TDI Oil Pans

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Um, no such thing as an "ALH Gas model", far as I know.

Are you asking about 2.0, 1.8T, or VR6 oil pan?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
A gas 2.0l pan would be the same. A 1.8T pan would work, but you would have to block off the turbo oil return opening.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
A gas 2.0l pan would be the same. A 1.8T pan would work, but you would have to block off the turbo oil return opening.
I noticed on all of the non TDI models on the junkyard today that they have a metal cover like on the tranny. Can that cover be used on a TDI?

dubrs.com

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Could you use a 1.8 pan and use the turbo oil return to plumb up a CCV catch can drain point?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
I noticed on all of the non TDI models on the junkyard today that they have a metal cover like on the tranny. Can that cover be used on a TDI?

dubrs.com
Do you mean a skid plate? I love mine, never have to worrry about bottoming out in potholes. I probably have a few 10 mil sockets sitting on top of it though :)

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you mean a skid plate? I love mine, never have to worrry about bottoming out in potholes. I probably have a few 10 mil sockets sitting on top of it though :)
Yes, the skid plate. Had a brain fart. Still wondering if it can be used on a TDI. If not, what the hell VW.

Oh, I have lost a few 10mm sockets in the junkyard.

dubrs.com

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Yes, the skid plate. Had a brain fart. Still wondering if it can be used on a TDI. If not, what the hell VW.

Oh, I have lost a few 10mm sockets in the junkyard.

dubrs.com
Depends. I have one on mine but I don't know what brand it is. But I'd highly recommend, its very cheap insurance on all your expensive stuff down there :)

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Your talking about one that just surrounds the oil pan? I would imagine it would take a lot of cutting because of the A/C compressor mounting on an ALH.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The early AEG cars had some different oil pan protectors. Some were a steel cage looking thing (NBs continued to get some of these), some were a thick plastic thing.

I put one of the thick plastic ones from a 2000 AEG Jetta on my 2000 ALH Golf, lined with foam. It fits fine. I did it for noise and thermal protection, not sure how much it helps, but it certainly cannot hurt. The steel skidplate underneath the car protects it from impacts.

You can interchange all the A4 platform 4 cyl oil pans, however the big two-piece ones designed for cars with the balance shafts will need clearancing on the ALH due to the A/C compressor location. The AWW/AWP 1.8t oil pans also have the turbo oil drain hole that would need to be filled.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Your talking about one that just surrounds the oil pan? I would imagine it would take a lot of cutting because of the A/C compressor mounting on an ALH.
Yes. I'm not sure since I didn't have a TDI in the yard to compare it to the gassers. But, I checked on my engine and it seems to have the same mounting points for the oil pan skid plate (cage) as the gasser version.

dubrs.com

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen those metal protector plates bend up and crack the pan.
Crap, that's not good. I was going to get one soon and see if it fits. All, but one of the ones in the yard still had their black paint on them, and the one that didn't just had a scrape or two on it.

dubrs.com

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
Im using a hybrid pan. It has worked great so far. It did need very slight modification. I like to think that it will dent instead of shatter if I (or my wife or son) hit something. Ive been trying to locate a backup metal bottom, haven't had any luck finding them alone yet. Seems like a spare on hand (or in the trunk) would be good if it worked as hoped when making rock contact.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Due to you seeming to be fairly new to these Vdubs, I'll reiterate what others have said:
A Metal Skid Plate will protect everything down there, tranny and oil pan. The brand I have used and liked is the dieselgeek.com "Panzer Plate" with their "Full Metal Jacket" sides. Another brand is the "Evolution plate" ive never used it, but many people on this forum use either variation. Installation is easy, and oil changes, in my opinion, are no pain or fuss.
The plastic skid plates only help shield from small road debris, pebbles and similar. Any significant impact could still be catostrophic(semi tire, etc)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced my pan last night and you're right, even though the engine has the mounting points, it looks like the compressor would get in the way.

dubrs.com