Euro Switch

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Just ordered a Euro switch and its on its way here... I am not very competent with electrical and wiring so I just had a couple quick questions that I'm sure you guys can answer.

Is the switch just plug and play into the current harness? As far as I know there are 2 lights on the front of the car, headlights and blinkers and when you turn the lights on at night it puts the blinkers on and the tail lights. So if I were to wire fogs into that switch, how would I do that?

I've also been looking at some random headlights that have the projector and the reflector, with the DRL strip and would the euro switch work with all of those lights?

Thanks guys,
Ben

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The switch is plug and play but unless you modify something, the DRLs will still come on. You will need to bend over the TFL pin on the switch to disable them. Since the DRL uses the headlight bulbs, you can't easily use them for something else (it's been done though).

As far as fogs/driving lights and even a rear fog - the easiest way is to buy what's called a 'repair wire' that has the correct pins to add to the headlight switch wiring connector (there are several unused spots - google for the pinout). Then run the new wire to a relay and to the fog/driving lights. Several vendors sell retrofit kits, but really - just a simple relay, fuse holder and some wire.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
The switch is plug and play but unless you modify something, the DRLs will still come on. You will need to bend over the TFL pin on the switch to disable them. Since the DRL uses the headlight bulbs, you can't easily use them for something else (it's been done though).

As far as fogs/driving lights and even a rear fog - the easiest way is to buy what's called a 'repair wire' that has the correct pins to add to the headlight switch wiring connector (there are several unused spots - google for the pinout). Then run the new wire to a relay and to the fog/driving lights. Several vendors sell retrofit kits, but really - just a simple relay, fuse holder and some wire.
Do I really need a relay for a couple of 1.5 amp LED pods? I have them wired up to a random switch rn and no problems

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Do I really need a relay for a couple of 1.5 amp LED pods? I have them wired up to a random switch rn and no problems
For an LED, I would say no. Still fuse it though.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Anybody know what type of pins go on the back of the headlight wiring harness? Trying to find some but don’t know what they’re called

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've also been looking at some random headlights that have the projector and the reflector, with the DRL strip and would the euro switch work with all of those lights?
Thanks guys,
Ben
Save yourself money and do a real projector retrofit made for HIDs. Those projectors in the ebay/depo/other headlights are made for halogen bulbs and it's a different bowl design because of how the light is thrown.

I also am installing the euro switch to operate fogs, driving lights, and a switchback led city/driving/turn signal light.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perfect!!! Thanks Nero!

You can purchase "repair wires" that have that connector and a length of wire to spice. That's what I've used each time - I should order some of the connectors themselves, but never remember to.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just pick up a handful at the wrecking yard whenever I'm there. But I'm getting to a close on what mods I want to do to my car lol

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I just pick up a handful at the wrecking yard whenever I'm there. But I'm getting to a close on what mods I want to do to my car lol

I supposed I could always do that. Just cut off the plugs with a good length of wire left. Good idea!!!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You just need to make sure the wire you remove from the connector is the proper gauge for whatever you're using it for. Otherwise it's a cheap solution.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
You just need to make sure the wire you remove from the connector is the proper gauge for whatever you're using it for.

Yeah, just need it for the fog light terminal. Should be easy after that

Last edited:

DrCotton

TDI
2005 mk4 Jetta TDI
Where to buy the parts for the switch

Where did you order everything for the euro switch I'm thinking of switching mine

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I got a $20 "Euro" switch from Feebay, chinese of course.
Pull the old switch, can't recall quite how it comes out, push and turn
iirc. Install new.

Now this does leave you with DRLs, but move the switch one click and
the "parking" or "city" lights come on, WITHOUT the headlight involved. I've got blue LEDs for daytime visibility and the rear lights are on as well. The blue does the job of catching one's eye.

If I forget to turn them on, hey, I've still got increased noticeability, I want to be seen.

So be aware that deleting the DRLs completely takes a bit of rewiring.
Spending a lot of time in Canada, where headlights on at all times
is the law, I'm happy to have a default DRL setting on the switch.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I thought forward-facing blue lights were illegal unless you were fire/EMS/police?
The blue LED is a spectrum color and is not the same as the blue lights you're referring to. As in a blue housing that contains a light, which are illegal in places where emergency personel use them.
Blue xenon and LED are the brightest lights made and I don't like when they get behind me.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Where did you order everything for the euro switch I'm thinking of switching mine
IDParts
Cascadegerman
ECS

All three vendors sell the Euro switch. I've read online that it's best to avoid the Chinese Euro switches, as they have a tendency to get stuck in the dash when the little plastic parts break. I spent the money and purchased a factory OEM Euro switch, with VW/Audi logos, made in Spain. Some of the vendors also sell wiring harnesses for the Euro switch and fog light upgrades. I purchased a wiring harness, which made the install fairly straight forward for a person of my mild mechanical abilities.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I thought forward-facing blue lights were illegal unless you were fire/EMS/police?

These are just the little parking light bulbs. No "projection" or focus,
just visibility. My guru informed me as I struggled getting the damn old
bulbs out of the golf headlight housing, that there were no restrictions in
PA as to color for parking lights. Your state may vary.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These are just the little parking light bulbs. No "projection" or focus,
just visibility. My guru informed me as I struggled getting the damn old
bulbs out of the golf headlight housing, that there were no restrictions in
PA as to color for parking lights. Your state may vary.
It really comes down to much a pain the officer wants to be. I got a ticket maybe 10 years ago for having green LED headlight washers (EMS use only) by a local cop. This town is like hazzard county with Rosco... count to 3 at a stop sign - people ticketed for 33 in a 30, etc... I see LED light bars all the time now that are obviously not legal along with red/blue/green head and driving lights - they just must not drive through the same town!