Gonna need some help.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
The last few days my glow plug light started flashing and I lose all power. It only does it once in awhile but it finally threw a CEL. So I pull out the VCDS and find out it's a over boost condition. I just had my turbo replaced within 20k miles so I took it to the dealership hoping it would be covered under the extended TDI warranty. No luck. But I had them run the diagnostic always and had them look at an oil leak. Heres the results

-leaking from valve cover gasket $1300
-turbo wastegate diaphragm fault $1102
-coolant fan faulty $640

I'm not paying them to do that. Service writer claimed the valve cover gasket is pretty in depth to do. I'm having a hard time believing that. Has anyone ever done one before?

Also is the wastegate diaphragm referred to a vane actuator?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I thought the tdi warranty covered almost any check engine light except those caused by the transmission. Maybe call vw customer care and start a case with them, worst case you are where you are at now.

I have taken coolant fans out of my ‘05 new beetle, I don’t think a passat would be as difficult as that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most all of this should be covered, especially the turbocharger issue... the VNT actuator is part of the turbo.

Yes, the valve cover gasket is pretty involved.

Yes, the cooling fan is pretty involved.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Issue is...you went to the dealer. Have you checked with a trusted Indy in your area?

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Guess I’ll call VOA and see what they say before trying to fix myself. I really don’t want to go to a Indy cause the only one I know of doesn’t like to return calls and I don’t trust a business that’s too busy to take or callback a customer.

Oilhammer is there any special tools needed to do these jobs? I feel like I’m a good mechanic, no job is too big it’s just if I can make the time to get it done.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The turbocharger is 100% covered under the extended emissions warranty. That's a sleazy dealership. I'd take it to another dealer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How long ago was the turbo replaced? (you mentioned 20K), was it before or after you received the emissions modification (and extended warranty).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It doesn't really matter when the turbo was replaced as long as the extended emissions warranty is in effect. It could fail 20 times during the warranty period and it would still be covered each time.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
The turbo failed within the tdi coverage. I placed a claim thru VOA today. My tdi extended warranty was 400 miles away from ending when I brought it in last week. Hopefully all of these issues will get fixed cause it happened within the warranty and was brought in before it expired. I'd like to think that the turbo failure somehow caused the fan and leaking valve cover gasket too but I doubt it lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It doesn't really matter when the turbo was replaced as long as the extended emissions warranty is in effect. It could fail 20 times during the warranty period and it would still be covered each time.

No argument here, just merely curious if the dealer toofed a turbo replacement, almost sounds like they botched it, slightly crimped oil line? But I'm also surprised it took that long to fail if they were to blame.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Good news VOA just called and will.be fixing the turbo issues under warranty and might fix the fans and valve cover leak if they can link them to the turbo issue.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Update. Dealership only fixed the turbo. The fans were fine someone unplugged one of the fans. But the oil leak has gotten bad enough now I need to fix. Is there a write up somewhere?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just think you could have paid them $640 to repair your fans ;)