. A friend of mine uses that car polish that they use in the junkyard on the TV commercial. It works almost as well.

------------------
2k1 NB Yellow. No mods.
Putting my trust in German engineering.
Gisteren een droom...heden werkelykheid

DZLKopf

Veteran Member
I'm going to try the multi-coat wax. I have tried Johnsons Paste Wax, and don't like it. Too many swirls. I have one coat of Mothers California Gold, and will put on several more if you think it'll make a difference as far as stone chips go. Mothers makes a paste carnuba wax. I will probably go and get a can on monday afternoon.

I took the pics with a Nikon Coolpix700. Nikon makes the BEST digital cameras.
(flame suit on)

The rear tail-light covers are glued on with black glue. I don't think it's epoxy or RTV. The dealerships body shop painted and installed them. And, yes I do believe that they're on there permanently. (well, I hope so)

------------------
DZLKopf
Drink Diesel, Eat Soot, Breathe NO2.... Hooah!

[This message has been edited by DZLKopf (edited October 29, 2000).]