Is my EGR Valve shot?

baminem

TDI
2005 golf tdi
Hi there.

My EGR is leaking.

I know there's been plenty of discussion on leaky EGR valves, I've done a fair amount of reading but haven't found a solid answer. So here's my question. Are my EGR valve seals definitely done for once it starts leaking, or would giving it a good cleaning possibly deal with the leak. I've read that once the seals go that you'll need to replace it. Looking in from the anti-shudder valve it doesn't appear too clogged up. I haven't taken a look at the intake yet.

Any advice on catching some of the oil until I deal with the problem. If there's no point cleaning it I'll just order a new one to deal with the leak.

Also I've got oil running down the back of the engine and down the transmission, anyone have any advice for cleaning this up. I'm assuming some kind of degreaser and a brush is my only option here.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Once oil starts coming out of the weep hole for the egr valve, it's done. Replace and clean up the spilled oil.

As for the rest, it could be the valve cover, or oil that's flowed over from the egr valve across the valve cover. Just degreaser and water it off.

baminem

TDI
2005 golf tdi
Once oil starts coming out of the weep hole for the egr valve, it's done. Replace and clean up the spilled oil.

As for the rest, it could be the valve cover, or oil that's flowed over from the egr valve across the valve cover. Just degreaser and water it off.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the Valve cover once I get everything cleaned up.